Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning at about 11:00 ... I drove to meet the Northern California Beagle Rescue foster parent who has been caring for Ruby. And now, eight and a half hours later, Ruby is here ... sleeping soundly in her new doggie bed ... snuggled-up right next to Eddie (my other beagle) and Pink Pig (a 3' tall stuffed toy).

As is Eddie, Ruby is ten years old. She is not quite as peppy ... is a bit less lean ... but with a little exercise and a good diet ... who knows. She certainly is a pro in the affection department ... and she is so mild-mannered and gentle. And she's already playing well with Eddie! Why, she's a much a "lady" as Eddie is a "gentleman."

Ruby is from the home of an older person who died. Unfortunately, none of the relatives were willing or able to take her ... but they were caring enough to take her to Northern California Beagle Rescue.

Our first hour together in the car today was heart-wrenching. She panted, shook violently and was very visibly insecure. While that is somewhat to be expected with an adoption -- after all, she lost one home due to a death ... and here she was again ... on the move ... future uncertain ... and after being in a comfortable and loving foster home -- it didn't make it any easier. But I just kept thinking about our future together ... put soothing music on the stereo ... talked quietly to her ... and gently rubbed behind her ears.

Several times on the hundred mile drive home we stopped for walks ... and that seemed to help. I might add the several dog treats were quite helpful too.

Sometime in the near future I'm going to write a piece about how wonderfully rewarding it is to adopt an older beagle. It's almost as if they are grateful ... somehow knowing that their life has been made better. Sadly, the older ones are the most difficult to place ... and yet, carefully chosen they can be the near ideal pet ... especially for those of us who are middle-aged or older. After all, they are more our speed. Sure they still get excited and antsy at the first hint of an upcoming walk. But when we're sitting on the sofa, quietly reading a book ... they're snuggled up right next to us ... sound asleep ... NOT prancing across the back of the sofa looking for mischief.

Now don't get me wrong ... I love puppies ... especially other people's puppies ... but an older dog allows one to avoid the many difficulties of the puppy years ... which more often than not includes a heckova lot of energy ... certainly more than I ever remember having ... and I'm in pretty good shape.

Scott and Cody

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The pics are of Ruby ... the Scott & Cody signature at the bottom was for a pic of Cody (from whom I get my member name) and me that I was going to post here. However, I posted it in Cody's Rainbow Bridge memorial.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Ruby is so sweet.... congratulations... I'm sure she is grateful and happy to be with you and Eddie.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hprray for Ruby -I know Ruby's former owner is as greatful as Ruby will be. You've done a good thing but I'm sure you and Eddy know that.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
aaawwwww Ruby is precious !!! Bless you for sharing your life and home with her !!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
What a wonderful story - I'm so happy that Ruby has found happiness with you and Eddie for her later years. You are also a wonderful person for helping senior dogs. Although we have three rescues the oldest one when we rescued her was 3 1/2. My heart goes out to the seniors but I'm too scared to adopt one right now... our time with our beagles is already too short and I'm afraid of confronting the end sooner than I think I can deal with it, even though I so would like to help them and agree that older adult beagles are delightful. But your post has got me thinking - thanks for that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I have to amend Ruby's story. It turns out that the older person who was Ruby's original "mom" is still alive.

Ruby's former mom has a very uncommon last name ... and recently a member of our family came across an obituary of a woman having the same maiden name ... albeit different married and first names. However, as the obituary mentioned beagles ... I was fairly sure I had the right family.

Well, we did a bit of sleuthing ... and discovered that Ruby's first "mom" had lived with her daughter ... and it was this daughter who had died. Afterward Ruby's former mom went to live with her son in a nearby state ... but Ruby wasn't allowed to go.

Something in my feelings told that Ruby's former mom was very concerned about the uncertainty surrounding what might have happened to Ruby.

With a bit more sleuthing, I found a number for the son ... and after careful thought gave him (actually talked to his wife) a call to ask if Ruby's former mom would like to know Ruby is okay and has a home.

The next thing I heard was an excited "Are you kidding ... of course, she would! She talks about that dog all the time."

Well, we had a good long talk. And, I'm glad I called ... as prior to that call, Ruby's "grandma" (no "former mom" talk anymore) had cried herself to sleep every night ... worried about Ruby.

One day soon ... Ruby and I are going to take a drive to that nearby state ... for a visit with grandma!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. What a happy/sad story and I can imagine Rubys grandmom being so pleased to hear she is safe. How kind of you to adopt Ruby and now you are going to make her former mom very happy.
Let Ruby settle in with you first or she might get confused at being reunited with her former family.
Our last beagle, Spotty, came from a family who adored her but couldnt keep her. We agreed to keep in contact and they visited us for 13 years until Spotty died. At first Spotty would cry when they left but after a couple of visits Spotty made it clear that she was at home with us- would greet the family but then run off to our lounge and the couch.
Ruby looks a beautiful beagle, thank you again for rescuing her. We agree older beagles have a lot of things going for them. Our two were 6 years old when we rescued them (we thought they were only 5 until recently) so these will most likely be our last dogs as we are in our 60's.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition. I know what you mean about older beagles. Mine is now 8 and she is a totally different dog than when she was a pup.

How wonderful of you to do all that work to find her first owner. I hope if something happens to my family my dogs would be adopted by someone as caring as you.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Scott,

It takes a very special person to adopt a senior dog then drive 100 miles to get her then call to reassure her former owner that she is OK.

Ruby's face is beautiful...you and her and Eddie will make a wonderful family.

On behalf of Ruby...Thank You!

~Denise

1 - 19 of 19 Posts