Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You all have such wonderful and beautiful pets and I thank you for continuing to share your stories and pictures...i enjoy them so much. It makes me regret my persuing my career goal of becoming a Vet...maybe not too late

·
Registered
55 Posts
Because when you sit them down and stare into their eyes, there's that little twinkle that lets you know that deep down, they know that they have a clear shot at licking your face with a tongue that's been everywhere.

And they're so darn cute.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My husband and I got Roscoe about one month before our wedding (cause we had nothing else going on...heehee). We weren't even that comitted to going home with a dog that day, we were just going to look and try to decide which breed would be right for us. We set out with the intention of getting a large breed. My husband really wanted a boxer and I was leaning toward a mastiff or great dane (we have the room and land for either). So, we went to a man who had a few different AKC breeds available at the time. While talking to the man, my attention kept getting diverted to this one kennel where there was an adorable tri-colored beagle and another cute little white pup. They were so tiny and the beagle was trying his darndest to get my attention. He was barking and literally pushing the white pup out of the way, stepping on him as if to say Get out of my way. Look at me, look at me!. I found this hysterical and asked to see this feisty little beagle. I picked him up, got lots of puppy kisses from this 3 month old ball of energy, and never put him down. Now, I had picked up and played with several other pups before him, on this day and previous days. None tugged at my heartstrings like this little beagle. My husband saw the look in my eyes. He stood there, looking defeated, and said, What should we name him?. Roscoe became one of us!
Why do I love him?
He waits patiently at the window for me from the minute I leave til the minute I get home (so I am told). When I walk in the door he does the butt wag b/c he is so excited to see me. He has to sit on my lap when I am reading, watching tv, or just about anything else. He barks incessantly when I am on the phone. He makes me play ring around the dining room table at least once a day while he carries a sock, a shoe, or anything else he is not supposed to have. He almost pulls me to the ground in hot pursuit of a squirrel that is a mile away when we are on a walk. He prances around his treats and tries to kill them with his paw before he eats them. He stares at me. I love him because he is Roscoe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
After doing some more homework about beagles and learning from Roscoe for about a year, I decided we needed another beagle. We just settled into our new home and Roscoe needed a playmate. I found a wonderful breeder and jumped on the waiting list for a new puppy.
I remember driving home with Cole. He was much younger than Roscoe was when we first got him and oh so tiny! Puppy breath and all he cuddled up under my chin and slept all the way home. As soon as we got into the house we fed him and boy what an experience that was, he dove face first into the bowl and was standing in his food while he was eating it! You would think he never ate before (he still eats like that now only he doesn't stand in the bowl anymore
). Poor Roscoe was afraid of little Cole at first and ran away from him. Cole chased Roscoe around the house and Roscoe just kept looking back with a look of shock on his face.
But eventually, curiosity got the best of Roscoe and they became buds. Cole is like the annoying little brother at times but Roscoe tolerates it and fights back sometimes. Cole is a big little boy and such a mush. He is a howler where Roscoe is a barker. I love Cole because he will cuddle up and nap with me, he eats every rug I put down, he tries to be the boss but doesn't get very far, he learns quickly and listens very well <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">when he wants to</span></span>, he always tries to steal Roscoe's treats, he snorts like a piglet, and approaches all new things with curiosity and enthusiasm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: RosCole
When I walk in the door he does the butt wag b/c he is so excited to see me.
That's it!!! That's why I love my beagles. Because they do the BUTT WAG when they see me. How could I forget the cute little butt wag? It's not the tail...it's the whole butt. lol

·
Registered
959 Posts
I love Cobi and Casie because even though they are the most mischeivious little boys on the face of the earth, they make me laugh, cry and just feel so important in their lives. No matter how upset I am, there are always those little beagle slobbery kisses, and I can't resist. There are the AROOOOOO's that I am so proud of, they are unconditional lovers, and have all but taken my children's place in my life.

How can you help but not to love the beagle.

·
Registered
890 Posts
After we moved into our forst house in 2001 my wife (Glenda) wanted to get a dog. She wanted a little dog and I wanted a bigger one. As we researched various breeds we decided to get a beagle. Glenda started searching the internet and found Cleo at Seattle Beagle Rescue. The next Saturday we made the 2 hour drive up to Renton to look at Cleo and we fell in love at first site. She was the loving and sweetest dog that we had ever known. After about a year Cleo was at the vet when Glenda mentioned that she wanted to get a companion for Cleo. Well our vet knew of a beagle that needed a new home. It was Tucker. When Tucker was a puppy he had a serious medical condition that required surgery. His owners couldn't pay for it so our vet took him in and did the surgery from donations. So Tucker spend the first several months of his life at the vets office. (He gets along with our vet extremely well) He was then adopted out and after a year they couldn't handle him anymore. So we took him when he was about 16 month old. I will admit that Glenda wanted to send him back several times that first month, but we didn't and now we would never part with him. He has settled down a lot in the last several years.

When we are able to sell our house and can get settled in Utah we are planning to get another beagle. Hopefully that will happen shortly.

I will try to post some current pictures when I can get back to my home computer. I am going home for a few days in two weeks. I also need to scan some of Cleo's pictures. She was pre digital era for us.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hunter is my first beagle she will be 6 and Casey came after she will be 3. When we got Hunter she filled a hole I never knew I had and I could not imagine ever being without a dog ever again. Casey completed our family and now, they are my everything. I love their spirit, loyalty and even their troublemaking ways.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Off topic but I can't find the answer to it.
What do the paws below your user name & above your avatar represent?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I met my first Beagle a couple years ago and when she bayed I thought I'm getting a Beagle. We got him from an animal shelter and the poor little thing was covered in at least a hundred ticks, tons of fleas, he had round worms and yeast infections. Aside from the medical issues he was only 7 weeks old and going to the bathroom all over the house. At the end of the day we put him in his crate and he cried and howled for hours. I remember laying in bed with my husband thinking maybe we weren't ready for a dog... Haha

Of course, it didn't take him very long to change our minds. We soon realized that he was the most snuggly dog ever... he loves to sit in your lap to chew his bones or cuddle up on you to sleep, he convinced us to let him sleep in the bed where he snuggled all night long. It's been 6 months now and he's turning into a wonderful little dog. Still loves to snuggle, is finally potty trained (only 1 accident so far this month!!!!), and his obedience classes are really paying off. We don't have any kids and he is definitely the baby. I really didn't know that I would fall in love with him the way that I have. I think that if I had to pick one reason why I love my beagle it would be because he's so snuggly

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
I love all the stories and photos!

I adopted Molly from a shelter just about a year ago. I love the fact that she can love and trust me so much, even though she had been treated badly before we got her. I love her silly wiggle across the floor on her tummy, the tilt of her head when she hears an odd sound, the way she follows her daddy around the house and I love that as tiny as she is, she thinks she can protect our family!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ohhh wow! This thread got 5 paws! That's pretty cool...don't know what it means, lol. But, I am guessing that it's cool
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My first beagle, Duce, is the apple of my eye. I love everything about him and he always makes me feel like I'm so special. We rescued him from the pound on the day he was to be euthanized, and I swear he knows it. I didn't know anything about beagles when we went there for a dog and he was the only dog that just sat there wagging his tail at me, never barking or saying a word...almost like I promise I'll be a great dog...just give me a chance!

Brandy is my recent rescue...she's been a little harder to get so close to because she's extremely independent. Plus, she's so in love with our cat that she spends nearly every day following him around and staring at him for hours on end. I never saw a dog so infatuated with a cat before.

My favorite time of the day is at night when they are both sleeping...I love to look over at them all curled up in little balls and looking as if they don't have a care in the world. Which they never will as long as they're with us.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Re: Reasons why we love our beagles...share them h

I love Booker because she is so self confident and sure of herself - when we go for walks she know exactly where she wants to go (and gets really stubborn if we don't agree) and she is happy to meet every person she passes on her way through life with a big tail wag. I love how she sits at the corner of the dog park and greets every dog that arrives with a hearty bay as if to say welcome to MY park. I love the sheer joy on her face when she rolls on her back in the grass. I love the fact that even at 12 she is starting to learn to play with Buzz. I love that she is the most independent and least cuddly of our beagles - but that just makes it extra special when she does want a cuddle or a rub. I love that she howls along with us when we sing Happy Birthday. I love that she knows how to get under blankets and duvets all by herself without any human assistance.

