Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can we do to make her day to day life happier?

Currently her routine goes something like this:

0630 Dad gets up and goes to work

0730 Dad comes home and lets Rose out of the kennel and feeds her. Then lets her out in the yard.

0830 Mom wakes up, Dad goes back to work.

0830 - 1130 Rose plays outisde/inside whichever she feels like. She plays with the neighbors dogs a lot, none of us have fences and we live in a culdesac, the other dogs are allowed to wander. Rose has an underground fence.

1130-1300 Rose plays with dad while hes home for lunch.

1300-1700 Rose plays outside for a couple hours and then takes a nap or plays with her 3 pet cats inside the house.

1700-2300 Rose does whatever she wants, inside, outside, sleeps on the couch, gets fed around 1900 (1/2 size portion compared to the morning) play with dad, play fetch, chase the cats etc.

2300 She passes out, either in her dog bed, kennel, or couch, wherever she drops herself.

Once a week or so we take her to a local lake and walk around with her on and off the leash depending on how many other people are around. Shes really good off the leash when theres not other people. She gets a very large amount of exercise in the yard, its 1/3 acre and she has the run of the whole thing, plus it buts up against a forest, so theres all kinds of rabbit, deer, armadillo, rat, etc smells for her to sample.

Aside from walking her what can we do to keep her entertained and happy. She knows, come, sit, stay, lay, bed, couch, outside, down, no, cage, food, dinner, breakfast and get em as commands. her favorite toys include 2 toy rabbits, a Kong, some squeeky balls, the cats, and her tail.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It sounds like Rose has a pretty good life there! I'm not sure how much more she could ask for. She's getting plenty of attention and exercise, has toys and friends to play with and what sounds like a very loving family. From what you wrote Rose sounds like a very lucky girl. I would just be careful with a Beagle off leash, unless she has impecible recall. They like to follow their noses and sometimes go deaf while on a scent. If you're looking for something fun to do with her maybe you could work on agility training. If I had the time (and a closer training facility!) that is something I would do with Jersey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
off leash is out of the question if dads not around i think. She tends to ignore mom. i dont let her offleash in the city anymore, last time i got to chase her for a block to get her back. What I found works for offleash training better than anything else was the underground fence. Training her where the safe area was, taught her that being near dad means shes safe, and to this day when she gets shocked she generally runs back to the house to be safe near dad and mom.

Agility training... gona have to look into that.

i forgot to mention...

We have garfield and oddie syndrom... one of my cats drops food out of the cat food bowl onto the floor to a waiting beagle :p Its their favorite sport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts