Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I posted in another topic about my chicken chasing dog. Well my question this time is really to all you hunters. When a beagle is on a scent and blocks the world out how do you get the dog to come on recall? Chloes recall is great when she is not on a scent or on a chase. She knows what Leave it means, come, wait, and stay. I use wait and stay differantly. Wait is used when we are out on a run and she is to far ahead I yell wait and she does until I say Ok. Stay is stay until I hook you up on the leash or in the house or yard she will stay. I do use a remote collar to bring her back to reality when we run. I don't she is gone. But I don't always have the remote collar on when she escapes from the yard. I let her run on the walks because its abear trying to walk a beagle on a leash.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
When rabbit hunting a rabbit will generally run in a very large circle coming back to where the beagle had picked up the trail.

When hunting I go to where the dog was and wait for the rabbit to come back. When it is time to go I just get on the trail and wait for the rabbit to go by then go there and wait for the dog to come to me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Last weekend we were out at the Field Trials in Norcal. What happens is the dog's handler draws a number which sets the order the beagles will be in at the point a scent is picked up. Then the beagles would bay and gradually follow the scent in a long line. When a dog separates from the pack the handler was told to pull him off. So they would put a lead on the dog and remove them. This would continue one by one until there is one beagle left that is designated as the winner. The dogs NEVER come even remotely close to getting the rabbit. Now maybe it's a different story out in a field by themselves, but not during the tracking.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Trainers I know who want reliability in their dogs around prey items etc (not just hunters) work their dogs using drive training.

Training in drive is teaching the dog how to satisfy its drive by completing a known command. If you have a dog trained in drive, they could give chase to a rabbit and as soon as you yell at a command i.e. DOWN, the dog will drop instantly, even if it is in full prey drive.

I am working with a trainer at the moment to train Daisy using food drive.

I can PM you some TID videos if you want, so you can see what the training looks like?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, That would be great. As I said before she knows a lot of command and I would have to say pretty well trained until she is on a scent or a chase. On a scent I usually can clap my hands to make a sharp noise to break the focus but not on the chicken chase. Althought looking back on it it was pretty funny her chasing those chickens but next time it could be more serous.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do use a remote training collar when we are out on a run. The problem is when she escapes the yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts