Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a dog on my own before, and I'm about to adopt a beagle that is approximately one year old. I typically run 3-4 miles, and was wondering if it was safe to build a beagle up to running that distance three or four times a week? I do intend to start small, at about a half mile... then every couple of weeks increase another half mile... Is that safe for a beagle? Or would it be unwise to do so with this breed of dog?

And lastly... how are Beagles typically with water? Are they known to swim, or not so much? Thanks in advance for your help in these matters...

And while I'm at it... I was told to feed the dog a half cup of dry food in the morning, and another half cup at night... Should it be safe to take her running... should I increase her portions so that she maintains a healthy weight, and if so how much?

·
Registered
890 Posts
At 1 year, their bones probably aren't mature enough for 3-4 miles yet. I would wait until they are a little older. A shorter distance would be fine. I would consult your vet first to make sure they are fit enough. There are some beagles that swim, but most would rather go to the vet that touch water. Each dog is different. How the beagle is introduced to water and swimming will make a difference. I have beagles that hate water, so I couldn't help you there.

The food depends on how good the food is and the size of the beagle. Beagles can come in lots of sizes. My two girls are short and 20 lbs, and Tucker is 17 tall and 45lbs. With higher quality foods you can feed less. Grocery store brands require more food (and more poop). Go with the best quality you can afford. If they are average size, a half cup 2x a day should be right on a high quality food. Thats what my girls get. The best bet is to read the dog food label, and shoot for the lower end of the scale to account for any treats they may get. No matter how much you feed them, a beagle will always act like they are starving. Beagles tend to be overweight because of this. My dogs usually get 2 teats a day and a skin and coat supplement in their dinner. The supplement makes their coats very soft and it helps keep down the shedding.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi and Welcome !!

Our Penny likes the occasional swim, but prefers walking in water much better. We took her for a walk this morning and she was walking very confidently in the stream looking for fish and the water was above her belly. I'd say she loved it. Penny is 9 months old.

I forgot to mention - Penny swims in our pool too, but only when it's extremely hot outside.

·
Registered
220 Posts
in my experience a healthy adult beagle is tireless. they will do your four miles and then if they get a scent will do four more.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think subject to having to be mature enough to run such a distance, there should be no problem with a beagle doing so once mature, and they are definitely bred to run long distances while hunting.

And as for the water, our four beagles are also in the would rather go to the vet than swim category, although they can swim in need be. I do think that an aversion to water is the norm rather than the exception for beagles, but I have over the years seen a number of beagles who DO like to swim, including a beagle that goes regularly to one of our local parks and is as enthusiastic about swimming in to the lake to retrieve a ball over and over again as any golden retriever or labrador I have ever seen!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had one beagle that I could never get worn down on our walks. I got an idea from a farmer once and took him out on a gravel road and let him run on a leash, with me in the pickup! After four miles, I started feeling guilty that I would hurt him, so I stopped to let him ride. He wasn't done yet and was pulling and jerking on the leash wanting to go some more! Needles to say, that night, he slept like a log.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the imput from everyone. I'm relieved on the running aspect, beacuse I've read that some beagles can be lazy and be especially prone to being overweight. But I think that probably has more to do with their handlers instead of them.

I was hoping for more encouraging comments as far as the swimming goes, because I spend a lot of time at the lake and am hoping to take her out in my kayak. But she will be on the bow and there is a slight chance she could fall off. I'm going to rig some padding on it so she won't slide around, but the occasional suprise wave could send her over board and I wouldn't want her to panic. At 20lbs I'm sure I'll pull her up over the side should she fall.

She's getting transported up here to Maine from Arkansas in a couple weeks. So I'm excited. I might end up being a beagle owner for life!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Terry, hello and welcome to you soon to be Beag owner:)

Our Charlie loves to run and has since we adopted him at 14months of age *3years old now*, however; if he catches a scent in the air he wants to go in whatever direction the scent is in, givin that, He can be stubborn to continue hehe, so we find in the middle of the road *not busy ones* the best for him.

As for water, ummmmm Yeah Right! only if he reallllly has too will he enter the darkside *water*

He loves going for boat rides:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome to BW and the joy that is beagle love!

I can't say much on the running, except to suggest speaking a vet regarding bone development vs. running distance. As to water, our Gracie LOVES to swim in the lake. Her first time in she wasn't thrilled, but we think it's because she didn't walk in on her own and the water was over her head when she was on all fours. She did however swim beautifully in order to get back to the boat (squirming out of my arms to do so)! The next time we were at a lake, she ran right in from the shoreline w/out any human coaxing...just followed another dog in. Do you know anyone else with a dog who loves the water? Maybe taking your pup there with a water-loving four legged friend to play with will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Although I wouldn't say that our four beagles LIKE swimming (in a golden retriever, lab way), they are all relatively good swimmers, especially our eldest who used to live on an island by a beach, and I certainly wouldn't be worried that they would panic or be in distress if they fell into the water when riding in a boat. It isn't as if they are afraid or unable to swim, they just prefer to get from A to B by walking rather than swimming! Our guys are always stoic when faced with the need to swim, and just get about getting it done and over with... even our newest rescue who probably hadn't seen water until we adopted him, he just automatically started dogpaddling and following our eldest to shallower water where he could walk again.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We put Roscoe in the pool with us a few times and I can't say he hated it but can't really tell if he liked it either.
He was very calm, swam very nicely, but like BookerMoose's beags, he was very stoic.

It is cute when you lift him out of the water his paws keep moving until they touch the ground!

Haven't tried swimming with the other two. Although Cole likes to run!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I just asked the "boys" Cobi and Casie and they said to tell you that water is for drinking and taking a bath if the roll in poo. Anything else is useless. As for running, they will run if there is a cat around, but other than that, it's nose to the ground and off we go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just wanted to add that our beagle loves swimming and recently its been so cold here we've had to work hard to keep her out of the water so she doesn't harm herself. We used to have problems with her off-lead so she wasn't getting enough exercise. We found a canine hydrotherapy place and she really took to that, swimming against the current in a nice warm endless pool! She took a little longer to get used to the cold lake but she will swim for a tennis ball time & time again now.

Good luck with your beagle, you're in for a challenging but very fun time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts