Our Beagle World Forums banner

rock salt

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cheezyridr 
#1 ·
we had a little snow the other night, and the building manager put down alot of salt on the walkway and the steps. it seems that it gets caught in sophies feet and she limps untill i rub her feet and it falls out. it has gotten to the point where she waits for me and lets me do it without horsing around. for her, that in itself is unusual. do i need to buy her little boots? i have always thought that doggie clothes were the reasons they bite people. do any of you have this problem with the salt? solutions? anyone?

#2 ·
You could always buy some infant socks and try them or pay for the actual dog booties. My dogs are okay with it but I always wipe their feet off good before bringing them in when they have walked in salt. If a piece gets in their pads they bite it out without asking me for help...most of the time.

#3 ·
I tried cheap booties on Lucy and Flora for a couple years, but have given it up. They didn't like them, and they kept getting lost in deep snow.
Now, I just make sure that they walk through a bunch of clean snow to take off any salt they may have picked up. I also avoid sidewalks where a lot of rock salt (or other ice melting chemicals) are put down. Try some socks or cheap booties, since the salt is bothering Sophie. She'll let you know what she thinks.

#4 ·
well, avoiding the salt is impossible, i live in an apt bldg, and they salt heavily because they are afraid of getting sued.
i will try some booties and see how that goes. considering i still have to tell her not to chew the leash/harness, (at least she obeys) i doubt she will allow the booties

#5 ·
We have avoided putting salt down, much to my fear of falling myself, for this very reason. Baby socks would be great, even if you took them off when you passed the salt areas. Booties are cute and they'd probably stay on better and protect their feet better. Yet, for me, getting the sweater/coats on is hard enough, and not putting the salt down would be okay, if I walk in the snow and don't fall.

#6 ·
Originally Posted By: cobismomWe have avoided putting salt down, much to my fear of falling myself, for this very reason. Baby socks would be great, even if you took them off when you passed the salt areas. Booties are cute and they'd probably stay on better and protect their feet better. Yet, for me, getting the sweater/coats on is hard enough, and not putting the salt down would be okay, if I walk in the snow and don't fall.
we live in an apt, so i have no say about the salt. however, she seems to have either gotten used to it or learned to avoid it. no problems the last couple of days.

i totally understand about your fear of falling from ice and snow. i spent last winter in a cast, and i have 10 screws and a stainless steel plate in my ankle. (i crashed my bike) i'm still not too good on my feet, and when sophie tries to pull it can be scary. if i break it again, it's over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.