I love Moosie because almost nothing phases him - he isn't one to harbour deep thoughts, but as a result he goes through life without baggage and just happy to take every day as it comes... but hopefully without any fire alarms or smoke detector beeping or dental floss. I love how his zest for life is extra special given how horrible his existence seems to have been before he was rescued. I love that he is absolutely fine with being the bottom dog in the household who is always being kicked out of wherever he is sleeping by one of the others, and he tolerates Buzz's incessant leg biting without ever getting annoyed. I love how he smells like Captain Crunch when he is warm, and how he likes to curl up above my head on the pillow against the headboard when we are both sleeping. I love how much he loves his squirrel toys - and will ask me to get them for him and then play with them for hours... holding the squirrels between his paws and licking their bellies before dismembering them, and taking them with him on walks. I love how happy he is when he finds a perfect stick to carry. I loved how handsome his brown face used to be - and how distinguished his grey face is becoming.

I love Popcorn because she needs us so much to help her exist in this world that clearly terrifies her. I love her when she is too scared in the morning to go out the door and just sits and shakes - and I also love her when she has a good day and goes out the door with her tail (almost) up in the air. I love that her head is many sizes too small for her body. I love her freckles and how she stares at us with her big brown eyes. I love it when she forgets herself and goes puppy for a little bit - racing around the apartment. I love the special squeaking noise she makes only for two of our friends and my brother - her boyfriends. I love when she goes under the covers to the foot of the bed and licks my feet. I love how she digs at the covers to be asked to go underneath. I love how she tickles my face with her whiskers when she needs to go outside in the middle of the night.

I love Buzz when I look into his huge brown eyes and see trust starting to come through when he looks back at us. I love how he curls up into a tiny little ball and squeezes between the pillows on the bed (his safe place starting from the very first night he came home with us). I love how he incessantly bites at Moosie's back leg. I love how he completely changes how he plays in order to engage Booker in play - the only dog who has ever been able to do that. I love that his tail is starting to be held high when we are out on walks instead of being tucked tight between his legs. I love that he will pick up pieces of litter and carry them proudly like treasures when out on walks. I love the look of sorry in his eyes after he has eaten (another) duvet. I love how he sits pretty on his hind legs when waiting for his cookie. I love how he wags his tail whenever he sees another dog. I love how beautiful he is - it takes my breath away.

I love them all so much and can't imagine how empty my life must have been before they came into it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Bazel and our late Merlin have brought us heaps of love and heaps of laughs. Bazel as an 11 year old dog still has his naughty moments and makes us and our children laugh. I love his gorgeous eyes and the way he looks at you letting you know he wants something. I love the way he is so loyal and follows me around the place. I love the way he likes his belly rubbed and will put his paw up when you stop. I even put up with him stealing out ear plugs [ yuck]. I love his soft fur and his floppy ears. I love that he has lots of character and there has never been a dull moment .

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jazz did not actually start off as my dog. My sister got her as a puppy in '06 as a Mother's Day gift for our Mom. Shortly after this time I was recovering from surgery for which my Mom insisted that I come stay with her since I lived alone. Needlesss to say, Jazz and I took to each other very well. When I was done recovering I went back to my normal life but Jazz was still a part of it, often coming to stay with me at my place and still going on trips with me to the middle of nowhere, the dog park, or around town.

How did I end up with her? Inadvertently sums it up best. In '07 my Mom ended up moving where it was impossible for her to take Jazz (and her cats). My sister got the cats (to compliment her dogs) and I got Jazz. The joke in our family is that Jazz was the best Mother's Day gift my sister ever got me. As funny as it may sound, I think it was meant to be and I can't imagine what life would be like without her.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts

I love Snoopy because she saved us and we saved her...literally.

In May 2005 we had to make the very difficult decision to put our cocker spaniel Copper to sleep after he lost his battle with kidney failure. We tried everything to save him. It was a very difficult time for all of us. The emptiness in our house was unbearable!! I immediately went on a search knowing I wanted a beagle. With my husband still not quite ready for another dog, I found a family in Philadelphia that was moving and had to get rid of their dog...

Memorial Day 2005 we drove to Philly, pulled in front of the address we had been given and there was Snoopy chained to the front porch of a run-down rowhome. I told my husband before even getting out of the truck that she was coming home with us. She was scared, lonely and very uncertain. It was very apparent that she spent much of her time confined. This was no place for a beagle!

Needless to say we brought her home. We worked with her to bring out her personality (which I might add is ALL beagle). All this time she has no idea that she was the perfect medication to help us heal from our loss.

I could go on and on about her. But I won't. Once you own a beagle you are addicted. This is an addiction I will never try to cure!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Wow, reading all these stories gives me warm fuzzy feelings. It's amazing and awesome just how much we all love our fur babies.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts