Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 4 weeks since I lost my best friend Jersey. She was only 2 years old. She was the happiest beagle and had so much energy. I took her everywhere with me and she kept me company and made me feel safe as my husband works away 5 nights a week.

So I arrived home from work at approx. 7.30pm on Wednesday, 16th January and within 5 minutes I realised Jersey was not herself. I called the vet that was on call and told her there was something wrong with my dog. I asked the vet to meet me at the clinic as I was very worried. Jersey was lethargic, had a loss of appetite (this was the first time she had every turned down food, so I knew there was something wrong) and breathing heavy. The vet checked Jersey over and (mentioned her gums were light pink) and said she didn’t know what was wrong, she thought Jersey seemed fine and so she couldn’t help me. I asked if she’s sure she doesn’t think Jersey is breathing abnormally and she said it seemed fairly normal. The vet asked me if there was a possibility Jersey had eaten rat bait and I said yes. I told her we stayed at my in-laws 3 days prior and although no one witnessed it there was definitely a possibility she had eaten it. I left the vet with no answers.

Around half an hour after leaving the clinic I received a call from the vet and said if she’s still breathing funny to bring her back to the clinic in the morning. I had no idea of the effects of rat bait poisoning and asked the vet if it in fact it was rat poisoning is it fast acting and is she likely to make it until the morning. The vet still couldn’t give me any answers.

I monitored Jersey for most of the night and found she was acting extremely out of the ordinary. At 5am the following morning I woke up and found Jersey laying on the floor just staring in to space. Her gums had turned white, she was breathing heavier and she fell straight over when trying to walk. I immediately called the vet and rushed her straight in to the clinic.
The vet gave injected her with vitamin k and said she needed a blood transfusion because she must have rat bait poisoning. They don’t keep blood on hand so they had to call one of their vets who lived 45 minutes away to bring her dog in to get blood from. Well within that 45 minutes Jersey had died. I went outside the clinic to get some fresh air because I was so worried. I really thought she was at the vet in the best hands. I walked back into the clinic and the vet was pumping her stomach, I couldn’t handle it I ran straight back outside. Lucky my mum was with me, I had called her when I was on my way to the vets, I’m not very good at handling things like this on my own. Well the vet came outside and told me Jersey was gone.

It was such a traumatic experience, I was on the phone to my husband telling him I didn’t know if Jersey was going to make it, when the vet came out and gave me the news. I immediately screamed and was crying hysterically. My poor husband was 1000km away and it broke his heart that he couldn’t be there for me.

He had already been up for 24 hours because of his job and he wasn't supposed to come home until the following day but he was so upset he started driving home right away (11 hours away). He hadn't had any sleep and he cried the whole way home. Every time i spoke to him on the phone he was crying because all he kept hearing was my screams. It made me cry even more hearing him cry and it just made him cry even more. It was devastating and heart breaking.

When he eventually got home he went to the vets to pick up Jersey so we could take her home and bury her. I couldn't go with him I just couldn't bear to see her wrapped up in a plastic bag and frozen. It's still so hard to talk about. I waited at home for my husband and he was a mess. He said that he couldn't even say her name when he went to the vets because he was so upset. He put her on the seat next to him as he drove home with her he ripped the bag open so he could see her and say goodbye. He patted her and spoke to her the whole way home and told her how much we loved and missed her. We then said our final goodbye together and we're going to plant a tree for her so we can visit her.

I understand that the vet could not have prevented Jersey from eating the rat bait but I feel that the she could have done more to save her and I believe as a professional she should have recognised the symptoms. Jersey wasn’t even given a blood test. I feel that the vet should not have taken the risk when I told her it was a definite possibility that Jersey had eaten the poison.

We can’t change what’s happened but I am so thankful that I had such a wonderful 2 years with my gorgeous beagle; I feel so lost without her and every day i think about her and wish she was still here. I will never ever forget her she was one of a kind and had such a beautiful personality. She touched so many people in her two short years; she will be missed by so many.

I emailed Jersey’s breeder and told her the sad news and she called me straight away to give her condolences. I asked if she had any puppies or litters on the way but because they do a lot of showing they weren’t going to have a little for another 6 months. Well half an hour after I got off the phone to her I received an email from her. She said she had told her husband what happened to Jersey and he immediately went outside and put their boy and girl together. A few days later they done the deed and it’s now been 4 weeks and I’m eagerly waiting to hear if she’s pregnant!

The litter will have Jersey’s bloodline so I’m really hoping she’s pregnant. Jersey was our first beagle, I did a lot of research on finding a good breeder and we had her fly 3 flights over 800km to get to us. We were hoping to have a litter and keep a puppy but unfortunately that didn’t happen. We can’t see a future without a beagle in our lives now and every day is a day closer to getting another baby girl back in our arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sad story. I am presuming you do not live in the U.S. as you stated the air flight in km's. If that is the case you may look into your country's or local animal organization for information on Poison Control for help.

In the U.S., one can contact the ASPCA.org for help or call 888-426-4435 24 hours a day.
This is a good example for all of us to be prepared.

I hope you find happiness in your next baby Beag.
Sending you Hugs

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It was such a traumatic experience, I never thought I could lose my little girl. I grew up with never losing an animal to a sickness or injury, we have only ever put our animals down from old age like severe arthritis and things like that so this was a real shock for me. Jersey got in to the rat bait poison at my in-laws place. We didn't even know she had eaten it. I have never dealt with rat bait poison before and therefore didn't know anything about it. I definitely didn't know it was fatal and since Jersey's death i have researched a lot about it and have made awareness to all my friends, family and colleagues as I'd hate someone else to go through it.

You are correct I live in Australia, I came across this page and wanted to share my story. There aren't many beagles where I live so I don't often get to talk to people who share my love for them.

I'm hoping any day now the breeder notifies me that their girl is pregnant, it's been four weeks do you think she would have a belly on her by now?

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Love your beautiful wedding pictures. I don't know about your dog pregnancy question. I hope you continue to read the posts while you wait for your puppy-keep us posted about your new pup.

Before we got our dog we had periodic extermination for ants, spiders, and other buggies in our yard. We stopped having the spraying and I noticed quite a difference in the population. Your situation makes it clear why not to do it.

When Cassie was about 5 months she ate a bee and went into shock and we raced to the vet-that has been one of our biggest issues. In fact today, I saw her staring at one on our patio but she didn't touch it as if she knew what happened before. I ran outside and mashed it with my shoe!

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss and for the anguish you had to go through. It is odd that the vet didn't recognize the signs unless all the typical signs were not there.

Jersey was a very pretty girl.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful and sweet Jersey. You may want to contact the office manager/owner at that practice, or your local vet association and tell them your story.

If the breeders dog is not pregnant, you might want to contact one of the beagle rescues in Australia:

Beagle Rescue, NSW - Home Page

beaglerescue.com.au

You may save a life - and it would be a loving tribute to your Jersey.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Oh my goodness,that's so sad. It brings me to tears to think about the day my beagle will not be with us (he is only 9mths old!) I can't imagine what you are going through. I hope you get some good news about the puppy. Keep us posted. Sending hugs xx

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, she was for sure a beautiful girl, and I can feel how hurt you are. (sitting here crying while reading)
Hope a puppy girl will be joining your family soon, and give you something to smile about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.
and on other hands, I agree there were so much more could be done for your Jersey. Jersey could have been seen a different vet if the first was not willing to check her throughly.
I always have 3 different vet numbers, the best one, the good one and the willing to do everything one for my dog. I'm very generous when it comes to my dog and vet, I would pay what they charge me, buying product from them to make them happy while still ordering other stuffs from online, but I always make it clear to them my dogs are my precious and better be their best in treatment.
And yes, rat bait is lethal. Why do you think they die after eating? I throw away last pieace of it out of my house years ago and change to use glue trap since I took my puppy home.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

It’s been 5 months and I still think about her every day. I could never replace Jersey she had such an amazing soul and she was my best friend. But it’s been a lonely 5 months without her, especially since my husband works away. I am 2 weeks away from getting my new beagle puppy which is from the same line as Jersey, so I can’t wait to have a part of her again. I could never replace her but I can keep her spirit alive, all my memories and photos are mine to keep forever and I’ll never forget about her. Hubby and I constantly reminisce about the funny things she used to do and how much we loved her, and always will. They touch your heart in such an amazing way.

Mocha, I read up a lot about rat bait poisoning after Jersey’s passing and apparently the poison rids their body of vitamin k which they need for healthy blood clotting. So without that vitamin k they die from internal bleeding. The morning that I rushed Jersey back to the vets they gave her a shot of vitamin k, but it was too late. She needed a blood transfusion, but it was too late.

It was such a traumatic experience for me; I don’t deal with this sort of thing well especially on my own, as my husband was 1000km away at work. I won’t ever be taking chances again and if I know there is something wrong with my baby I won’t be made to feel like a paranoid owner ever again. I will demand answers and I won’t stop until I get them. Unfortunately, the night I took Jersey to the vet it was after hours and I could only deal with the particular vet that was on call. She was unsympathetic and did not take my concerns seriously.

At the time, I didn’t know a thing about rat bait poison. But I took Jersey into the vet with symptoms such as LOSS OF APPETITE (I mean come on, where are the alarm bells, this is a beagle we’re talking about!!!), heavy breathing, lethargy and she looked depressed. These are photos of her when I brought her home from the vet. She jumped up on our spare bed and did not want to move. She looked so depressed.

Straight after Jersey had passed I wanted answers, so I researched rat bait poisoning. What are the first 4 symptoms listed??
Loss of appetite
Heavy Breathing
Lethargic
Depressed
-Can take 3 or more days after ingesting for symptoms to start showing

How can a trained professional not pick up on those 4 symptoms and not suspect rat bait poisoning? Especially when she asked me if Jersey had eaten any and I told her that I hadn’t seen her eat any but we were at my in-laws only 3 days before and there was definitely a possibility she had eaten it. She had told me that she had dealt with rat bait poison many times before. I’m not a genius but I believe that I’ve only seen this case once now and I believe I could pick up the signs and make the connection if I ever came across it again. And I would know just how serious it is and you CANNOT take chances!

Luckily that particular vet was dismissed and I never have to see her at the clinic again. I will be taking my new pup to puppy school in a few weeks and it will be my first time back there since Jersey died. It’s going to be difficult, but I know I have to be strong. I don’t believe the clinic is responsible, I believe it was that particular vet that was incompetent and I want them to be able to build my trust up again, knowing that my best friends are in the best possible hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
What a sad story! I hope you have asked your in-laws to remove the rat poison. Such a needless tragedy and a good reminder to make sure we don't have anything like that in our house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So sorry for your loss... As you know I lost my max at 2 and a half years old from bone cancer. I'll put his story on here soon

It's so heartbreaking loosing your dog at such a young age.. It's unfair and I can't get my head around it. 2 days on and we're devastated.

My thoughts are with you - life right now for us so so different without max in it :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss too. It's heart breaking isn't it especially when they are taken so young. The only thing that heals the pain is time. I still think about my girl every day and it still shocks me that she's actually gone. But her memory makes me smile and I'm so grateful for being blessed with being her owner and I know I loved her to the moon and back and I know that she knew how much I loved her. My thoughts are with u too, so sorry to hear about ur loss :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
JaMarMax,I was hoping that all would be well, so sorry that its not :( can imagine what you are going though :(

Jersey, how long now until you get your net bundle of fun?!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nic - 12 sleeps until my new little princess Harley fly's in! I cannot wait to meet her. I've longed for that beagle presence and it's been a long 5 months wait but it is going to be so worth it.

Harley could never replace Jersey, but I can promise to love her the way I loved Jersey. And it turns out that Harley is Jersey's neice, so I'm hoping that she carries some of Jersey's traits just so a part of Jersey is always with us.

Here's some pics - she's almost 8 weeks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts