Our Beagle World Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I agree, what a transformation!
I think I recall you mentioned a while back that Henry was afraid of walking through a doorway or something, something reminded him of fear, perhaps was the shelter and his cage.
Charlie is the last to get up in the morning too!
He is just soooo spoiled!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Rhoda,

Henry is afraid of anything that is new or even appears threatening. On windy days when the trees and the branches blow and leaves swirl around, he is a nervous wreck. Like today.

It breaks my heart to think of him wandering around homeless as afraid as he is. He probably never slept...always keeping one eye open. He has an old nick in one of his ears and I often wonder how he got it and what he went through.

I am so glad he is here with us safe and loved.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
Rhoda,

Henry is afraid of anything that is new or even appears threatening. On windy days when the trees and the branches blow and leaves swirl around, he is a nervous wreck. Like today.

It breaks my heart to think of him wandering around homeless as afraid as he is. He probably never slept...always keeping one eye open. He has an old nick in one of his ears and I often wonder how he got it and what he went through.

I am so glad he is here with us safe and loved.

~Denise
Ah Denise... that post tugged extra at my heartstrings as I've wondered the same about Popcorn so many times... how on earth she could have coped with being a stray when she is so terrified of everything - and she didn't even have to contend with a catastrophe like Katrina going on around her too - just the "mean streets" of St. John, Newfoundland.

Does Henry seem calmer when he is out in open spaces? I've noticed that with Popcorn - she is extra tense and on guard when she has to walk beside a building or row of cars - much more so than when she is in an open field or the middle of the sidewalk... I'm wondering if that goes back to being a stray and wanting as much clear space around her as possible to see if someone or something was coming for her and react. Which if true just makes me really, really sad for what she went through before coming to us.

I'm so glad Henry found such a caring home - he may have been through a horrible time but he hit the jackpot eventually! And the weight, well, Booker, Popcorn and Moosie are all struggling with that too - as am I - so we hear you there as well!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
BookerMoose,

Your question/comment about how Popcorn seems more at ease in a wide open space than close to walls and cars made alot of sense.

Henry definetely sees more ghosts inside around unknown or suspicious looking corners. Outside he seems to loose all inhibitions. Although today and on windy days he stands outside and "aroos" at the woods and moving trees and leaves. Then he is afraid to come inside. I have to carry him through the door.

The one place Henry seems to look forward to going and completely relaxes is in bed. In fact, often he sits on the steps close to bedtime and waits for somebody to take him up and put him to bed. And he sleeps so soundly. Something he could not do for a long time probably.

Anyway...great observation on your part!

~Denise

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I see why you wanted him. After looking at the first picture I just want to scoop him up and snuggle him. He definately found a good home :heart: A wonderful transformation!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Caesar's Mom:
I see why you wanted him. After looking at the first picture I just want to scoop him up and snuggle him.
Brandy,

That's just how I felt! After waiting the two very long weeks for him to be vetted and transported up here to VA, I was so anxious to get him that I cried when they took him out of the truck and put him in my arms. He was so little and scared.

I didn't want to put him down!

~Denise

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.