Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an ad on Craigslist last week for a beagle in Bakersfield. He's 6 months old and has the normal beag problems. I wanted him, but Dave is really set on a female because he's afraid 2 males may lead to dominance issues with a female (Cassie) around. I don't think it will matter if everybody is fixed. This dog isn't nuetered, but he's old enough to be.

I had inquired on this dog last week. She emailed me over the weekend sometime and said that she wanted to know if I was interested because otherwise, her husband was talking the dog to the pound this afternoon. I wrote her back and begged her not to do that and I contacted NorCal Beagle Rescue (left a message) and told her that rescues would give Digger a better chance for a forever home. I even told her that if they couldn't wait until I hear back from the rescue, I'd be willing to foster him until he can get into a rescue or find a forever home. That there was a good chance that if I fostered him, Dave would fall in love and we'd be his forever home.

I didn't hear back from her, but noticed she does have another ad on Craigslist (still asking $100 for him, but I know she'd give him away at this point). Here are the two ads for him, the original ad:

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/pet/727035565.html

Today's ad:
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/pet/729258246.html

If anybody knows anyone in the area looking for a young male beagle, this dog is in desperate need of a home. I hope and pray this woman will at least look at options other than the pound.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Any updates on this poor guy? Did they end up calling you back?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They wrote me back and said that she had to ask her husband if he was willing to wait for us or a rescue to come and get him. A woman from Beagles and Buddies contacted me back and said she would try to get ahold of them and ask them to wait until she got back down south.

Then the next day, Beagles and Buddies wrote me back and said she couldn't get the link to work and asked me to see if they still had him. I emailed them but never got a response. I imagine they put the little guy in the pound and that just kills me. He was really cute, so I hope he finds a good home, I just know a rescue would do a better job of screening potential owners.

I swear, I have to stop looking on Craigslist. It breaks my heart to see how many people are giving up their dogs (or, for the most part, trying to sell them) for such stupid reasons. Oh, we're getting a pool and there's not enough yard for him/her. Or the ones that actually say, Have to 'get rid' of my dog. Or, We just don't have enough time because we have a child now. Excuses, every one of them. How can you have a dog for years and suddenly decide you don't want to deal with it anymore? Don't get me wrong, I know there are some dire circumstances that can't be helped, but installing a pool is not one of them. Just really bothers me to see these poor dogs. Fact is, I'll bet they don't care how big their yard is, as long as they still get to live with the family they love.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hopefully, someone went and got the dog so they didn't have to take it to the pound. I can't imagine they wouldn't have taken you up on your offer. Surely, they would have rather you taken him to a rescue than dump him at the pound. At least I am hoping they wouldn't have done that.

It is so frustrating to hear about these type of people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts