Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this morning that Grayson's belly is covered with red spots that look like bites or something of that nature. Not sure what it might be...any suggestions? His demeanor hasn't changed at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do the spots have little scabs or white-head type pustules? Charlee had something similar about a month or so ago. Vet said he had an inhalant allergy to grass. However, after I switched his food from crappy Beneful to Nature's Recipe, the spots went away. I'm assuming it was some kind of food allergy. Might want to check with your vet and see.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we're going to go ahead and swap food first. That's probably the cheapest bet right now, considering this is Evan's dog and he can't really afford to take the puppy to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks, though! They have been scratching and sneezing a lot lately, so I figure it's probably an allergy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can give Benadryl for the itching. It does not have to be brand name--you can use a store brand which is usually cheaper. I am not sure of the dose per weight but perhaps somebody can reply with that information.

·
Super Moderator
5,258 Posts
Looks like bug bites - the tummy always gets hit first! I would keep an eye on them and give some Benadryl. Molly is tiny and I give her 1/2 of a Benadryl tablet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That definitely looks like an allergy of some sort. Benedryl will help. We use a generic store brand and it works just as well. If I remember correctly, our vet said to give one 25mg pill per 25 lbs of body weight. Jersey weighs about 40 lbs. and I give her one 25mg pill and it works fine. You may want to get a childs version for Grayson. I would at least give your vets office a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave Grayson a 25mg pill of Benadryl. He took it really well, once I forced him to swallow that nasty pill (even I don't like the taste), and the red spots on his belly are gone now. The only thing left are what look like scabs/bumps in his underarms. I'm guessing that's where he scratched the bumps? We're still considering switching dog food, thanks to the other post....

Wouldn't it be nice if we could know for sure what things are insignificant little mishaps and what are serious problems in our puppies? If only it was as easy as raising another human and knowing that a cut or a bump means nothing...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like we're going to take them to the vet. I noticed Grayson has some bumps under his legs that look like they're filled with fluid. I think he's been scratching them, causing the scabs. They are different from all the red bumps, which are gone. I just hope it's nothing expensive to care for. We'll be going to the vet that the breeder referred us to.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonWouldn't it be nice if we could know for sure what things are insignificant little mishaps and what are serious problems in our puppies? If only it was as easy as raising another human and knowing that a cut or a bump means nothing...
That's so true!

Glad to hear Grayson is doing better!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vet said he probably got into something he was allergic to (a plant of some sort). He was given an anti-histamine shot and some meds. Quinn was given some cream for the bump on her vulva that seems to be going away. We walked away from the vet hospital with a $119 bill for the both of them, including meds.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey at least if she gets another bump you won't have to pay for it again, you will already have it
Are they both feeling better today?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the funny thing - Quinn did get another bump in the same area before I began putting the stuff on. It has gotten a little bigger and looks like one of those filled with fluid like Grayson (an allergy). Hopefully the medication will clear it up....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts