Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday Rio was rushed to the vet because she wouldn't walk on her right hind leg. The diagnosis was that the ligiment containing the patella (knee cap) was popping out of its track and causing this condition. Apparently, this track is shallow and needs to be carved deeper to help prevent this from happening again. The doctor is looking to do this ASAP but I'm thinking about getting x-rays first and then a second opinion. (My vet is a family friend so they're not looking to just do this for the money).

Anyone else had an experience like this and if so, what was your course of action and subsequent results?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
If you have any questions about the surgery, second opinions are a must. If you trust the vet/surgeon, then do it. Just be sure that waiting will not cause more harm that could lead to permanent damage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,715 Posts
Oh poor Rio!! I am so sorry! It's so hard to see our babes in pain. I haven't had any experience with this, but I'm thinking that family friend or no, you should at least ask for Xrays and a second opinion might not be a bad idea, considering it's surgery. What he's saying makes sense to me; my shoulders dislocate very easily because, as the doctor explained to me, my shoulder joints are more like a cup and saucer instead of a ball and socket, and the cup rolls off the saucer pretty easily. So I had surgery and he made the cup be more like a socket. It sounds like Rio's surgery would be something similar. But I'd want to see that on an xray. Good luck, and please give Rio a gentle tummy rub for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
I have not come across this before either. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to Rio and keep us posted.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,444 Posts
Our first beagle, Bilbo, had this complaint. She was running along a beach and stumbled and one of her back legs collapsed. we took a screaming beagle to the vets and he managed to get the knee back in, but warned us that only an operation would solve the problem. Bilbo had the operation after the knee popped out again, and the operation cured the problem. Ask your vet to show you the Xray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Try this link: Google Search- medial patellar luxation in dogs

Our Sadie has this condition. We went for a second opinion and got one that was what we wanted to hear. I’m not saying your situation is the same. Sadie, so far, hasn’t become lame with it. We are in “wait and see mode“.
If you do a search for Luxation here on the forum, you'll find my posts about it and the advice I received from the great people here.

Hope this helps.
Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
I have not had any experience with this, but I wish Rio all the best. I do agree that if you are unsure a second opinion is a good idea as long as Rio is doing o.k. I hope everything goes well and will keep you and Rio in my thoughts and prayers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Chloe's vet said something about her patella when we went for the 1 year visit. With Chloe it's so minor, that you can't even feel it unless you know what you're looking for. He said that she will likely not show any signs of problem for the rest of her life, so I was happy.

Kisses and gentle rubs to Rio. I hope she feels better soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Booker had this problem too when she was younger (age 3 when we got her, not sure if it also happened with her old owners earlier). Smetimes when she jumped off the bed she would lie right down rather than being able to get up, but the kneecap always seemed to pop back in right away without any need for us to intervene. We were advised to take the wait and see approach, watch her weight (since more beagle = more strain on the knee), and it seemed to just stop happening as she got older... I can't remember the last time it happened but it was YEARS ago now. I would agree with getting a second opinion and hopefully Rio's problem can be managed without surgery if it isn't too severe - although it sounds like the surgery effectively solves the problem if it does come to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
My sister's yorkie had surgery for this, so I guess it's not unusual. Definitely get a second opinion, and don't operate unless your are convinced it must be done. Of course, as Joe said, don't wait if waiting will cause more damage.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rio here:

I was examined by another vet last night and almost verbatum to my vet, she explained the problem and evident solution...surgery.

My master is waiting to get an accurate cost estimate and the soonest surgical date from the doctors. I'm going to have it done by last night's vet because she explained the two procedures available and was convinced the more radical of the two is by far better for my health in the long run and would likely eliminate the problem from ever occurring again.

Also, they are a highly regarded vet hospital and I do know two pet friends who had major surgery performed with great success.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragment and wish my master good luck. (He's going to need it because if you ask me, he's more nervous than I am...but what do I know, I'm just a dog!)

I'll keep everyone updated as best I can.

Thanks everyone!
Rio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Quote: Thanks for all the kind words of encouragment and wish my master good luck. (He's going to need it because if you ask me, he's more nervous than I am...but what do I know, I'm just a dog!)
You be a good girl, and be calm and quiet while you recover. They say that's the hardest part of the whole thing for everybody.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top