Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Searching forums trying to understand more about my new family member. He's a 3yo beagle that was given up because his family had no time for him.

He's been with me about 2 weeks and I'm a bit worried. He loves the dog park and going for walks but when he's home, he sleeps all day, is very low energy, doesn't seek out affection, doesn't want to play or engage in any manner. He does follow me around and will get upset if I leave the house - to be showered with excitement when I return. He is super gentle overall and very friendly to strangers on walks. He is very leash reactive but gets along GREAT with other dogs. I have so many questions but will start with just saying hello.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Welcome and thank you for giving him a home!

I have always had rescue beagles and I would say it takes a good 6 months before they really settle down into their new environment. They are pack animals and love their families, so I would say he is confused now but learning that you are there for him. My beagles like routine and they are more relaxed when I stick to it the best I can.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Hi
The upside is you missed puppy antics...
I would suggest some obedience training. You should also train commands and talk to your dog a lot using the same words for things you want the dog to respond to. Keep a routine as much as possible. My dog is completely predictable because we do pretty much the same things and she looks to me for responding to her... it will take some time to adjust. As for affection...i think beagles arent so much in showing a lot of affection..they have some independence but are sweet. At least thats my experience with my 8yr old dog ive had since a puppy.
I am amazed how much my dog understands things I say. As an example.. if my dog is walking away from me and I say "here" ...she'll turn to me. If i say go in your crate...she will...
Ask all the questions you have..
Cassie says hi

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It might take awhile for his playful side to come out. I'm trying to remember with Xerxes but I believe it wasn't from the start. Molly's Mom is right, they take a few months to settle in. I would say Xerxes's devilish side really started to come out after 2-3 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. I started with a feeding and walking routine from the start. His last family didn't walk him and now he walks about 5 miles a day, and loves it. I however, am stressed because he is so leash reactive and distracted while on our walks. We are also taking an obedience class and also doing a pack walk with a trainer once a week. I'm hoping he settles in and enjoys the adventurous, yet comfortable life that I'm giving him! Crossing fingers that he'll like to cuddle one day :)

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
5 miles seem like a lot to me.. probably why he sleeps a lot. beagles will pull and whip back and forth on a leash because its all about the nose smelling EVERYTHING. Hope you have a secure yard as beagles will run after a scent thus running away...danger of being injured or stolen.
My dog will sit with me so i dont want you to think that doesnt happen.. heres a lounge picture.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
He sounds like a very lucky boy! Xerxes is leash reactive too. We have taught him a 'quiet' command and step to the side and that's helped a lot. You could also teach him to make eye contact with you until the other dog is past.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think 5 miles is okay...my guys have good stamina, Xerxes has done 25k hikes and been fine. If Cody is fit there's no reason why you can't do that.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Nebs...lol .....you guys practically live in the forrest hiking a lot... my perspective is from one who cant do it. Heehee

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hee hee! We've slacked lately, why Xerxes is a chunky monkey! (Me too!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I think I'm doing all the things that you all are recommending! He seems totally fine with 5 miles - I usually have to drag him back inside the house because he wants to keep going. He has a ton of energy outside. Inside, he sleeps all day and doesn't get excited about anything other than food, not toys or affection or attention. I've read about having him look at me and have been trying to work on it. He's not bonded to me and rarely looks at me. We've worked on it with treats in the house and he's doing...okay. Meaning he looks at me sometimes and is learning that I'll give him a treat for doing so. Outside is a whole different ballgame. He could care less about me or treats when we're walking and will not look or pay attention to me at all.I know his last family didn't pay any attention to him - I think it's what he's used to so I (and probably all of this) must be overwhelming to him 😬

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is how he spends all day every day. Sometimes cuddled by the cat but mostly not. He does wag his tail when she is near and gets along with her and my other cat just fine.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Xerxes isn't super attentive outside without leash pressure either. We have a saying in our house - 'nose on, ears off'. Smells are waaaaayyy to exciting!

Xerxes is bonded indoors though, but it will likely take some time for Cody. Two weeks is still new, Xerxes definitely hadn't fully bonded with us that quickly.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Im a big believer of using a "clicker" which you can get in a petstore. Its a cheap training tool...the sound is a reward in lieu of always giving treats. It works like the Pavlov dog theory.
Here is my clicker... you can watch YouTube videos on how to use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awwww, thank you for taking him in to be part of your family (and letting him sleep in your bed too... I love that). I'm guessing that he just needs time to adjust. Everything is new to him -- your house, you and the rest of the family, your neighborhood, etc... Give him some time. As to the food, are you feeding him the same thing as his previous family fed him? What kind of food is it? And, most importantly: 1. What's your sweet boy's name? 2. We'd love to see a picture or twelve. (I have such a soft spot for beagle boys.)

The picture of mine young boiii

1 - 16 of 16 Posts