Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that Henry's always been a picky eater. He wouldn't touch the Science Diet he came home from the shelter with. My vet recommended I switch him to a high-quality food with a better taste, like Eukanuba, Purina Pro Plan, etc. I switched Henry to Pro Plan shortly thereafter. He ate gustily for awhile, then got picky on me. So I made extra-sure that he got plenty of exercise and was truly hungry at meal times. This worked for awhile. About six weeks ago, however, Henry started regurgitating after eating. Food was not even making it to his stomach. As he was not showing any symptoms of illness, my vet recommended narrowing down some variables before more invasive techniques. So more down time after exercising, smaller meals, taking away water, etc. This has worked to some degree, and his regurgitation is usually only a couple of times a week now. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow for x-rays in hopes we will find whatever is wrong with his esophagus; scar tissue, inflammation, reflux, scriture, etc. Keep in mind that he's acting perfectly normal and happy. I'm not asking for medical advice here, but has anyone ever heard of this? Esophagus problems, I've heard, are quite uncommon. I'm almost positive that's where the problem is because he's not vomiting (no bile, half-digested food; the regurgitation is almost immediately after eating). Sorry for the long post y'all,
Melissa

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Sorry, I have no experience with this but I am sure that more experienced beagle owners than I will be able to help you. It sounds like you have a good vet. Please keep us posted on what you find out tomorrow.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Spook has problems with regurgitation. He usually does it a few hours after eating, and it's undigested. We had a series of X-rays done, both plain and barium. The vet determined that he has pyloric stenosis.

In this condition, there is a narrowing (stenosis) of the pylorus, the region of the stomach through which food and liquid pass into the small intestine. Affected animals vomit after eating. In the congenital form, pups are born with the condition.

Right now, we're having success by feeding him sensitive digestive food which I soak for awhile before feeding. So far, that's done pretty well at controlling the regurgitation. If it starts on a regular basis again, we'll have surgery performed to correct the condition.

We also have fixed an elevated feeding station for Spook. It's not clear whether that helps or not, but it doesn't do any harm.

Spook also eats normally and is a happy, active dog. This is a long post, too, and I hope it's informative.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks y'all! Henry's appointment went well; there's nothing showing up on x-ray that's wrong with him. I just have to work on slowing him down, I guess. It's funny; my 2 cockers were chowhounds and could wolf down a meal in about 30 seconds and never got sick. Henry seems to eat a lot slower, but go figure. He's just sensitive, lol. My vet didn't rule out the possibility of tiny ulcers or reflux after eating, but assured me he was totally fine. Henry wants me to mention how very well-behaved he was today, and what a wonderful patient he was. It's true, lol. I know my vet really well and Henry loves him. A trip to the vet's is actually fun for him. He took it all in his stride and gave Dr. Jared and his techs some nice barium kisses! (He looked rabid with that chalky stuff all over his mouth!)
Kisses from Henry,
Melissa

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am glad you didn't find anything serious. Maybe its just a matter of finding the right food. The place I buy my dog food gives samples of everything they sell.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I know you're happy that nothing showed up on the x-ray. :thumbup: He was really good when he had to do that, too, and knows the barium isn't tasty.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been feeding Henry 3 times a day now rather than 2, and I've been soaking his food a bit. He's not too sure whether he likes it this way or not, so his indecision has slowed him down a bit! LOL. I'm going to get him an elevated set of bowls as soon as I have a bit of extra dough saved. There's a really nice set of University of Tennessee ones in the bookstore. In case you didn't know, Henry is a diehard fan of the Vols! His collar, his sweater, his coat, his bandana, and his blanket are all Vol! He loves to come on campus with me too! Thanks Sandyj!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts