Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy has had very runny poops for 3 or 4 days now. I changed her from Nutro Ultra about 3 weeks ago to Blue Buffalo. She was fine up until a few days ago so I don't think it's the food. I did give her some canned pumpkin this afternoon. I haven't noticed a difference yet but it may not be through her system yet. How long does the pumpkin typically take to firm things up? Would it take the new food this long to show that it doesn't agree with her?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Usually if when changing food it they have stomach problems, it's within a day or two from the change.
It might be just a virus or something. Try giving her just white rice (steamed) with a spoon full of canned pumpking until she is good again. She will probably be fine in a day or two, but if not - back to the vet is what I would do.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Usually the canned pumpkin works pretty quickly for mine - and Eleanor has good advice. Rice is good - it's easy to digest. If it doesn't clear up soon, I'd call the vet just to be on the safe side. When mine do have poops, it's usually from eating something they shouldn't!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Runny Poops (seems to be a popular topic of la

Daisysmom, I've been feeding Java Blue Buffalo too and he's been having soft stool for a while. Went to a vet a few weeks back and discovered he had some bacterial inbalance in his intestines, so I'm not sure if it was caused by something he ate while walking for the food itself. The soft stool/diarreah subsided when i was feeding him the vet prescribed low-fat food, but returned a few days later after i started mixing in some Blue Buffalo. Could it be due to the little anti-oxidant pellets that comes with the kibble? I'm not sure, but I'm going to try switching him to something grain-free like Nature's Variety Instinct and see where that goes. Who knows, maybe he's allergic to chicken, so I'll have to go through a period of trial and error.

In the meantime, I have been including a spoonful of pumpkin with this food and it has helped tremendously.

Does anyone know if including pumpkin for an extended period of time has any adverse effects on dogs? I know it's merely a band-aid to the underlying problem, but it seems to help with Java's gas and stomach growling so it definitely has some medicinal effects.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Runny Poops (seems to be a popular topic of la

I did some searching today and a few people have reported loose stools with Blue Buffalo but nothing horrible. Daisy doesn't seem affected otherwise. So for now I'm just going to keep with the pumpkin and see if it gets better. She was fine for a couple of weeks after the change over from Nutro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.