Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new dog Toopy is a beautiful, friendly dog. My problem is just that he is a little rough when he wants to play. I don't mind at all when he tries to play with myself or my husband, but he jumps and tugs at my 3 year old the same way. I understand that he is still acting like a happy puppy, but I have to get him used to the fact that he just can't play that way with my son.
If anyone has any advice on getting the 2 used to each other I would truly appreciate it.
I am currently taking the dog for a good run and playing with him when he is full of energy, then confining him to the kitchen with baby gstes until he calms down. Then when he is calm I let him out to rest in the same area as the whole family. It works a bit, but he still gets bursts of energy that sometimes get him jumping at my son. He hasn't hurt my son (Logan) but logan IS becoming slightly nervous of the dog. I really want to fix this before one is afraid of the other beyond repair.
Thank you again

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You need to correct him. I would try this:
Whenever he is being good (no matter the situation) praise him. When he's not and acting rough with the kid/s AND you and your husband (they have a hard time differentiating so you better just stick to it) correct him and take him away from the play. After a few times he should get the message that when he plays rough he is put away.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
when you know your son is going to be in the room put the puppy on a leash a loose leash and let it drag on the floor let him play by himself sit on the couch have ur spouse let you son in the room if the dig goes to jump give a firm NO, and a tug on the leash, he'll learn thats bad behavor, also ignore for a bit after he does it. the WORST punishment u can give a puppy is ignoring it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thank you VERY much. I hadn't thought of that. I truly appreciate both of your prompt advice. Is it true that a beagle is considered a puppy until the age of 2? My guy is a year and a half - just curious.
Again thanks for the help

·
Registered
786 Posts
Also keep the leash on when you son plays on the floor. The pup is seeing him as a playmate and can get rough (like he would in a pack). Also if the pup does try to nip or scratch, tell your son to yell ouch loud and turn his back on the pup. They hate to be ignored.

I would say they atleast act like puppies for longer, but they do mellow after 2.

Welcome!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Assuming he's a puppy... you've got to give him a lot of leeway. Not playing rough with your child is not going to stop from any one correction. But rather your overall approach. Have you gone through a puppy training class with him? If not, enroll in one.

Teaching him Off and Leave It will probably be the first two commands most relative to getting him to obey. You will also need to use redirection with him as well. As an example, he goes to play with your child get a dog toy and start playing with him and the dog toy. He'll leave the child alone during this time.

From my experience, if Bodie gets say 5 minutes of interaction through pets and play he will respond much better when you're ready to stop playing. But you have to give him that time first. Otherwise he's going to pester you until he gets his attention. So always keep that in mind when coordinating your time with the dog and your child.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.
I don't know that Toopy is still considered a puppy at a year and a half, but he certainly does play like one. He has been to puppy obedience classes, just not with me. He is great when a treat is involved to sit give paw lay down and stay.
I am enrolled in the next obedience class that is coming up at my vet clinic, but it isn't for another month.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Great advice so far, the only thing I'd like to add (or reitereate) is the consistency and patience thing. And I think enrolling in another obedience class is a great idea. I happen to have a very immature one year old beagle, and we are in the process of repeating her obedience class also, as she didn't do well the first time around. It's also true that many beagles don't grow out of that puppy stage/behavior until they reach a couple of years old. Hence the patience and consistency! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: Robyn
I don't know that Toopy is still considered a puppy at a year and a half, but he certainly does play like one.
Roscoe is a 1 year 9 months and it was at the year and a half mark that we STARTED seeing significant changes in his behavior. For the most part now he is wonderful, obedient (most of the time) and hasn't gotten into any real trouble in quite a long time (knock on wood, I just jinxed myself...heehee). Now we just have to get Cole to follow his lead, but quite honestly, Cole isn't as bad as Roscoe was, unless we are just getting used to the beagle way and stuff doesn't bother us as much...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!
Today is actually going a little smoother with our play time. I am adjusting my behavior, and Toopy is doing great. He had a great run 6am, before my son woke up, and a good half hour of play. Then when my son was up, I used the suggestion of leaving his leash on to be dragged behind him, I corrected him twice for rough play and jumping up on Logan (my son), but things have been good since. You guys are right about consistency, and I will do everything I can to help Toopy, because I think its only fair to him.
Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts