Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, am new to this forum and am hoping to receive some desperately needed help for a very timid/scared lemon beagle. My wife and I recently brought home a purebred lemon beagle (just under a year old) and we were told by the breeder that she was very timid. She is great around kids and most adults always trotting around with her tail wagging however when I or someone else who is tall gets near he she basically runs for her life (I'm 6'3 230 BTW). When I'm on the couch she will just up and basically lye on my lap, it's just when I stand up she becomes terrified. She is crate trained and is left in the crate at night which doesn't seem to bother her a bit, however when I wake up in the morning to let her outside (wife is still in bed) she basically runs into the corner or another room and will not go outside. I have been around big GSD's and labs all my life so this kind of behavior is something I do not know how to deal with. Is there any way of stopping this behavior?

Thanks in advance for any info!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info everyone, will give her some time and hopefully she comes around. She is really a great dog, doesn't growl/bark at anyone, never goes to the bathroom in the house and we never hear a peep from her at night. If she gets over this little hurtle I believe We'll have the perfect dog.

Quote:Oh, and the most important questions...what's her name and do you have any pictures? We love pictures!
LOL....Yeah I have some pics however they're not that great. BTW here name is Molly.

Christmas day
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/nisquallyvalley/DSC02021.jpg

Here favorite spot, on top of the couch cushions.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/nisquallyvalley/DSC02073.jpg

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have tried my best to use the advice given to me here and already I'm noticing a big difference, after spending hours with her on the floor, taking her running with me and for walks, feeding her myself, trying to play ball in the yard etc. she is actually not nearly as spooked when I get up. Once after I got up she actually just stood there while I passed.

My wife the other day got the Cesar Milan book (not sure if that's a good thing) but one of the things he recommends not to do is make direct eye contact with a scared dog. That seemed to help quite a bit as before I'd would be looking at her to make sure I didn't step on her.

One other thing I would like to ask, what is they best way to trim a beagles nails? The breeder used a dremel however when we try to use that or the pedi-paws she seems very scared. Also if we use the regular clippers were afraid that her nails will be sharp afterwords and cut our leather sofas.

Thanks for all the advice and kinds words!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.