Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to ask how many of you let your dogs run free off-lead and how many of you always keep your beagles on a lead?

Beagles, I know, have a reputation for being incredibly strong-willed, and seem to believe that their way is the right way lol:) I have two beagles, Oscar who is two and a half years and Ruby who is almost fifteen months old.

Oscar was off-lead on his walks for the first twenty months of his life, till one day I simply couldn't face the agonising chase and the desperate attempts of myself and fellow (very tolerant) dog-walkers who each day used to help me coax Oscar back on lead! Enough was enough and I made the hard decision that Oscar simply couldn't be trusted to run free.

Ruby, however, although still strong-willed and typically smell focussed does run free, with mostly good results. She does have a tendency to wander at times but is by no means as sly and defiant as Oscar was off-lead.

In an attempt to ease the guilt I felt about Oscar always being on lead, I found a half-way solution of a sort! When walking on our local hills I attached a long 15metre flat training line and leave go of that. This has the affect of Oscar being free but gives me the ability to catch him easily if he becomes awkward! This way he gets a lovely long run that is less stressful for his mam!!!

I'd love to hear your comments:hi:

Jan x

·
Registered
890 Posts
My pack is always on lead. Tucker might be good, but I don't want to risk it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like the long leads, I call them lunge lines. If for no other reason, at least I have a chance of catching the line!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh it's so tricky with beagles. I think that it really depends. I have two beagles. One I trust off leash and the other I don't. Sometimes I will go to large grassy areas around my house and let them off the leash to throw a tennis ball. There is this trail near my house where I will let the one beagle off leash and keep the other on. The one off leash will walk/jog right beside us. I usually let one off the leash so that I can jog. It's impossible to jog with both of them on the leash. Good luck. Beagles are great, but they do tend to follow their noses and tune out the rest of the world. That can get them into trouble and sometimes danger.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I moved this thread from the "Posting Help" area to the Main Beagle Discussion :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
leash on
mine will pretend they are listening but its a trick. E.B. can walk behind a pine tree and never come put the other side. when you go to look he is gone. not sure how he does it but it is best to leave the leash on. find a big dog park for off leash fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I could never let Willie off-leash - our area is very wooded for not being rural, and is chock full of squirrels and rabbits, and the instant he detects one (of the dozens he encounters on our every walk), he'd be off like a rocket. Nothing else matters to him in the least when he has a scent. I know from personal experience the few times he's gotten out/loose that when he tires of chasing prey, he will come back/linger in the general area, but my main fear is him lunging out into the street in pursuit of a rabbit, because he's so single minded he'd for sure run out into traffic without even noticing. We can't even let him off-leash in our (4', chain link) fenced backyard anymore, which we did with no problems the first three months we owned him. Then, one day, a rabbit came through, and he either scaled or jumped the fence and was gone. So, no more, unless we were to get a tall privacy fence, which we have no intention of doing (don't like the look). We do take him to the dog park on occasion where he can run freely, because the fence is higher, there, rabbits steer clear, and there are enough other distractions with other dogs to keep his interest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's actually quite reassuring to hear that other beagle owners feel less inclined to let their dogs off lead - makes me feel less of a failure lol. Here in England there are lots of parks where dogs are allowed off lead, also areas like our local national trust hills, which are within the city boundaries. Other dog owners(of other breeds I might add) all love to offer their advice as to how to train your dog on recall - BUT THEY DON'T HAVE BEAGLES!!!

I think I will just have to live with the fact that Oscar can't be trusted to consistently come back when called whereas Ruby can - I think I will always feel a little guilty that he can't enjoy the feeling of running free but at least now and again he can do it on the training line - which is indeed like a lunge line x

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know how Colby would be off lead and I don't want to know. I would never be able to sleep at night if he got away and I couldn't find him. My Pit Pull though is great off leash. But he thinks it is his job to protect me so he doesn't almost ever get more than 6 feet away from me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I started walking Murphy off-leash last spring. We walk in a very rural area on gravel roads, and vehicles are very few and far between.

We did a lot of obedience training and, when walking off lead he stays mostly next to my right foot. On occasion he'll catch a scent and trot over to the side of the road, but a sharp word from me brings him right back.

Because of the weather I'm not yet able to start working with Mandy off leash, but the goal is to get both of them to walk next to me off leash. I think she'll do well because when on-leash she sticks close to Murphy.

If there are vehicles or people around they don't go off leash. On the gravel I usually have a couple minutes warning if a vehicle is coming.

Both Murphy and Mandy have been trained on the radio fence around our property. I have no fears about putting them out with their collars on and not paying much attention to them. They stay away from the edge of the property (where the wire runs), and even when a passing rabbit or dog comes on the property they don't try to follow it off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Molly is our first beagle and in the beginning we read all the advice saying that a beagle can never run free, we were too scared to let her loose anywhere until our trainer said that he knew of plenty beagles that walked off leash and that it would be a pity not too give it a try.
We started off letting her run small distances between us and as it got better she began to walk along side us for longer periods.
In the meantime I now cut her loose as soon as we get within the boundaries of our local woods/nature reserve, she mostly stays close by but will always take off if she sees other dogs or deer. Once she has satisfied her curiousity she will always come back within a few minutes, I just continue walking and she picks up my trail again.
There are thousands of rabbits but since she killed one (at 5 months!) she just cant be bothered with them, sometimes just to humour me she will give a bit of a half hearted chase :hyper:

I know it's not possible for everyone to trust their dog and there is no way that I would do it near any roads but it just puts a big old smile on my face when I see Moll put up her head to check where I am and then come pounding down the path with her ears flapping and legs pumping!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Murphy (great name! sounds really good. Ruby does not walk by my side when she is off lead but darts here and there sniffing and generally enjoying herself. She always comes back when I call, not always as quickly as I would like but she does come back!
I know three other beagles, all act as Ruby does, but all have had their times of not obeying because their noses are following some scent or other. Beagle owners tend to be the dog owner that ALWAYS has a pocketful of treats, just in case!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Murphy (great name! sounds really good. Ruby does not walk by my side when she is off lead but darts here and there sniffing and generally enjoying herself. She always comes back when I call, not always as quickly as I would like but she does come back!
I know three other beagles, all act as Ruby does, but all have had their times of not obeying because their noses are following some scent or other. Beagle owners tend to be the dog owner that ALWAYS has a pocketful of treats, just in case!!!
We took both Murphy and Mandy to beginning and intermediate training at PetSmart. I think it made a huge difference, not only did they learn a lot but I learned a lot too. I'm not sure that Murphy would be responsible enough to walk off leash if we had not done the training.

When we first started walking rather than remove the leash I just dropped it and allowed it to drag behind him. There were a couple times I had to quickly stomp on it, but he soon understood that darting away wouldn't be tolerated. I feel comfortable completely removing it now.

Last fall when we'd walk early in the morning (5:30 or so) we'd often see deer in the road or out in the fields. Murphy would come to a stop and we'd stand there and watch them-he was very interested but never made a move to chase them.

Of course, after this thread I realize how much I miss summer and our walks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definately gotta keep both beagles on their leash except for when we go to the dog park. We have a VERY large dog park here and sometimes(okay almost everytime) husband and I have a hard time getting their attention when it's time to leave. Once Bob picks up a scent on the ground a bomb could go off and it still wouldn't get his attention. I agree non-beagle owners just don't understand, they may have very big ears but doesn't mean they'll hear you call for them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Starla is always on a lead...no exceptions. When she was smaller, we had just bought her a new collar (because the one she had as a baby was too small), and we didn't have it tight enough because she wriggled out of it. She took off like a dart and ran around the the corner and down the alley. We were so upset and terrified we were not going to find her. We separated our search and when we came back to the house, there she was, sitting in our front yard, looking at us like, "Where have YOU guys been?"

There have been another couple of times that she has squeaked out the front door when someone is leaving. She never runs that far and she always comes back, but she wanders far enough to make us nervous, so life outside without a leash--with the exception of fenced-in back yards-- is a serious no-no.

·
Registered
220 Posts
we used to camp in the ocala national forest and being far from any roads we allowed the dogs to run free. frequently they would be gone all night but we could here them baying and tracking something way off in the distance all night long. they would come back the following day (occasionally two days later) exhausted and happy. i felt they were getting to behave like beagles and never thought twice about it. then came the day they found the rattlesnake nest. according to the vet beagles dislike and will attack rattlesnakes. bailey was bitten six times on the face and died the next day. michelle was bitten once on the base of the tail and had to be put down two weeks later when her skin literally began to die and slough off. almost twenty years later and i still tear up thinking about it. I miss them like it was yesterday.:cry: needless to say if E.B. and C.B. are off leash in an unfenced area for just a moment i get panicky.
give your dogs some extra love today for my bailey and michelle, R.I.P.

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL We never let our beagles off-lead, but I know there are a few people on the forum that have been successful in their training. When we go to a park or open area that isn't fenced, we just use a long lead and let them poke around that way. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
we used to camp in the ocala national forest and being far from any roads we allowed the dogs to run free. frequently they would be gone all night but we could here them baying and tracking something way off in the distance all night long. they would come back the following day (occasionally two days later) exhausted and happy. i felt they were getting to behave like beagles and never thought twice about it. then came the day they found the rattlesnake nest. according to the vet beagles dislike and will attack rattlesnakes. bailey was bitten six times on the face and died the next day. michelle was bitten once on the base of the tail and had to be put down two weeks later when her skin literally began to die and slough off. almost twenty years later and i still tear up thinking about it. I miss them like it was yesterday.:cry: needless to say if E.B. and C.B. are off leash in an unfenced area for just a moment i get panicky.
give your dogs some extra love today for my bailey and michelle, R.I.P.
What a sad thing to have happened. I am so sorry.
Our guys are never off leash unless its a fenced in area (i.e. dog park, yard). I would love for them to be able to run free but if anything were to happen to them as a result, I would feel terrible. Beagles are hunters/trackers and that is what they are going to, no two ways around it.

It is nice to hear that some are able to successfully do this though!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts