Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave and I had decided to get another beagle down the road a bit. Our labs are working at 13 and 14 and we know our time is limited with them. We do want our next dog to be a beagle and after discussing all our options, we've decided that the next beagle will be a rescue beagle.

Though hopefully it will be a while (since we want our labs to stay with us forever, even when we know we're lucky to have had them this long). We want to get some advice from those of you that have rescued beagles. We are in California and it looks like there is a large beagle rescue in Northern CA, which is probably where we'll look.

Anything we should be on the look out for with a rescue or any advice on what we can do to make it an easier transition for the dog would be appreciated. We've only had pups in the past, never rescued a dog and we want to do as much research and be as educated as we possibly can be so that when the time comes, we can be the best family to one of these deserving babies.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know if that will work for you, but you can take the labs and the beag with you to the pound and try to introduce them outside with the rescue, and see how they interact. That will help with getting them all easy with each other at home, and give you an idea about the rescue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got Artimus from the Norcal beagle rescue!! They are totally awesome. Actually, you might want to try fostering a beagle first, that way you can get adjusted to a beagle (and maybe even fall in love with one and want to keep him) and then if you decide to adopt him, you are first in line for consideration /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I got my rescue from a local kill shelter. He knew his time was up and was glad as hack to come home with me. He was scared, timed, and afraid of brooms and raised voices. I talked gentle to him, took him on lots of walks and to obedience school. We bonded very well in short order. I think the more down on luck the beagle; the easier it is to transition them. Their expectations are so low that any combination of love, attention and kindness (What all dogs should have) makes them so grateful. It took my rescue about 6 months to shed his rescue baggage. The real joy is in seeing the real beagle emerge. Seems to me, all a rescue needs is your labs and beagles approval and your kindness. You will benefit as much as the rescue.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Bob's advice is spot on from our experience too. I remember when we rescued Moose we asked the rescue workers what we needed to do to make the transition as easy as possible for him and they said just having a family that loved and cared for him was going to be pretty much all Moose would need - and that the one we should focus more on right away would be Booker, who was going from being the centre of attention to having to share us with Moose. I think having the rescue meet your other dog(s) on neutral territory is important. We also spent a fair amount of time deciding what age, sex and temperment would be the best fit with the others each time we have adopted - since we know Booker isn't going to react well to an "in your face" puppy who bugs her, and Moosie isn't going to react well to a young male who tries to dominate him... Good luck with your rescue plan - hope you don't have to put the plan into action for a long time but I know the beagle will be out there for you when you do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts