Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last several mornings Sadie and Pooh Bear have been going crazy sniffing around the shed in the back yard. Also sniffing around the lawn tractor which is covered with a cover. This morning they were trying to climb up on the tractor and under it and all around it. I even thought I saw something move inside the machine. I brought them inside and took my shower to get ready for work. I get out of the shower and look at Sadie and she has a small red, slightly bleeding spot under her ear. It is about the size of a thumbnail. I freaked out and called hubbie to come home from work and look at her. He comes right home and looks and said something got her. He said maybe a rat bit her. Emergency vet is about to close for the morning, so I have to wait an hour for my regular vet to open. She is acting fine though. I explained what happened to emergency vet and they said it sounded more like a racoon or possum, that they didn't think a rat would face down a dog and bite them. It isn't a snake bite. Anyway, it doesn't look that bad, but I am still very nervous and scared for her until I can get to the vet. After the vet appt. Hubbie will try to find out what the creature is that is hiding out in the lawn tractor.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Aww! Well I hope Sadie turns out just fine. And I hope your hubbie gets the thing in the tractor so it doesn't bite either poor beagle!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
poor Sadie ... I hope that it was just a harmless creature and that she will be fine !!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope Sadie is o.k. We dont have racoons or possums here. All ours can get bitten by are rats or snakes, but the latter are rare. Hope your next post says all is well.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope Miss Sadie will mend with no problems. My guess would be that the vet might give her an antibiotic and a rabies booster. Hope to hear that she's doing fine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hope all is well with the dog.

We dont have racoons, but rats are a worry. Ditto for toads, which are small at the moment so perfect size for puppy investigations. They are poisonous and a lot of dogs die from biting them.

One of our puppies got bitten on the ear yesterday too... by herself! Those floppy ears just get in the way sometimes during playtime /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadie is OK! Sorry, we did see the vet first thing this morning and I had to go on to work. I guess I am sheepishly embarrassed. It turned out to be a hot spot. They had been sniffing and going crazy around the shed this morning. They were very persistant and kept acting like a critter was under the shed and under the rider lawn mower. I had brought them in under protest and took my shower. After my shower I noticed Sadie had a red bleeding spot under her ear that I had not noticed before. Me, being the panicky Beagle Mom that I am thought she had been bitten by something. The vet shaved the area and examined it and cleaned it up and we determined it was not a bite, but a hot spot. Better save than sorry though.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Don't feel embarassed! I'm a worrier too and would have done exactly the same thing!

All indictions pointed to her being bitten, I know how crazy the beags get when the smell something and I would have been convinced it was an animal bite too.

Phew!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Sadie is OK. I'd have done the same thing. You're a good mommy taking her in to be checked out. Has your vet started giving you a frequent client discount yet?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad everything turned out OK!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts