Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Some of you might remember me. I am Hayley's mom. We were once a 3 beagle family. Bailey moved with our oldest son when he left the nest. Hayley followed my daughter when she got married. So they are now known as my grandbeags. We still have, and love tremendously, our 5 year old Toby. Things got kind of boring around here when we became empty nester so I decided to look for a part time job doing something I love. I ended up taking a position almost 2 years ago at the local 24 hour emergency veterinary hospital. (lots of stories in itself).
Late tonight a couple came in with a 13 wk old male beagle....just the cutest thing. This was a 2nd injury in his little life. He had been attacked by their other dog - a St. Bernard so needless to say it was bad. Upon initial exam it was noted that he had blood in his stomach, he was in shock, many puncture wounds in lower ab but lungs appear fine. Vet advised at minimum suportive care through the night with the possibility of exploratory surgery. The owners basically said to heck with it - they wanted a perfect beagle...not one with scars so they wanted him euthanized. We are not allowed (by hospital policy) to ask owners if we can have the dog....but I went out on a limb and asked if they had considered surrendering it to a rescue organization to at least give the pup a chance. With much pleading I got the vet to agree to have them surrender and let me take ownership (along with the bills but that isn't the issue).
So far Puppy (I'm afraid to name him) has been given morphine, is on IV fluids and antibiotics, he is in a warmer since his body temp was extremely low. He seems to be less shocky and responds to voices. He will be monitored throughout the night with more xrays in the am if things go well. The prognosis is guarded. Could be anything to simple blunt force trama internal bleeding to major organ damage. I told the vet I don't want this pup to suffer at all so humane euthanasia is an option....but I want to give the poor little guy a chance to experience life without pain...fear...and with love if that is at all a possibility.
1st problem...I haven't told my dear hubby but been there done that so he will deal with it after the initial shock!! My plan is to do all we can medically, bring him home to recuperate and go from there. My options are to keep him forever or to find him a good home. Because we are approaching retirement I would rather find him a good home...but I am certainly going to keep him rather than let him ever suffer again.
Guess I am asking if anyone knows of a good family who would love and want a puppy (after healed and I will also begin shots and worming). Sorry but I would have to check references, meet the people or at least get to know them...but basically this pup will not go to anything but the very best family. Again, if I do not find a perfect family I will keep him. I am so trying not to have false hopes but this pup seems like a fighter. Prayers are so needed, fingers and paws crossed too. I will keep you posted and could again be in need of puppy advice...it has been a while!! Thanks, Julie and the gang

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh, what a poor little guy! Bless you for taking the risk that you did, and ensuring this poor pup has a chance at a good life. Me, Daisy, Lola & Maggie will be pulling for him.

And SHAME on those terrible owners. I guess they are lucky that THEIR parents didn't insist on perfect children!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I know the situation you are in, but from the adopter's side. Its similar to how we got Kali. First, go ahead and tell your BH. He may surprise you. Talk to Toby, he may want a little brother.

You might as well go ahead and name him. You know what you REALLY want to do.

Our thoughts are with and the little guy. Give him some gentle rubs from us.

BTW: Scars give Beagles character. Anyway the AKC allows scars on beagles.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Oh that poor little pup. So many angry thoughts are in my head regarding those people who wanted a perfect pup. They should have thought about that before their other dog attacked. He can't help that. You are an angel for helping this little guy.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Puppy is named - Lucky! He made it through the night needing a transfusion. Temp is back to normal but there is obviously still some significant internal bleeding. They are taking xrays as I type and it looks like a quick exploratory is in order. Everyone at the hospital has totally fallen in love with this little guy. Although he is in critical condition, he still manages a small tail thump when you talk to him. BTY, I did tell my hubby the good news this am. His comment I'm surprised it took you this long. I am still afraid to jinx this by pulling out the baby crate and gates, but not so much that I don't stop and say hi baby, momma is here every chance I get. It is going to be a long day but I will keep you all posted. Hugs, Julie

·
Registered
220 Posts
awww there's tears in my eyes as i read this...and i'm at work!! You are such a sweetheart for helping Lucky. I can't beleive those owners!!!

Our thoughts and prayers are with Lucky!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You are a survivor for Lucky! I do hope you decide to keep him! Our fingers and paws are crossed that Lucky makes it through. From my Lucky to yours, hugs & kisses!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I too am a little tearry eyed. I'm so glad to read that he made it through the night. I'll say a little prayer that he gets better real soon. Lucky sounds like he's a tough little guy. I hope you decide to keep him, but I know you'll find him a great new home otherwise. Give him some extra love from his friends here at BW!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I say keep him! I think the little guy may surprise you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: Henry's MomI say keep him! I think the little guy may surprise you.
i agree. besides how'r you gonna find someone to love him as much as you already do?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Bless you. Thank you for saving ths little guy. Those people ought never to have dogs. Please keep us up tp date.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Happy, Sad, Angry. I am all those things right now! Happy that little Lucky came to your clinic. Sad beyond belief that he had to go through all that pain and suffering in his young life. And angry to the point of tears that anyone would sell a sweet defenseless puppy to people like that. What has happened to responsible breeders! Hang in there Lucky, we are all pulling for you and all the good thoughts and vibes coming your way will wrap you up in a warm little cozy blanket of love and well being.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to take so long in updating you guys. Lucky was really a fighter. Despite every available medical intervention including multiple blood transfusions, our vets never thought he was stable enough to withstand an exploratory. His xrays showed a very diffused belly and also a previous injury (badly healing broken jaw). I am personally filing an animal abuse complaint against the scum who brought him in. I sat holding him for hours amidst all those tubes occasionally getting that ever so slight tail wag when talking to him. He died in my arms - with no pain, gently and knowing someone cared. One of the vets did a necropsy which showed his liver had been damaged beyond repair as well as other critically injured organs. Puncture wounds on a little dog vs. a big dog are always vicious but I always held out hold that it was just blunt force trauma that he would eventually recover from. From this experience I learned that loving from only a short time is better than no love at all. Lucky will always hold a special place in my heart and I will pick him up at Rainbow Bridge. Thanks for all the prayers and kind words. Julie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts