Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching my friend the vet tech feed his beagle today and he put an entire egg shell and all on top his food. Brody the beagle destroyed the egg, he loves them apparently. My friend feeds him a raw egg with no shell twice a week and every now and then he leaves the shell.

Anyone else feed their beagle raw eggs?

-I've never seen an ugly beagle, but I've seen thousands of unattractive other dogs, is it a bias or genetics?-

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't know about raw eggs - the Beaglebratz only get scrambled every so often. I know some people will grind the egg shell into tiny pieces to give their dogs. Sounds like it mite be part of the BARF diet - can't remember for sure what all that stands for but it includes bones and raw food - all mixed up.

I'm sure someone here can help more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I feed my beag a raw egg once a week or so(he is BARF fed mostly, with some table food mixed in). Every so often he gets the shell as well (usually I am too lazy to grind the shell by hand though).

The shell is a good source of calcium (in moderation and combined with raw bones).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes the shell is a really good source of calcium, I toss them one when I am making eggs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel usually gets the egg from an Egg McMuffin about 3 weekends a month, we (I was) were lazy last weekend so he got two double cheeseburgers hold-the-bun, one Saturday for brunch and one Sunday for an afternoon treat! He only gets eggshells when the put on new help at Mickey Dees's but I'm sure it is good for him, he grinds up and eats raw bones all the time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep. Even if you beag is not on a barf diet, raw or cooked egg once in a while is good for them.

When Ben was kibble fed I used to give him a raw egg (or a cooked one) with his kibbles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Raw eggs are a great source of protein and calcium for dogs. I feed RAW and kibble and they get each get at least 3 eggs (shell and all) a week.

Eggs are great for the coat! You do not have to feed RAW to give your dogs eggs. It is ok to mix one in with the kibble a couple times a week. I personally would do shell and all because the shell has vitamins and minerals also.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but do you have to worry about salmonella?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried giving him an entire intact egg, but he just played with it. So I broke it open and HE LOVED IT, he didn't eat all the shell though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Crazy DaisyThis may be a dumb question, but do you have to worry about salmonella?
Nope... as long as the eggs are fresh and you feed them before the expiry date you will be fine. Even then - the chances of salmonella is quite small.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Smeagle is right.

Are you worried about your dog getting salmonella? They have a VERY different digestive system then we do (shorter so less absorbtion and more acids) so it isn't really a concern.

For yourself, just wash your hands afterwards and clean your prep surface, of course!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Very interesting information. I never thought about eggs and the dogs. But reading this thread reminded me of when I was a kid and we had a cat. My grandmother used to give the cat a raw egg every once in awhile and said it was good for his coat!

I also give cooked eggs, shell and all, to my birds every once in a while, they love it! Good source of calcium and protien. I thought this a little odd to be giving eggs to birds but the vet and other sources recommend it!

I will see if the beags like eggs now! Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wont the sharp edges of the shell hurt his mouth or digestive tract?

I have to board my baby this week and I was so sad and feeling guilty that I gave him a raw egg on top of his kibble as a treat.. but now I might actually think about giving him an egg a week to help make his coat pretty and less sheddy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts