Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks: I stumbled upon a novel a few years ago written by Lee Charles Kelley titled <span style="text-decoration: underline">A Nose for Murder</span>. The author is a dog trainer who follows Kevin Behan's natural dog training methods. I not only enjoyed the story in the book but also was quite impressed with the training tips woven into the story. I have since read the author's subsequent novels (one of them called <span style="text-decoration: underline">Murder Unleashed</span> is being reissued as <span style="text-decoration: underline">Beagle Troubles</span>!)and also communicated with him via e-mail about a couple of Maggie's behaviorial issues. Mr. Kelley lives in New York City. His first book is being reissued under a new title, <span style="text-decoration: underline">The Airedale Heiress</span>. Here is the author's website address:

Lee Charles Kelley

and for those who twitter:

Twitter- Lee Charles Kelley

His website has several training tips and also a link to a series of articles he is writing in a blog for <span style="text-decoration: underline">Psychology Today</span>.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Kevin Behan isn't a purely positive dog trainer - although I haven't read Lee Charles Kelley's books to know if he follows Behan's method of training exactly. Behan's methods are not disimilar to what I use with Daisy (drive training) but yeah - he does use corrections and training aids like prong collars (which I don't have a problem with at all, just saying he talks about them in his book).

The drive training I do involves very little in the way of corrections so it is largely positive - I do use a voice marker like no or ah if Daisy gives the wrong behaviour, but as I'm sure Behan mentions in his book, too much correction will decrease or remove drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts