Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our usual walk to the dog park, I saw this car pulling in, but stopped at entrance. The driver got out, she looked very puzzled. Then she asked me Have I just lost my dog?
I said to her that I saw her car back window wide open your dog must have jumped through it, hope he/she didn't get hurt.
She drove back with her dog, said to me later that this lady caught hold of her. Maybe you should have your window just half way so she won't jump again I said.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Argh. When will people learn that it's dangerous for dogs to ride with the windows down too low without their fastened into the car in some way?

Your story reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago: I was at a gas station writing down my mileage and how much gas I'd gotten in a little notebook (I was just about to leave but not quite ready), and a lady pulled up with a little wriggly, enthusiastic, fuzzy puppy in her front seat. Her driver's side window was about halfway down. The woman went inside to buy something, and the dog started barking at me and wagging its tail like mad, trying to wriggle out. It probably took about 4 seconds to work its way free. No, stay, stay! Bad dog! I said as it wriggled and popped out of the window. There was a guy putting gas in his car nearby who witnessed the whole thing and started laughing after this exchange. It was pretty funny! The puppy came up to me right away and I put it back into the car rather easily through the window, but he popped out again. So I stood by the car, waiting for the woman to come out. She looked at me like I was a total weirdo, and I might have done the same; I told her it was dangerous to have the window down that low, as he could get out. No, he's fine, she said. No, I mean he got out twice while you were inside and I caught him for you, I replied. She seemed really ungrateful and put off that I would even mess with her dog! It was so bizarre. I just hope she rolled up the window from that time on.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I will never understand people who leave the window all the way down. A couple of years ago, I had stepped out front to get the mail so I left my front door open. I live at a 3 way stop, and this lady comes down the hill and stops, as soon as she did her Great Dane jumps out of the window (how he did it I'm not sure because of his size). He immediately ran straight into my house. She turned around real quick, but was mortified. I didn't care so much, but it was a shock!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Originally Posted By: SandyjAnd, don't get me started on people who let their dogs ride unsecured in the back of pickups!
NOTHING frustrates me more than dogs hanging out of open windows, except dogs in the back of pickups! ESPECIALLY on the freeway! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Uggh..a little bit of common sense wouldn't hurt, would it?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We find the safest way to travel with dogs, is to have them in a cage. If you buy one, make sure it has a door in two places-easier for the emergency services to get the animals out after a crash.

·
Registered
421 Posts
years ago i had a black lab named clyde. my car, at the time, was a black on black 65 ford galaxy. no a/c in that car. summertime was brutal. anyhow, i couldn't crack a window more than 1/2 because clyde would force it down and crawl through the tiniest space you can imagine, the very second he would smell a rain puddle, or a nearby river or lake. he had, at times, jumped out before i could get the car stopped. once at about 35 mph! i would usually find him close by, playing in the water, with a look of what took you so long? i'm having a blast!!! i ended up carrying a solid 16 block with a hole drilled in it on the floor of my car, to tie him down to. it was too hot to ride somewhere with all the windows rolled up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was walking Monty down one of our busier streets one day and a lady had 3 bigger dogs in the back of the truck, doing the speed limit. One of the dogs saw Monty and got so excited he jumped out of the truck bed! He did a little roll, and luckily managed to not get hit! We ran to him and stayed with him till the woman came back and went to put him back in the truck. I kindly suggested he should be on a leash, if not in the front with her!

Poor lil guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts