Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nearly 5 year old beagle and just recently had my guns shipped to me from my old home. Back in MI i used to do a lot of wabbit hunting with my beagles and now would like to get back into it, my only concern is that Molson has been a house dog for almost all of his 5 years. Is it too late to teach him?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks isn't true but there is normally a reason why these sayings come about.

It is harder to teach an older dog anything, they take longer to learn and are more set in their ways. Bad habits have been formed that may need to be un-done first.

As to whether you can teach a 5 year old house dog to hunt I've no idea because it's not something I've ever done. I have however successfully managed to teach a 10 year old rescue who had never had a days training in her life to do a few things.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'll suggest the same forum to you that I suggested before - American Beagler has more "hunting and trialing" information than some of the other forums - I know literally nothing about either but I do check in there from time to time. Hope it's helpful to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While appreciate the site and have even bookmarked it from your previous reply to another thread, they didn't have a forum that i could find where i could actually ask the question....

Edit: ahhh i found what it was under..the 'archaic' name of bulletin board /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Molson, I just noticed that we're NEIGHBORS! I live in Colfax! Nice to meet another person from eastern WA.

I don't visit American Beagler often because my dogs are all strictly pets (and my babies). When I have visited it I noticed that everyone there (like here) is eager to help with questions. Hope you find an answer - however, in the meantime, if you don't mind me copying your question, I have an internet buddy in IN who is very "into" training - and is even a judge for field trials. I will forward your question to him and let you know what he says??
Glenda

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Another suggestion would be to join the local beagle club. The one in Spokane is starting up again - and while I think the emphasis might be more on "show beagles", it could be a good source for "networking". I think the dues are very minimal. Here's the link for the club.

Lorna Boydston
Beagle Club of Eastern Washington
President
Legislature Liaison
Rescue Director

PO Box 189
Colbert, Wa. 99005

http://www.beagleclubofewa.org

Here is the response from Chris: "Start slowly, find someone that has a training pen..
taking the beagle there will give it more of a chance to scent and chase a rabbit..
unless they want to leave the dog there for a month, they could drive it there every other day.. this is the only way to make sure your rabbit is actually running a rabbit.. instead of deer or squirrels .the guy that has the running pen will be able to help a lot and tell the owner if there dog is going to start running... hope this helps."

I hope some of this is useful to you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.