Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a topic on the reasons why we love our beagles. It also gives the opportunity for newbies (like myself) to learn about other BW members & their beloved beagles.

My Beagle's History:
I got CoCo on Christmas Day in 2005 after someone stole my Jack Rusell. He was the first from his pack to come over to me and lick my face and I knew then he was the one for me and that I was in for it

A CoCo story:
Little did I know that beagles were little trouble makers. After having him for over a year, I would take him to my neighborhood dog park & hang out with the other dogs. One day I took him and left him off his leash to run around and be a spaz with the other dogs. I then realized he had run off to a family near by that was BBQ'ing and ate their steak right off their table. I was so embarrassed & offered to buy them another. They laughed it off and said it was okay. All the said was, Wow, looks like you are going to have your hands full with this little guy
Till this day, I always remember that story and realize why I love him. It's for his mischievous ways

What's your story? Share them here along with their mug shot

And that's him below...I promise to post other pix from my other computer

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl is a rescue. We adopted her July 22, 2000, when she was a year to 18 months old. There was no history on her, so we know nothing of how she came to be homeless. She seems to be unlike most beagles in that she doesn't get into much mischief. However, we have to watch the cat's food closely, and I learned not to leave meat on the table if it's within her reach.

I often say that a chunk of coal turned into a genuine diamond because she was pretty scraggly when we got her.
She's definitely the apple of my eye. Here she is.

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You mean apart from the fact they are beautiful, cute and a handful?
I love Chloe because of all that and those little things you mentioned. They are little devils, but most of all they are practically human (and I know it's not right to humanize them) but they just are.

Here is one of Chloe's pictues (my current desktop):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's another of the many things that I love...the way they roll up and sleep with their big floppy ears covering their face

Beautiful dogs!

·
Registered
114 Posts
We went to buy a new lead and collar for my cocker Jesie and walked out of the store with Jodie (JoJo). She's actually a beagle x cocker and I just adore her. I love her because she gives me cuddles and kisses 24/7. She sleeps in between me & OH every night on the bed and when I'm sat down she's always on my lap.

I totally baby her which is bad but at least she still knows her manners. She has a few issue's like seperation anxiety and is fearful of other dogs and people but is getting better each day. She will now go and have a sniff at other doggies while we are at dog club.

So in short I love her because she is who she is. My spoilt little girl with issue's!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This could be a long message because I have 4 furry friends.

Samuel Beagador: About 5.5 year ago, I went to many animal shelters and the humane society over a period of a few months searching for a new family member. We thought about a Labrador, but we weren't being too picky. The shelter closest to my home ended up having 2 almost identical black lab mixed puppies. I took them both in the Get Acquainted room and before I knew it the smallest of the two came up to me with this look in his eyes that I couldn't resist. My puppy chose me!

The relationship between Sam and I is hard to explain. It's like we get each other. Kindred spirits I suppose. He could be considered a therapy dog for me also as he alerts all of us when I am about to have a mood shift. (I'm bi-polar)

Sam is 5 years old now. He is a phenomenal soccer dog. He loves frisbee, fetch, and being with his people. He sleeps between mom & dad with his head on a pillow and is under the covers.

We can't be certain what Sam is mixed with. We determined based on his size and some of his characteristics that he was mixed with Beagle. Since he is so awesome we knew we liked the Beagle temperament and along came Maya.

Maya is a 2 year old AKC Beagle. We purchased her from a breeder in Idaho. I did it without my husband's knowledge but it wasn't long and he was in love. She was a little hyper, but after she had a litter of pups she really settled down and became a great little gal. She has gained people status now which is what we say when the dogs are allowed free run of the house. Oh and she sleeps with mom and dad also. She is absolutely gorgeous and is a fantastic mommy.

Now there was a beautiful little lady...we needed a husband for her. Along came Little Man Tate (also AKC Beagle). This Beagle is the most submissive dog I have ever met. In one swift continuous motion he comes running to you and flops at your feet so he can have a belly rub. He never stops to lay down - its a flip to the back in mid run. lol Tate is so mellow and laid back. Except for his chewing and digging I would never have known he was a beagle. Tate has not gained people status yet. Partially because he is a young Beagle still and I have too many things that remind him of things to de-stuff. The other reason is that he sleeps more than the rest of the pack so he likes to be in his crate away from them.

And the latest addition...Sulli. Sulli came as a result of me being a member on this forum. I've seen some awesome photos of Lemon or Duo-colored Beagles and decided I had to have one. lol Sulli is still learning house manners, potty training and to be a more confident dog so other than saying she is a petite little princess I don't have a lot of reasons to list why I love her yet. I love her look and the fact that she is so petite. I'm sure when we can trust her more...I will have many more reasons to love her. She is also still in a crate at night due to not being house broken yet.

These four hold all the strings to my heart.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Reasons why we love our beagles...share them h

My two beagles are my first dogs, so I have no other comparison. But I'd have to say that one of the favorite things is how much they love to cuddle. Someone told me recently that beagles normally aren't lap dogs or cuddly dogs, but ours are. Ruby is in my lap every night while I watch TV. It's funny because half the time I don't even notice her getting into my lap anymore. I just look down, and she's there. She gets this innocent, I feel protected 'cause I'm with my daddy look to her face. Of course the whole cuddle thing can change in an instant if she hears a strange noise outside! Then it's off my lap to the glass door at lightning speed! A bark or two, then she comes back to me. She also like to gnaw on her Nylabones in my lap. It's a bit uncomfortable to me, but she finds some kind of comfort in it.

Bailey is on Ernie's lap or belly every night. He's the gentler one, and just loves getting love. It's not hard for him to get it with those big eyes and droopy ears. He has what we call permanent sad ears. That are almost always folded back from his face. They look like Ruby's ears when she sees us when we get home, and she's anxious to get out of the gated kitchen to give us love. But Bailey's ears are like that most of the time. It melts anyone who sees him.

We've only had our beagles for about 9 months. I would have never thought a year ago I'd become such a dog person. We jokingly now call them the kids. But they sort of are to us.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I have had dogs all my life, and loved them all. But I've never before had a beagle, or hound of any kind. During the past 12 and a half years I have shared my life with Miss Shiloh, I have fallen in love with the breed. Beagles are so friendly and happy, and their good nature is contagious. After all you can't say beagle without smiling!!
I've never had a dog who I felt loved me as much as Shiloh does, and that feeling is certainly returned. For however much longer I have her, she will have me wrapped around her little paw!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I got Daisy in January of 2008 not too long after my Mini Dachshund Ben passed away. The house was to quiet without him, and I knew that I wanted another dog. I guess I was hoping that another dog would help heal the hurt. I still miss him and probably always will, but she sure has helped. She is such a little trouble maker sometimes, but she looks at me with those Beagle eyes and my anger melts away. She really has my number, LOL! She isn't much of a cuddler and never wants to sit with me, but she really stole my heart one night when I was upset and she jumped up in my lap, licked my face, and cuddled up next to me.

Then, of course, there's Max. Even with Daisy, I still missed my weiner dog. He's my cuddler. He's always up for cuddling anytime and anywhere. The two of them are best buddies and I am so happy that I got him even if it does get crazy around here sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DaisysMom, I am sorry for your loss...however I am sure that your little Ben is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge along with my cocker spaniel Peewee that I had years ago.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry is my angel, my wonderdog. I adopted him in September of 2007 at a year of age from a local shelter, and it was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. He caught my eye and looked at me so hopefully I had to stop and take him out. When we got to the room, I sat down and he wagged his tail, came over to me, and laid his head in my lap. The look on his face was total adoration. He has been my shadow ever since. He is the kindest, sweetest, most fun dog I have ever known. He's never met a stranger and loves to go places with me. He can play rough with my boyfriend and our buddies, then turn around and lay at a child's feet. He truly lives to please and has brought so much joy back into our lives after the loss of two family dogs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to all for sharing your stories &
I LOVE hearing about other peoples pets...I guess it's just the animal lover in me that enjoys it so much...now I understand when people talk about their children...well for me my CoCo is my child
Here's another pix of my baby being bad...

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
I love that all brown face!! Reminds me of Henry...he's actually a beagle/german shepherd mix. I put some new pics of him up, I couldn't figure out how to post his mugs on an already started topic...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My boyfriend and I got our loving, dependent, obedient Spock when he was a headstrong 3-month-old, just as we moved into our new house, and he was the sole apple of our eye for 5 months. As sweet and doting as he was, and as much as we spoiled him when we were home, he was alone while we were at work, so he suffered separation anxiety, which worried us. One day, I came home to find my boyfriend with a second beagle sitting in his lap and introduced her as Bones.

She and Spock hit it off right away, and it has been such a joy to see their bond grow closer, see the way they affect one another and bring out in my boyfriend and me the different degrees of love, patience, and quick thinking it takes to handle them with care.

Spock is sympathetic and kind of a sad clown. He listens to me most of the time and almost understands English, knows a lot of tricks, and is not afraid to play a little rough. He also defends me against the hair dryer and leaf blower
His pouting is adorable and hilarious - my boyfriend and I still crack up thinking about an incident where the dogs were on the couch together, my boyfriend and I paid attention to his sister, he sighed really loudly and left the room, and then we heard the bedroom door shut behind him as he went into the bedroom. Our sweet little emo dog!

Bones is anxious and took a very long time to house train, but on top of being the most gorgeous little dog ever, she's also very joyful. As much as I cringe for the noise the neighbors might not like, or worry that she's doing it out of anxiety, I do love to hear her voice pealing in the back yard. I also love it when she wants to get up in my lap as I sit at the computer, when she makes a gurgling sound like a Wookie, and when she licks my face.

I love walking them together (when they're behaving) with the leash coupler and their matching harnesses. They're great cuddlers both individually and as a team. And there's no better end to a trip than coming home to ecstatic beagles.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx Henry's Mom and I can see that he does look like your Henry
I have never seen a beagle like mine before. The breeder I got him from stated that he was a full breed and even had a twin brother that I saw when I picked him up but he is rare. People often mistake him for a Bloodhound
haha

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can I say why I love my cocker aswell?

My cocker is the dog i always wanted. We had had cockers early on in my childhood and I always wanted one when I had my own house. I looked for months until I found my girl. She is totally intune with me just like BeagleTails, Samual. She can tell when I'm sick or even have a bruise. She is no were near as affectionate as Jodie but she follows me everywhere. She sleeps under the bed and at 3am each morning comes up onto the bed and we spoon until 4am when I have to get up.

Jesie is the love of my life and Jodie is my sweetheart. I love them both as much as each other but for different reasons.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well I purchased Gunnar back in 1998. He was my first dog as an adult(i had just moved in with my hubby)and the first Beagle that I had ever seen. I went to the Lady's house to see the pups and he was the first to come over to me and stand up on my legs..at that moment I said I'll take this one and handed over the $80, he has been my bubba boy for 11 yrs now. When the day comes that he is no longer here I think it will be more than I can handle. He is what started my love for Beagle's and he's loved by all our friends regardless of their breed choice.

Daisy girl...well we bought her in 2004. She's an AKC. Our house was being built and we were ready for another dog so we figured we would get one and work on potty training before our house was done and so we did. She is only affectionate with me likes to hang by herself and totally thinks she's in charge! She's stubborn and can be mean but she's so pretty and I guess I just get her. Gunnar used to be my shadow but she has taken over the job. She loves to lay in the sun and just sit outside and sniff the air.
I guess I fell in love with her even more after she had her litter of puppies we just sort of bonded after that.

I would post pics but I can't get them sized down. I'm still learning.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No worries Beagle Mom, I am learning how ro resize the pictures too. hehe. Hence why I keep posting them here to see if I am hopefully doing it correctly it

1 - 20 of 58 Posts