Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted some lily bulbs this morning, left Charlie in the yard to play, went out for errands. Came back 2 of my wonderful bulbs were out, Charlie chewed off the sprouts! :angryfire: Spank his butt, I gotten too angry!!! :animal18:
I just so love lily that I have to risk the chance from Charlie, but I guess I lost. :smack: I should have known better. But I still have 10 more bulbs, what should I do? That little devil, I guess I'll leave the yard as bare as it is for this year. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Charlie mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Charlie /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Digging is natural and fun for beagles. Last Saturday Bagel and I went off to an off-road motorcycle event. I parked my van next to a side hill covered with critter holes. I was too busy for severel hours recording numbers and passing times on the radio and the Bagel contented himself excavating.

I guess what I'm saying is if you don't want Charlie to chew on something, you don't get mad, you offer an appropriate alternative. Do the same with digging. Bury a Kong with something tasty in it, or a toy, in an approproate digging place in the backyard. Charlie will soon learn that the bulb garden is not for digging but his sandbox/corner of yard/whatever is allowed abd encouraged.

Bagel and I are on Charlie's side. Digging is fun and the resulting tired happy beagle is your reward.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know the frustrations with trying to plant flowers and them being dug up.

Be sure to research what you plant, b/c after I got Bailey, I realized everything I had in my beds in the back yard was poisonous to him. Especially Caladiums and some bulbs. You might try a google search for poisonous plants to Dogs.

Best of luck to you....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Last summer right after we got Caesar I took him over to my brothers house. While we were all sitting outside talking I let Caesar run around the yard. All of a sudden I look over to see this little puppy running across the yard with a flower in his mouth! And not just the flower...he had the stem, leaves, roots and even the clump of dirt surrounding the roots. He looked so proud of himself coming over to us like "Hey everybody! Look at what I found!". I took it from him and after replanting it I apologized. I'm glad my bro and his girlfriend were laughing at it. (My brothers favorite dogs are Beagles but he's allergic to them) I don't know if I'll be able to plant flowers this year either.
Charlie Mom, maybe we'll both have to plant in the front yard and leave the back for our little diggers. :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We gave up years ago having a decent garden. As Dave says, the garden is for the dogs. Even the pond is used as a swimming pool, so no fish. All one can do is put plants in high plant troughs.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob, I have tried the sand box when Charlie was couple of months old. He failed to use it, instead my yard is full of moon crater holes, winter rain came and filled those holes with water! One more thing, he dug up the smaller roots of my apple tree and chew on them. We had that apple tree for over 20 years, I don't think it will die losing a few small roots. I'm glad summer is almost here, and I'll take him to the park more often, he'll be so tire afterwards. :biglaugh: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

Charlie mom

Charlie mom

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know how big your backyard is, but have you tried putting her on a lead? We have one for Phoebe that is 25 ft long, so she has room to run in circles and jump around. Our yard is fenced in, but we have a pool, train tracks, compost heep and exposed A/C unit that could all attract a curious little pup. My little diva seems content to lay there chewing on sticks and sunbathing though. :)

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, tried that! Charlie barked and arrroooo his head off, neighbors thought I was torturing him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I simply ran out of ideas but to just let him roam around to his heart content. Meanwhile, I'll plant my roses :biglaugh: :rolleyes:
Thankss

Charlie mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I haven't had this problem with Li'l Girl, but when Traveler was a puppy he decided that the flowering peach tree we'd planted wasn't where it should be. :eyes: One of our cutest memories of his puppyhood is Traveler proudly running across the yard with the hosta blossoms he'd picked. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif He was so darned cute we couldn't get mad at him. :heart:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts