Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have restless mature Beagle? Sadie is 9. For the past year she sleeps under our bed at night some, and up on the bed some. Pooh Bear still sleeps on the bed. He will get up on the bed at bedtime, go round and round about 20 times, fall in a heap and sleep through the night. Sadie may start out in the bed, but only stays about 5 minuntes, then jumps down and goes under the bed. In an hour or two she will be whining to get back up. She can't jump up on our high bed, so I pull her up. She stays for a while, and then back under the bed. Finally about 2 or 3 a.m. she will ask to get back up and will stay till early morning.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We tried for the first time to let our two sleep in the room with us. They usually are gated in the hallway with their own beds. Ruby stayed under the covers almost all night, kicking us occasionally, and Bailey was up every hour, on the bed, then off the bed, then on. Maybe he wasn't used to the freedom. I slept pretty well, but Bailey kept Ernie up all night with his movement. We mainly wanted to do this so we could sleep in in the morning, because the dogs will whine and bark in the hallway EVERY morning at dawn. It was nice to gently wake up (later!) to hand licks instead of noise though!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has nights like that sometimes, but most of the time she stays put or may be off the bed once and into her crate. When Amber started to get a little older and wasn't able to get up and down off the bed, we stopped bringing her up with us and got her own bed for her. Then when she did get up and wander she wasn't waking us up. I felt awful about it at first, but we all got used to it. In the long run, it was the best thing for us all.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a strange thing happen this morning. Sadie hopped down from the bed about 4:50 a.m. We had the alarm set for 5 a.m. to get up to get ready for work. I know usually she will get up and get a drink and scratch and lay in the living room for a bit. So I don't have to jump right up to let her out. Pooh Bear jumped down from the bed at 5 when the clock went off. Usually after a few min. of Sadie and Pooh getting up Sadie will come into the bedroom and get me up. She does this by standing on her rear legs, and pawing at me on the bed and whining. The longer I put off getting up, the louder her whining gets. Well, this morning I lay there kind of sleeping till 5:15 a.m. I rolled over and thought I've got to get up. Wonder why Sadie hasn't come in to get me up yet. So I start to worry, and hop up to go and see. The back door leading to our back yard was open a little (just enough for 2 Beagles to go out). This door has to be pushed shut tight, or it will swing back open slowly. I must not have pushed it closed tight last night. So Sadie and Pooh were probably very happy that their door was already open and they could just go on outside. I was a bit panicked when I saw the door open and ran out to see that they were both out there. They were out there doing their thing. I usually go out with them in the early mornings to watch for sniffing, vigorous tail wagging and running around like crazy. Those are the indications that they are on a scent, and baying and barking will soon follow. We can't make noise like that so early in the morning. Lucikly, no scents to bark at this morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts