Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor baby Mizu has a super red eye and also has some eye boogies from it. It's already way too late to call my vet so I was wondering has anyone ever given benedryl to their dog ? Not sure if it's an allergy cause of the weather or from something he ate.
His stool is also on the runny side. I did give him a new rawhide bone so would that cause his runny stools ? Of course I am a very worried beagle mama /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
667 Posts
Red eye is not a big deal most of the time. It is mostly viral from a cold and it is very EASY to pass from one person to another, and I would assume it would be the same. Wash your hands or you'll get it too.

It is like a 'cold in the eye'

But, always we treat this with eye drops b/c everyone freaks out about it....so you go get some drops from your vet...IF it is bacterial, then it will help if not, it will get better in a few days on its own.

This is assuming it is pink eye...if not there may be something more serious, in either case, go to the vet to make sure.. or you can post some pics and maybe we can all help out.

oh, and benadryl is ok for the dog...if it is allergy or itchy it will help.

good luck
Amanda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jenny: I do agree with Amanda that this warrants a vet visit. Re the benedryl: Maggie weighs 26 lbs. and I was giving her 25 mg. twice a day. I just bought over the counter (regular human type) at a drugstore. I have now switched to Tavist and she gets 1/2 of a 1.34 mg. tablet twice a day -- it needs to be the plain Tavist (no decongestant, etc.). I got the generic drugstore brand for about $4.00 for 16 tablets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts