Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyones Beagle roll in the grass on hot days when they go for a walk?

The last couple of days it's been really hot here in NY. When i take buddy out for his walk he will be walking fine and then all of a sudden run to the grass roll around alittle and then continue walking.

This only started the last couple of days since it's been hot out. Is he trying to cool off? I dont know any other reason because he never did this before and doesnt do it on cooler days.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same- Totti rolls all around in the grass and then gives a big huh? expression when you ask him if he was biting it (the grass just hangs out of his mouth, so cute!)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There's an office space near our house that has really lush St. Augustine grass in the manicured landscaping around it, and every time we pass by there on our walks, Spock splays out in it and just sits in it for a minute chilling out. He loves it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker LOVES to roll in the grass. When she used to wear a harness I would pull her along on her back - and she clearly loved it... sometimes now she stops rolling and looks at me like she wants a pull, but I don't want to risk it without a harness!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours love rolling in the grass as well, but we have to make sure there is nothing nasty on the spot as rolling is the way they stock up on 'perfume'!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep. He sure does. Yesterday was brutally hot for April (30C).

I walked Ben through the school yard near our house yesterday. First he waded through a gigantic puddle, cooling his feet and drinking the puddle water. Then he proceeded to find a nice patch of grass to roll around in. He gets really wiggly and barks. After he is done rolling he gets the zoomies (like a second wind) and starts darting around, barking and biting at the leash.

He also really like freshly laid sod to roll around in.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Usually its not the grass they are rolling in, but something in the grass. Summer like rolling in worms. It is a very pungent smell that she likes to wear. Kinda like perfume... Ode de la PEW!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And i notticed today on our walk he only likes the grass that is longer and more lush. One house had their grass really short and he didnt like that. Then another had a full lush lawn and he went crazy in it. I took a look where he was rolling and there was nothing there so i dont know what he was rolling in.

He will also get the zoomies for like a minute afterwards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was told they are trying to mask the smell (worms) with their own scent.

Josie and Charlie both do it all the time. When I walk them in the huge field after the lawn was cut, they like to eat the grass clippings as they run

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Coco does the same when I walk him and it's always in the same spot, my neighbor's yard

Must because it already has his scent and he is just reclaiming it

·
Registered
326 Posts
Try having a Green Beagle:)

Charlie tends to love rolling in freshly cut grass, when going on walks ppl mowing the lawns or just finished and he plops himself down and starts rolling in it, goodness the last time took awhile to get the green off, had to run it's course. Yeh I always explain myself to the owners of the houses, Ohhh your in trouble now he love cuts grass, they just chuckle, what else are they gonna say? 1 dude had to stop mowing cause charlie went plunk. I know I have controll of leash but not when he's going nutsooo to get on that grass I just let him!

as for grass that is nor freshly cut, yeh he only does that if the armoma of a worm is around rolling on grass for worm purposes:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy loves to roll in the grass too...what looks like innocent fun usually turns out to be worms, bird poop, dead bird remains...need I go on? I never assume any more that her rolling is just enjoying the grass! By the way...worms are her favorite.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.