Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... So Wednesday Rocky started having diarrhea with a little blood in it. Of course I called the vet immediately. Rocky was still drinking, had an appetite, and was acting normal. The vets office said that it isn't uncommon to see a little blood if he's had diarrhea. They said it could be his intestines are irritated. They told me to go ahead and start giving him rice and chicken and watch him. I kept an eye on him and he continued having small amounts of diarrhea with a little blood. It continued throughout yesterday but he didn't have it nearly as often. I decided to wait and continue with the ck/rice diet and watch him. He was fine all last night and had just a little bit of mushy stool this morning. He was fine all day long today (Jason was home with him). Tonight I let him out and he again had a little bit of mushy stool.

I guess I just don't know what to do? The vets office is now closed so I don't know if I should continue to wait or what. He's definitely not having the diarrhea as often, but I'm starting to get a little worried that it's not completely gone.

Any advice?

PS
I also added a little pumpkin to his diet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
At this point I think I'd take a wait and see approach. If it suddenly gets worse or Rocky is is obvious discomfort then take some action. But if the stools are a little mushy I suspect he's still getting over it.

Best wishes for him and you!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think if his behavior is normal and he is eating you could wait a day or two. We just went through the upset tummy thing with Maggie and I was worried because she was refusing food. If Rocky is eating and active he is probably recovering. I would call the vet on Monday if he doesn't seem better.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If he is eating and drinking o.k. then I would not worry to much. Sometimes their mushy stools just take a little while to get back to normal, he may just have a stomach bug. Obviously if he gets worse then take him in but for now I would not stress. I hope he feels better soon

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hopefully, Rocky's poops have firmed up. If not, I would suggest you continue the chicken (make sure it is plain,poached unseasoned) and plain white rice. I actually would hold off on the pumpkin. It is best to keep things really bland until all is back to normal. Let us know how Rocky is doing today.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! He seems to be doing better. He's not going NEARLY as much and isn't waking us up at night like he did before. It's funny because my hubby went to watch him the other day and said after we started giving him the pumpkin his poos turned orange. LOL

Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely call the vet Monday if he isn't better, but I think he's on the mend!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

I THOUGHT Rocky was getting better. Yesterday his poo was mostly formed. We started him back on his regular food and he ended up waking me up around 3:30am this morning. His poo was once again mostly formed so I didn't think much about it. But then he went out again two more times and it's only 8:45am. The last two times it was obvious it was diarrhea, although there wasn't much there. I didn't see any blood fortunately, but now I don't know if I should again take him off his food or go ahead and take him to the vet tomorrow. This has been going on since last Wednesday.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Erin, If it were me I would probably put him back on chicken/rice diet and call the vet in the morning. Maybe he has a parasite and just needs some simple meds. I hope he gets better soon. Have you been anywhere that he could have picked something up?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I would definitely call the vet in the morning. If he was doing better on chicken and rice, maybe you should go back to that for today.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree with Jennifer and Connie -- either take him off all food until you talk with the vet tomorrow or give him a little bit of chicken and rice.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Thanks all for checking in! Rocky is FINALLY better!
I was going to call the vet this morning, but he had no more problems yesterday or when we let him out first thing. I decided to see how he was at lunch time and then decide on the vet call. When I came home from work at lunch all was well. No accidents and he had a normal poo while I was there (outside thank heavens)
And then when I came home tonight we went for our job and he again had a normal poo. It's pretty typical of him to go twice so I think it's finally passed.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Glad he is feeling better!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Awwww....but I'm glad he's better.

We have these types of bouts of runny/bloody poo with JoJo.
She was actaully just diagnosed with stress colitis, but put on a course of meds to help her get better, with a chicken/rice diet.
She's back to normal and eating her regular food again.

Sometimes they just get runny poo. Our vet it's pretty common - just as it is for us. And that we should watch for those other symptoms (lethargy, vomitting, etc) to see when it's really bad enough to bring her in. (our vet bills have been CRAZY high the last few months between her and the cat).

Sorry I rambled....
But I'm glad Rocky is better!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts