Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a pretty good chance Barney (12 1/2) may have Cushing's disease. He shows no symptoms other than drinking/peeing a lot (which he has pretty much always done), but one liver enzyme was WAY elevated after a blood test the other day.

He goes for an 8-hour blood test tomorrow morning for a more specific diagnosis, which may be followed soon by an ultrasound and a barium test (to determine the cause of an 8 pound weight loss since spring, and some recent empty-stomach vomiting). He also has a heart murmur that has unfortunately progressed over the past couple of years.

We know the Cushing's can be managed, but are not looking forward to the HUGE expenses coming our way for diagnosis and treatment. I was told today that all the testing and loading dose of medication could run up to $1,000. :eek: He's definitely worth it, but that's a big old chunk of change for people surviving on one part-time job and one on unemployment.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's a really tough situation. Sorry to hear about it... hope Barney will be okay in the end and that it won't be as bad as they think it is.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Barney!
I hope the source of his problems can be determined. Testing certainly can be expensive and time consuming. Our Spook went through the barium testing to determine the cause of regurgitation. It took all day, but he was such a good boy.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First, drinking/peeing a lot can mean so many different things as can one elevated liver enzyme. Getting a Cushings diagnosis can be scary but the key is educating yourself and making certain that Barney is being diagnosed accurately by a vet who is well versed in all the aspects of Cushings. I would strongly recommend that your vet refer you to an internist who specializes in Cushings diagnosis/treatment. Make certain that you obtain copies of all of Barney's test results. I would also recommend that you join and start reading on this website: Canine Cushings.
The members are unbelieveably knowledgeable and supportive and can offer immediate suggestions as to testing recommendations, interpretations, etc. My Maggie has both atypical and typical Cushings (atypical being increased hormones other than cortisol; typical is increased cortisol). Testing and loading can be expensive but, once you get over that hump, treatment costs drop significantly. If Barney gets a definitive Cushings diagnosis, the Cushings forum is a good place to help you decide whether to proceed with treatment by weighing all the options.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you can there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion either...Chipper was diagnosed with Addison's about three years ago, and that was going to be like Cushings is, spendy. And we had a similar situation as far as financing is concerned. We took him to another vet over the weekend, who tested him, and started piecing things together found out he had gotten heat stroke from the warming of the metal container at the groomer's...it wasn't Addison's at all. So like human's it pays to ask another person who doesn't see our pets as often.

Another suggestion that I just found out about myself is there are organizations out there who will help with medical expenses of our pets. The best one I have found thus far, is The Pet Fund. But google help with animal medical expenses and you'll get some answers. Maybe even others here know of agencies that could help you out.

At any rate, please let us know what's up. In the meantime, we'll be praying for you both.

Cathy J
Cobi and Casie's mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: cobismom Another suggestion that I just found out about myself is there are organizations out there who will help with medical expenses of our pets. The best one I have found thus far, is The Pet Fund.
Here is a link to a thread in this same Health and Welfare section to groups/companies that can help with expenses:
Funding Sources

1 - 8 of 8 Posts