Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
That is a nice story. Did you read the comments following? Seems a lot of people missed the whole point that a person down on his luck still put his dog ahead of himself. Most of us do, and often joke about the amount we spend on our dog but if you had to choose between feeding your family or taking your dog in for a check up, which one would you honestly do first?
Kudo's to the kind homeless man who obviously does not look for handouts for himself but tries to make the best of his situation, it's too bad homelessness is not something that can be solved overnight.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The story is heartwarming, the comments below it are sad. Having originally been from St Louis MO it has a little more meaning for me than some I am sure, but I am also quite certain it will pull on everyone's heartstrings a little.

·
Registered
400 Posts
WOW. All I can say is that some people just don't get it. Also, some people just can't read. Most of the negative comments come from prejudice rather than analyzing the situation. No, the story is not just an attempt to tug at the heart strings by mentioning a dog. No, it's not merely trying to justify handing out funds to those in need. It's about one individual's SELFLESSNESS to ignore his own needs to care for a beagle stray that he just recently adopted. It's about the out-pour of community support for this person. He didn't ask for it. He didn't parade around town with a dog at hand asking for sympathy and support. I commend those that offered help to him and his beagle, as compassion and kindness is much needed in this day and age.

Thanks for sharing the story, Beagboy!

/soapbox

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Street people should be helped far more often. Here in Bavaria the number of homeless is growing. There are several organisations who try to help, with soup kitchens etc. I feel sorry for those forced to sleep out in this weather.

·
Registered
889 Posts
What a nice story and a nice man to boot. He puts the dog way above himself. Most people wouldn't give a monkeys.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: A doghouseStreet people should be helped far more often. Here in Bavaria the number of homeless is growing. There are several organisations who try to help, with soup kitchens etc. I feel sorry for those forced to sleep out in this weather.

maybe the situation in bavaria is different. i've never been there. in the states, and here in toronto, i can tell you that people like the one in that story are the exception rather than the rule.
i've been homeless before. i climbed out of it and kept myself out of it. i'm not as easily fooled because of it. the guy outside the grocery store who asks me for money every week. he gets annoyed when i point out that his clothes are nicer than mine, and that as a canadian he has access to far more assistance than i do, as an immigrant awaiting status. i have offered to feed him, and others like him many times. they never accept food. if your gonna drink or be a druggie, then support your own habit. i don't give out money and neither should anyone else.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
maybe the situation in bavaria is different. i've never been there. in the states, and here in toronto, i can tell you that people like the one in that story are the exception rather than the rule.
i've been homeless before. i climbed out of it and kept myself out of it. i'm not as easily fooled because of it. the guy outside the grocery store who asks me for money every week. he gets annoyed when i point out that his clothes are nicer than mine, and that as a canadian he has access to far more assistance than i do, as an immigrant awaiting status. i have offered to feed him, and others like him many times. they never accept food. if your gonna drink or be a druggie, then support your own habit. i don't give out money and neither should anyone else. [/quote]

I do something similar if i see someone i want to help i offer to buy them lunch at mcd's or whereever i'm closest to, i dont usually give out money. Whatever they can eat is wat i usually do.

I thought the guy in the story wasn't asking for handouts i think he had a serious ordeal and people want to help him, and i see nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, what a story, and yeah, a lot of the people in the comments are idiots. It's obvious that he wasn't looking for or asking for hand-outs. He was trying to take care of the dog and willing to spend his own money, nearly all that he had, to do so. He just wanted to do what was right and take care of his friend. He's obviously a much more selfless and generous person than a lot of the people in those comments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So out of all the charity directed as this guy has anyone offered him a job? After all, if the guy is responsible enough to take care of a dog while he's homeless maybe he could hold down a job too. That would do a lot more to get him off the street than blankets and such.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I am glad he is getting some help. I have had several homeless students in my class this past year. Its hard to imagine the challenges they face and I worry about them at this like this when the weather is so cold and they don't have a warm school building and free breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts