Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retained deciduous teeth help

Hi all,

A fancy name for having adult and baby teeth at the same time, which is apparently a big problem. My beag is nearly 8 months and has retained her baby canines, so she has 8 canine teeth at the moment. Has anyone else had this problem? Did you have the teeth removed or did they fall out naturally?

I don't want my dog to have dental problems now or in the future, but we really can't afford another vet bill at the moment. She seems to have something wrong with her every month and the vet is costing a fortune.

Any advice about the teeth would be great.

Thanks, Carla

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Retained deciduous teeth help

Squeegee had one over-retained primary tooth. I am a dental assistant and didn't worry too much about it. Usually they eventually they get loose and fall out. Sometimes they can be a trap for food and you have to watch out just b/c trapped food can cause decay. Have you tested to see if they are wiggly? If they are wiggly they should fall out. Are the permanent teeth fully erupted? If not they may still dissolve more of the root of the baby teeth as they grow in. As I said, I was not concerned about Squeegee's. One fell out eventually and the other one had not fallen out yet at one of Squeegee's appointments so the vet just took a plier and pulled it. It was no big deal and he didn't charge me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for your reply Vicki.
Just attempted to wiggle baby teeth - this was not appreciated and I'm now being attacked and typing one-handed :). All 4 teeth seem firmly stuck and it looks like her adult teeth are fully grown.
I'm just worried as I've rad the baby teeth should all be out by 7 months or they need extracting and [email protected] 8 months on Monday

·
Registered
193 Posts

Try giving her a hard chew or bone as they might help to make them loose.
Or if you are having her spayed soon get them extracted then.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Spock's baby teeth were still in his head at 9 months. The vet removed them when he was neutered, and I don't think we were charged. You could always call the vet and ask for advice, maybe see how much any procedure would cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for responding vonny and Eve.
She regularly chews hard things and I don't think here teeth are going to budge.
We are going to get her spayed after her first season, which she is in now. The cost will be 225 euros, I will have to check with the vet how much they will charge to take the teeth out at the same time.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Originally Posted By: cmg11Thanks for responding vonny and Eve.
She regularly chews hard things and I don't think here teeth are going to budge.
We are going to get her spayed after her first season, which she is in now. The cost will be 225 euros, I will have to check with the vet how much they will charge to take the teeth out at the same time.
Thanks for your help.
You might be lucky and not have to pay much more

·
Registered
230 Posts

Flora had a couple of her canines pulled when she was spayed as well. I don't remember whether or not I was charged, but it was a small amount if I was charged at all.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

Maggie also had teeth removed when she was spayed. I can't remember the cost either but it wasn't much if anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts