Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all know how this story starts... you're walking your beloved beagle down the street and all of sudden he gets a whiff of something, puts the brakes on and your shoulder is yanked out of it's socket. Right around the time you pop it back into place you start to hear what's about to come next; full on Beagling!

Last week during one of our walks Bodie got the scent of a dog maybe half a mile ahead of us. And when he did he made it very clear to myself, the neighborhood and quite possibly the tri-county area he was on a scent. And because beagling is so different than barking, to the layman it sounds like he's hurt or being abused. Neighbors are looking out their windows, pedestrians are staring, cars stopping, neighborhood dogs barking, all from this little dog's vocal cords. And of course I could see this woman and her dog looking back at me with this horrified look on her face like I was beating my dog. I thought someone was going to call CPS, I mean DPS (Dog Protective Services) on me. I couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it all.

I find it intriguing to what's going under those big floppy ears that turns his world upside down. How can a Beagle get so locked in on something and turnoff everything else around him. All you can do is change course to get off the scent or continue down Perp Lane as the abuse ensues.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
As I've mentioned before, Maggie is an incessant barker, but she's also got the beagling thing down too. She does it everytime the cat comes out of hiding, and almost everytime she's out on a walk. And OMG...it DOES sound like they're being hurt or abused! Does Bodie stop if you tell him to? We have yet to curb Maggies barking and beagling...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh boy, do I know that look of horror! To those who don't know that beagle voice, it does sound like you are beating the cr*p out of them! I've also had people open their doors and ask Is your dog ok?!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey only does that when we leave her home alone. Needless to say, living in an apartment, we don't leave her home alone.

Today at the pet shop there was a Puggle puppy. He was still just a baby, puppy breath and sharp teeth. He wanted to play with Jersey and she was ignoring him. He threw his head back and started baying. It was the cutest thing I've ever seen. He'll be Beagling in no time.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Can you imagine what it sounds like with two of them at it? Susi and Snoopy start the moment they are outside our gate. Locals know them but other walkers stare in amazement as two screaming beagles come towards them.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've often thought if I could take some of that single-minded stubborness to one thought and give some of it to my students, well, they'd all be scholars. I don't know how these little animals do it...but once they get a thought in their heads, it's hard to deter them.

Cathy J

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You told your (and our) story just perfectly! My Maggie does not beagle outside in terms of baying but get her inside the vet's waiting room and soon everyone is giving me dirty looks. The vet's staff all know who is there without even looking!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you love the sound of beagling - then you should come to MY house when the tenpack starts! It's a sound only a beagler loves - and everyone else hates!

At the moment Miss Bella is in heat - so her dad spends a great deal of time crated to keep him away from her - so he bays mournfully - which, of course, starts the rest of them singing! His particular sound does sound pretty pathetic. Poor little man.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Yes, yes, Beagling is the word. At one time this young girl came up to me with her cell phone on hand getting ready to call the Protective Services. She said what is wrong with your dog, thinking I was torturing him. My neighbor thought so too. People rolled down their car windows and gawk or give me a dirty look.
Hey now, I'm used to it I must say. Charlie pulls and arrrooo with me trailing along like a mad woman, than I'll would say out loud, here comes Charlie!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Its so funny because it is so Beagle.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I find instincts and drives really interesting. If you learn a bit about prey drive particularly, you can actually learn see the signs of a dog going into drive - with beagles, scenting is part of prey drive, and that drive is an adrenalin fueled behaviour that, once the dog is in 'drive' (so for a beagle, once it starts scenting) it gets a release of endorphins in its brain which makes the act of scenting immediately rewarding. Its an instinct that has been built into the dogs for centuries, I can only imagine how strong the urge to scent is for a beagle!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like you're telling our story

Charlie is now famous in our neighbourhood so people don't come out anymore. But when he first started doing that people really came out and ask what I did to him.

Charlie also makes the most incredible noises when he's happy as we come home

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have gotten my share of oh my god, what is that looks also. We are pretty sure Megan was a field or hunting dog before we adopted her. We go out the door and Megan is always the first to get a scent. I hear one little buff which I think translates to, Wow, smell that. Then I get two longer and louder buff, buffs meaning, Hey, this is the good stuff. Then the head goes back and she goes into full voice. By then Austin and Shasta have decided that Megan is really on to something and join in on the melody. By this point it is like three point harmony in beagle-speak. Translating to OMG, OMG, OMG, this is the best ever, ever, lets go, go, go, no, over here, no hear, quick, quick quick! Meanwhile the three leashes have braided into one tangled mess and it is me on one end the beagles on the other over hill and dale, at full voice and steam. Sometimes I feel as if I have a dowsing or divining rod on the other end as we go to and fro in search of the best, most recent and finest scent that can be had by those superb beagle noses!

·
Registered
889 Posts
oh wow, that's so funny! Jason and I are visiting our families right now and decided to take all the dogs for a walk. My parents have two labs and of course we have the two beagles. There is a park attached to my parent's neighborhood so we left the house and headed out walking that way. We got almost to the park when Rocky decided he had to bark at someone's manger scene. I think he thought the plastic donkey was real. Anyway, he went NUTS howling and baying. A few seconds later this guy comes out of his house and starts asking if everything is ok because he thought a dog got hit by a car and was hurt. Beagles are crazy!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts