Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I very strictly trained Henry to heel because when I adopted him I wanted a jogging buddy. I would recommend that you do this, and only allow the pups to sniff around when you give a command. Otherwise you might be jerked all over the place. I also bike and rollerblade with Henry.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Vicki, I was really really strict about teaching the heel. It was the very first thing I taught Henry, with a the slip lead from the animal shelter (cheapo but it worked!). I bought a choke chain about a week later and now use it. I've done a lot of obedience training in the past, so I taught the heel with the leash high on the neck and gave 'pops' when he even thought about sniffing. Within a couple of days Henry was heeling perfectly, and he rarely ever needs a correction. I make him sit quietly for a few seconds when we get to grassy spots before I release him with a ok, go sniffs. For me, teaching the heel was the most important thing, because my idea of having a great dog/relationship is lots of walkies, jogs, traveling, etc. Can't really do that without proper leash training.
Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.