Our Beagle World Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
1,158 Posts
My Charlie does not come with any baggage. I got him from a breeder 14 weeks old. But he is very timid and shy of a lots of things. Some how I think it is the breed.
We love Charlie very very much, never hit or abuse of any kind. Daddy loves him so much, so he shouldn't be afraid of men. But tiny things like fallen leaves, fallen piece of paper, the wind blowing the tree and bushes, spook him.
If I pet him from behind and he didn't see it coming, he'll jump. He is afraid of trucks, our house is a corner house and cars and big UPS FEDEX trucks zoom by. But, he managed to turn fear to rage. He tries to tough it up, barks at mail man, UPS and FEDEX man. I know he is afraid of them, they never lay a hand on him. UPS man even handed him a treat one time. So, Molly will do fine. Try encouraging her every time she is afraid. I keep reassuring Charlie things are find and OK whenever he is afraid. That seems to help a lot. Molly is beautiful!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have tried my best to use the advice given to me here and already I'm noticing a big difference, after spending hours with her on the floor, taking her running with me and for walks, feeding her myself, trying to play ball in the yard etc. she is actually not nearly as spooked when I get up. Once after I got up she actually just stood there while I passed.

My wife the other day got the Cesar Milan book (not sure if that's a good thing) but one of the things he recommends not to do is make direct eye contact with a scared dog. That seemed to help quite a bit as before I'd would be looking at her to make sure I didn't step on her.

One other thing I would like to ask, what is they best way to trim a beagles nails? The breeder used a dremel however when we try to use that or the pedi-paws she seems very scared. Also if we use the regular clippers were afraid that her nails will be sharp afterwords and cut our leather sofas.

Thanks for all the advice and kinds words!

· Premium Member
1,158 Posts
When feeding her, try scooping the kibbles out with your hand, your scent is on the kibbles. Tips from a trainer.
There always be something that they are afraid of. Charlie is afraid of pedi-paws too, but too bad, he needs to have his nails trim. He is afraid of cleaning his ears, yes, he needs too. He does not like going to the vet, but routine check yes he must.
Just give him lots of praise and treats afterwards. But you know it is good that they have something or someone that they are shy of so they won't get too dominent or out of control. That's my thoughts. Charlie listen to me, to my command. It helps a lot when I walk him. Keep reassuring Molly that she is fine, praise her. I sometimes hug and kiss Charlie when he is feeling timid. they truely understand.

· Banned
2,994 Posts
Until she has full confidence in you, its best to let unpleasant things, like nail clipping, be done by the vet.
Yes, Cesar Milan is very good, we have two of his books and some videos.

· Registered
105 Posts
She sounds a lot like my foster, Bailey. We've had him for over 4 months, and are still getting used to what scares him. He'll give us that flat, legs and arms out, belly to the ground pose and will slink away to one of his sanctuaries when he gets scared. To make it worse, he easily loses control of his bladder, too. At least you don't have that issue!

Sometimes he'll just get scared of me for no reason. Just yesterday he was laying on the couch, and I walked over to him to pet him. He flipped on his back and started making a fountain.
I've learned when this happens to just walk away from him, to give him time too calm down. If I try to force him off the sofa, he'll pee more from the increasing fear of me moving him. That all said, he has gotten better with this over time. He just has his bad days. We'll get on the floor with him and give him lots of love. So that method discussed earlier works for us, too. And time heals too. We're thinking he's had a bad past, but I think some dogs are just born skiddish sometimes. Bailey is the gentlest beagle I've ever seen. I really do think that he may have partially been just born this way.

· Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Meg. I had posted that she was scared of certain rooms in our house last month just before Christmas. It lasted for maybe two or three weeks, then she just snapped out of it. I still cant say for sure what happened, but she's fine now. We pretty much locked her in one of the rooms and played with her; made it a happy place again. She loves to hide under our computer tables in the office. I think maybe she was going through a phase or remembered something unpleasant that had happened to her. You cant fix everything, but just playing with them, they forget what they were afraid of. Gotta keep them happy and playful! I guess :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.