Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about this post as I'm sure you all have answered this before, but here it goes....

Do alot of beagles reverse sneeze and should I be worried? Buzz does it alot, but doesn't seem to bothered by it as it comes and goes. Also do Beagles snore alot? Mine does too. Just wondered how other Beagle owners dealt with this since I'm a fairly new owner. Thanks!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We always answer things that were asked before - no need to apologize!

Beagles are prone to reverse sneezing. No need to be alarmed, it doesn't harm them. It does help to have them walked with a harness and not a collar, and if there is an attack, you can put your hand over the dog's nose and mouth... that will help with regulating the air supply and most likely will stop the sneezing.

Chloe rarely snores, but I know lots of dogs that do.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
One of our beagles (Popcorn) reverse sneezes a lot - the others do it but only once in a while, whereas Popcorn would do it sometimes several times a day). We recently changed her food because she was having allergy issues (scratching at her gums until they bled) and thinking back now I don't know the last time she had a reverse sneeze attack... I wonder if that is at all connected? Hmmm - just thought of that.

The best way we have found to stop an episode is to hold one hand over her nose and massage the throat with the other - it looks strange (we have certainly gotten some looks when this has happened in public) but the key is to get the dog to swallow so that everything can go back into place.

As for the snoring - yes we get a lot of that too - although our biggest snorer is a different dog, Booker. She could give some humans a run for the money in the snore department!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mine all have an occasional reverse sneeze, but not very often. I don't do anything to try to make it pass. I just let it happen and it stops on its own.

As for snoring. Out of 4 dogs (3 purebred beagles/1 mix)...I have one that snores a lot, one that snores very little and 2 that sleep quietly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine will snore depending on what position they're sleeping. And yes, my Lilo reverse sneezes more than Java, but from what I've read it's nothing to be too worried about as it's something that is prevalent in the breed.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey does the occassional reverse sneeze. Amber did it a lot. The best thing I've found is to hold Jersey's mouth and cover her nose. That way she has to swallow and it stops the reverse sneeze. Anything to make them swallow works.

Bookermoose...the reverese sneeze is definitely related to allergies. Jersey has seasonal allergies and does reverse sneeze much more during that time. I asked my vet if there as a correlation and he said yes.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
My previous beagle Molly reverse sneezed a lot...practically every day. I've never heard Maggie reverse sneeze, and she's a year old. I also think it's related to allergies, as Molly was allergic to a lot of things, and so far, Maggie doesn't seem to be allergic to anything.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston sometimes makes this wierd noise that I think is a reverse sneeze. His snoring could wake the dead, his farts clear a room and if he could grab his crotch he could go down to the pub to watch hockey and everyone would think he's just one of the guys.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Huh... I don't think I've ever heard Bodie reverse sneeze. And since I've never even heard of that before I might of missed it. He's only sneezed a few times that I can recall. Can anyone explain what a reverse sneeze sounds like or how it's different?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Huh... I don't think I've ever heard Bodie reverse sneeze. And since I've never even heard of that before I might of missed it. He's only sneezed a few times that I can recall. Can anyone explain what a reverse sneeze sounds like or how it's different?
Hmm..it's a really unique sound and body reaction. To me, it sounds like they're hyperventilating and choking a bit. They're able to function still (like walk around and look at you with those what's going on?! look).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think it sounds like they have the dry heaves (sp?) but they are blowing a lot of air through their noses while trying to throw up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's Mom and if he could grab his crotch he could go down to the pub to watch hockey and everyone would think he's just one of the guys.

Brien, a reverse sneeze sounds almost like a blockage that they are trying to clear. Like a cat with a hair ball or maybe even an asthma attack.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe reverse sneezes A LOT!! It took awhile to get used to and he still startles me sometimes, it comes on so randomly. But all is ok!

Cole has not reverse sneezed yet but boy can that little guy snore. He makes lots of funny noises when he sleeps, he is an active sleeper and doesn't lie still. One time he was napping and his tail was wagging a mile a minute, by the time I got the video camera he stopped!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Last night at around 3am Buddy went through his first reverse sneezing bout. It lasted about 5 minutes. I am very glad that i read a lot of information here on this site about Beagles before I got Buddy. If I didn't read all that stuff I would of flipped out last night and not know what was going on.

Do we know for a fact that it has to do with allergies or something like that? I will ask my vet next time I go next month.

I found a video on youtube and this is what it sounds and looks like.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ErB6LVySurE

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke used to reverse sneeze fairly often as a pup, but not very often now. Violet has a few times, but rarely. Neither of them snores (Cassie does enough of that for all of them). But Violet does her funny little grunts all the time, especially when she is cuddling and being loved on.

My family all cracks up and calls her Miss Piggy, the vet says it's her happy noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all of you. Alot of that made me laugh!!! I knew I shouldn't be worried, but wanted to hear if your beagles did the same. Sorry it took so long for me to read all your answers! Got busy doing nothing I guess!! Thanks again

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: ZookeeperViolet does her funny little grunts all the time, especially when she is cuddling and being loved on.

My family all cracks up and calls her Miss Piggy, the vet says it's her happy noise.
hahahaha! sophie does the same thing!!! that's too funny!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts