Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here feed their dogs on Royal Canin?

Rosa is a bit overweight and seems to be getting worse not better. She is already on a low calorie food (James Wellbeloved Light) and gets hardly any treats.

When I mentioned it to my vet they of course suggested that I should switch her food to the one that they sell. It's Royal Canin Veterinary Care for obesity control.

It's probably far more expensive no doubt and why should it be any better than the one I already give her which is supossed to be one of the best in the UK.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I took her to the the vets. She weighs around 33 pounds (15kg). She's not obese and can't have the obesity control food because it's not suitable for dogs unless they are seriously overweight. She needs to lose about 3 pounds which doesn't sound much but is quite a bit for a dog.

They persuaded me to buy the food they sell, Royal Canin Medium Mature. As it's for mature dogs (dogs over 7 years) it is lower in calories so she should lose some weight but it doesn't skimp on protein as do most reduced calorie dog foods. The normal food I buy has 18% protein but this stuff has 25%. It is also lower in fibre (2.5% as oppossed to 4%) as too much fibre produces too much poop, so they said. Rosa sometimes poops up to 5 times a day so if this reduces that I'll be pleased.

It's a lot more expensive than the normal stuff I get plus it's only avaiable at the vets. When I asked why it's almost double the price they said it's a premium grade veterinarian food that's sold exclusively through vets so it must be good /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/angel.gif

I'm really clueless about dog food even though I've studied it quite a bit but it all gets so confusing. Does what they are saying sound right?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've heard mixed opinions about RC. Some places consider it a very good food and some - average to good.

Maybe a little extra excercise and reducing the amoung of food she eats will help with her diet...

·
Registered
837 Posts
How much are you feeding her?

Daisy got a bit chubby so I am feeding her 1/2 a cup of dried food (we feed RC and love it) in the morning and nothing for the rest of the day... including treats! It is working well so far. By feeding food in the morning and at no other time you are allowing the dog all day to work off the calories. It is a very effective way to get their weight under control /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
134 Posts
Our Japanese vet here in Okinawa, who I trust implicitly...I don't believe he's selling for profit because his clinic is run off of donations from a church and because he's a GOOD man who loves dogs like crazy...recommends the Royal Canin. He wanted me to put Kioko on the continuing growth formula.

Even in Japan, they really like that line of food.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm feeding her 180 grams a day which is what it says on the packet for her size and activity level and what the vet advised. I don't know what a "cup" means.

I'm splitting it in two feeds with the largest meal in the mornings which is also what the vet advised.

I must admit it smells delicious compared to the previous food which smelt of nothing much really. She's wolfing it down like a vacuum cleaner but then she is a Beagle and will eat anything.

I'll keep you informed of her progress.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jennifer, a cup equals 8 ounces. I'm not sure how much that translates to in grams. It equates to about the same volume as an adult fist.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8 ounces is 226 grams so i guess 180 grams sounds about right to reduce weight if the norm is to feed a cup a day.

thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm not sure about grams since I feed " 1 cup", too! However, when my dogs get a little "chubby", I just cut back a BIT on their regular food - from 1/2 CUP twice a day to about 1/3 cup twice a day - It doesn't starve them, and it's a lot easier than dealing with multiple foods for ten dogs! Just a little change, but it does help. Since I have ten dogs, it's a real pain to feed different foods unless it's absolutely necessary for their health. Of course, being beagles they always think they're starving!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't like to feed different foods for different dogs unless absolutely necessary either so I'm feeding Sherry the same food just more of it. It's for senior dogs and as Sherry is nearly 10 it's just as suitable for her as it is for Rosa.

The only thing I've noticed so far is their poop is a different colour hahaha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts