Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEVER in my life of owning dogs and there have been at least 9 dogs in my life....have I had a dog(s) that have been able to break into the refrigerator and eat everything in site.
UNTIL NOW. By now I don't mean today, I mean about a year ago, Cobi, broke the seal on the refrigerator door and got it opened, he ate a lot (I mean A LOT!!!) of food....picture skinny dog, belly like a pregnant cow!:(

We have tried everything, new seals, bolts on the door, now we have the door tied shut, tied to the oven door, which is then tied to the pots and pans rack next to it. IF everyone cooperates and ties the door shut, no problems. So far neither Cobi or Casie can undo knots. But, sonny boy, is not always with the program, and is most likely to be on the run, and forget, and we have our little beagle "cowbelly" back....like tonight.

Cobi is getting older, he is 9 now, and I worry about so much food in his stomach, bursting the stomach or intestines, or even the hard work it puts on his kidneys and heart. He has arthritis in his knee, and that has got to be tough to jump or walk up the step to bed or the couch...with all that extra weight.

SO, my question, after all of that is.....any ideas on how to keep the refrigerator door shut....and the dogs from eating everything inside. I'd like to be able to buy a new frig, but that's not in the budget right now, although it may have to be, and then how to keep them out of it, or from striping the seals off the new one.

Ideas? I hate this, I feel like just a failure with my little (right now big) guy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Your not a failure in any way shape or form, what about a bungee cord? this may work, I would pass you one but of my screen wont suck through cyberspace yet ":)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Don't fret you are not a failure! I have heard about this problem and beagles quite often.

Can you just keep him out of the kitchen altogether? That might be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I saw this on "It's Me or the Dog". They put an alarm on the fridge so when it was opened a loud sound went off. This startled the dog so much, he didn't raid the fridge. After a while the dog associated the fridge with the loud sound when it opened and didn't want to have anything to do with it again.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I saw this on "It's Me or the Dog". They put an alarm on the fridge so when it was opened a loud sound went off. This startled the dog so much, he didn't raid the fridge. After a while the dog associated the fridge with the loud sound when it opened and didn't want to have anything to do with it again.

Just a thought.
I saw this episode too, and although I've never had this problem with my two little darlings(yet!!!) I thought it sounded like a great solution. Certainly worth a try and cheaper than a new fridge- good luck x

·
Registered
220 Posts
we got some of those alarms at the pool store to alert us if a child opened a door onto the pool deck. they are small enough to hardly be noticed on the fridge but loud and piercing enough to discourage any dog.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rocky, I will definitely look into these and see what comes of it. Right now, we are nursing Cobi back to health, today is NOT a good day, I think he might be "backed up" acting a little lethargic, etc. I just don't want to have to have him go through by-pass surgery again, to get "unblocked". It was too hard on both of us.

thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just wanted to send Cobi lots of good thoughts, hope he's doing better!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to the Vet today, his ears were bothering him....no wonder he doesn't answer me....found out that his stomach is not quite empty (on what he ate, it wouldn't be) but nothing is "stuck" or hardening...so that is a good thing. He does have some Licking problems with his paws, so we got some hydrocortisone spray for those...and directions on making a bucket for his head if he doesn't stop. Crazy pooch loves everything we have tried on those paws from chilies to green apple/orange spray. They really gave him the once over, said he'd probably live another 5 years IF he'd stay out of the frigerator.

They are in a study with the University of MN Vet school to work with pet owners and the pets weight. So they got all that info from us and Cobi and will get Casie's info when he gets his shots.
We Americans it is thought over indulge our animals and think that food is making them happier animals...they are trying to see what it takes to get owners and pets to slim down. We can use all of that, I'd take them both to Weight Watchers with me, if they'd sign us up.

Told the vet about the refrigerator door locks and he is checking them out to have at the clinic, guess Cobi isn't the only food thief in the area. His weight????? 34 lbs...OMG!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Fortunately our two can't open the fridge, but they have gotten into the food before. I'm wondering, if they get into the food and you're concerned, could you give them something to make them throw it up? I know it's not the best solution, or long-term, but it could help if you're really worried about the extra food in their stomachs.

As far as the weight, we just recently switched our guys to a lower cal food, and started using little pieces of carrots as treats, instead of the high calorie regular dog treats. It seems to be helping. good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
White at the vet, he told us his first inclination was to make him throw it up....but after hearing the amount of food that he ate, that would have been the worst thing to do. It would be much better to let it work it's way through his system...if his abdomen as become rigid, then we would have tried a laxative and lots of water. When he got loose stools we gave him pepto bismol....how did we live without knowing that before Cobi? We found the best thing to do when this happens is to call the vet....and let it go from there.

Does he do this while we are home or gone ------ we are gone. As far as seals on the doors they have taken those out with their claws....but thankfully the door still seals enough to be cold.

They are getting green beans and carrots rather than dog biscuits.....much healthier I agree. The 34 lbs was with a still full tummy, so when we weighed him this AM with an empty tummy, he was back to his 29 lbs...but stlll that meant he ate 5 lbs of food! Whew!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My goodness!
Glad he is on the mend now, that is some predicament.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our other beagle loved opening the fridge and getting into cupboards. We ended up using baby locks on our cupboards and a chair in front of the fridge and it stopped her from going into it. But if the chair wasnt there she was in there when we would leave the house. She was 8 yrs old but she was one smart dog. The baby proof straps and bungy cords didnt work for us. She still managed to get into the fridge but the chair scared her. But you have to put it a certain way so that they dont use it to get on the counter. Dogs are too smart for their own good.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Refrigerator

Angie, I started to smile when I heard about the chair in front of the frig, Cobi our 9 year old would definitely jump up on that and march across the stove the counter where the cereal etc are kept. AND you are completely right, they are too smart for their own good.
The device we ordered works well, I still don't trust it totally so tie the doors shut when we leave....but there are days I think if they are that smart, and work that hard to get it, they deserve something....:hyper:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am glad Cobi is ok!! Its funny...you almost have to admire their determination! Sebastian hasn't figured out the fridge yet (fingers crossed), but he has figured out the cupboard where I kept his food, so now the bag is secured inside a rubbermaid container. I'm sure he's trying to figure out how to open that too! He can also Houdini himself out of just about every room and crate no matter how well they are locked. Amazing. Some people might think beagles are low on the intelligence scale, but I think you have to be pretty smart to have their problem solving skills! :hyper:

·
Registered
1 Posts
New one

cobi i think the idea you suggested at the end of your own thread is better than anyone else . That was buying a new one because when you will go for buying you can select the refrigerator according to your criteria , including your funny problem also :giggle: .:hyper:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts