Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh - sorry, just typing it made my stomach turn!

Our pup resource guards a bit - a couple of his toys, rawhide and things he steals. I've started to read the book Mine! to work with him on this - usually we can coax him away with a couple of treats.

About two weeks ago our pup threw up after scarfing down a tin foil ball. He was trying to lick it up so I was coaxing him away and he was going nutty - growling, biting.

Last night, he woke in the middle of the night so my husband brought him in the bathroom to vomit (still not sure what caused this one). He was sitting right next to his pile and growling...my husband was trying to soothe himi and the pup lunged at him - growling like the Tazmanian devil. Sure he's only 15 pounds but he sounded fierce!

Just having a hard time understanding why he would guard his vomit and act this crazy?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am interested to know more about this as well.

Our beagle only does this around cat food. He is not allowed to have cat food, but every once in awhile he sneaks downstairs and tries to score the cat food. When we try to remove him from the cat food or scold him for trying to/actually eating the cat food he snarles and nips and barks very loud.

This is the old resource that he protects like that.

You would think, based on his reaction, that he never gets fed!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feedback from another Pet forum was to teach a trade command for things he guards. SO rather than leave it or drop it, teach trade and reward with a HIGH value treat!

Between the book and obedience training we start next week, I'm hoping to have this taken care of and I'll post on our progress.

What's funny is that our boy does not guard his food. I keep my hands in the bowl the whole time he's eating!

·
Registered
181 Posts
We do the trade thing for things like shoes and mittens that he steals. Usually he is so fast with the cat food though that there would be nothing left to trade for.

He is not protective of his own food at all.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That is the only time Jersey has ever shown any aggression towards me. Two or three times now, was going to eat her vomit after she threw up and growled at me when I tried to get her away to clean it up. I can take her food away from her, take toys out of her mouth, take anything else away from her and she couldn't care less.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My girl guards her barf like it's pirate booty! Actually, she usually wolfs it down just as quick as she barfed it up... a true beagle wastes no food!
It's a tough situation, because she'll eat it before I can grab a high-value treat to trade with her. If she's barfed something that really should not go back in her belly, I'll grab ANYTHING and throw it over top of the vomit and depending on what she's doing, will either get in there and stand on it until she backs off or will convince her to follow me to the real treasure chest (fridge) for high-value treats.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Reminds my of an occasion with our first beagle, Bilbo. We had visitors to dinner, and the husband disliked dogs. They had just finished their food and settled in the lounge and i went out to get some drinks, when there was a shout from our guests. Bilbo had been sick in front of them. Horror of horror i dashed to get something to clear it up with, when another shout came, she had eaten it again.

If you think its gross that a dog eats its vomit, then you should see it when its two dogs. One inevitably eats the others vomit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts