Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Booker decided to eat rat poison tonight that she found under a planter box at a restaurant across the street... She got a big mouthful before I realized what she was doing and pulled her away.

We were able to get her to the emergency vet within 10 minutes and they induced vomiting - although true to her iron stomach reputation Booker decided not to throw up everything in there. There was clearly blue rat poison in what she did throw up, though, and so they then gave her charcoal mixed in food to try to stop anything that is left inside her from being absorbed. We have been warned that she might get sick and/or have diarrhea from the charcoal, and if so it will be black and stain everything (guess who gets locked in the bathroom tonight...). She gets another dose of charcoal food at 3:00 am, then we have to take her back to the vet tomorrow night to get her blood tested - if the blood test shows that her Vitamin K levels are low that means some poison was absorbed and then she has to have Vitamin K supplements for an extended period of time.

In the meantime there is nothing else we can do and she is in no immediate danger - she also seems fine and is actually quite chipper and in good spirits.

Please send us good thoughts that the blood test tomorrow night is good and we don't have to go through the next stage of treatment - and also wish us luck that we get through the night without any charcoal black tummy upsets!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oh that is terrible! Sounds like Booker will be ok, thank goodness! Positive thoughts your way!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My friend's aussie got into rat poison on her parents farm last fall. She consumed a lot of it. They did get her to an emergency vet right away. She stayed there over night and then came back to town to the vet we both use. He stayed with her the entire next night. Poor little pup was miserable for weeks. They had to use a new medication on her and it affected her appetite.
I am glad Booker is OK. It sounds like he got less than Mirage did so hopefully he will have a fast recovery.
I will be thinking of you and Booker.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ohh, Booker. I'm hoping that the charcoal does the trick and there are no long-lasting effects. I'll be thinking of you guys today.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So sorry to read about Booker! Maggie went through the charcoal treatment many years ago and it was truly a mess -- she had black stains on her face for months. Please give us an update as soon as you get the lab tests back.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good thoughts for you and Booker!

·
Registered
350 Posts
ours had it,
we gave them the vit k anyway. for one month.
Good luck with yours, best wishes.
C.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm glad it had a happy ending!

I'm amazed at how fast they can grab something. There have been times when Murphy and me are walking that he's picked something up, chewed and swallowed before it even registers with me that he did it. I realize it about the time he's smacking his lips and grinning at me.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're off to the vet in a bit to get the blood test - so far Booker has been fine all day and hasn't even had any apparent ill effects from the charcoal and is just pooping normally and hasn't thrown up again since we made her (I've always said she has a cast iron stomach). That is good for our rug etc., but I'm a bit worried that means she isn't just getting rid of everything as quickly as possible and is therefore absorbing some of it.

I'll keep you posted once we get the blood test results back - thanks to you all for all of your good thoughts and it is good to know some of you have experienced this too and your dogs were okay. Were there any ill effects from the Vitamin K, Chaboncly - just to be prepared if we have to go there?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Oh that's awful Glad Booker seems ok though, hope she continues to be fine for you ((()))

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally Posted By: BookerMooseWe're off to the vet in a bit to get the blood test - so far Booker has been fine all day and hasn't even had any apparent ill effects from the charcoal and is just pooping normally and hasn't thrown up again since we made her (I've always said she has a cast iron stomach). That is good for our rug etc., but I'm a bit worried that means she isn't just getting rid of everything as quickly as possible and is therefore absorbing some of it.

I'll keep you posted once we get the blood test results back - thanks to you all for all of your good thoughts and it is good to know some of you have experienced this too and your dogs were okay. Were there any ill effects from the Vitamin K, Chaboncly - just to be prepared if we have to go there?

absolutely none that we noticed.
and it didnt seem very expensive either.

Good luck.
C.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just heard from the vet - Booker has been given a clean bill of health following the rat poison incident and we don't need to do any further treatment. Yay! Thanks for all of the good vibes you sent - I'm sure they worked to ensure a good result!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts