Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been very lucky with the weather here in Mass. since we got Sophie 4 weeks ago. She has been enjoying the outdoors in our backyard soaking up the sun and playing with our girls. Now we are getting a lot of rain for the next few days. How do you keep your puppies busy on these days? We do not want her to roam the house since she can pee without warning.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Is she vacinated? If so take her for walks rain or shine. Make sure she is on leash though. Do you have dog parks in your area? Beagles are pretty much rain proof. A good rub down with a towel when she comes home or in from the yard and bingo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes she is caught up on all vaccinations up to 13 weeks and rabies. Unfortunately, I am at work and my wife is at home and she (my wife) is no fan of walking in the rain. I wouldn't mind walking. On a good note she has gone out again to take care of business in the rain from last report. She has plenty of things to chew on that should keep her busy. A bunch of 6 and 7 year old girls will be over after 5 for my daughters birthday party so she will be thrilled with all the kids!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I'm sure she will! My Shiloh is always so excited when company comes over! Where in Mass. are you? Yes, we have been blessed with some beautiful weather of late--but I guess we're paying for it this weekend! Have fun with your Sophie!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome to BW!! Another East Coast person here, I'm further down in Fairfield County, Ct.

I'm sure the energy in your house tonight will have little Sophie exhausted.

But we always try to get the girls out even in the rain.

I have 2 beagle girls who are 13 months old and they have a, heinz 57,older brother who will be 8 years old.

When they have to be inside we have these little (cat toy) balls that are made out of foam or something like that? We'll throw them and they will play fetch. Our only problem is they won't play fetch outside. They like to watch us throw the ball and get it for them.... :rolleye11:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pfr, Thanks. Having 2 beagles must be really nice.
Sophie will definitely have fun.
No accidents reported today. My wife has caught on to her whining signals to take her out, and she goes!

Are you anywhere near Moodus? We vacation there 1 week in the summer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Bobcat, Hope Sophie had fun at your daughters birthday party. I don't know a beagle that wouldn't... :evilgrin:

I'm located in outside of Bridgeport and New Haven. (in that area)
I think Moodus is north of here.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of Sophie!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes! Sophie had a great time. We let her out of the kitchen into the rest of the house to explore and she had a good time vacuuming up potato chip and pop corn crumbs. She was staring to steal some kids' shoes so back into the kitchen she went. There were times she fell asleep in the kitchen on her bed with all the noise going on.

Also, the rain did not bother her at all. She would go out and take care of business most of the time and she played around a lot out there. A couple of shakes and a towel rub and she is clean and dry! I will see if I got some party pics with her later.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does she have a treat toy like a kong? Those, or a safe bone if you feel comfortable with it are nice for rainy days. If you have a space inside where she can run safely, you could let her chase treats. Have her sit next you you, then throw the treat down the hall. When she gets it, call her back to you and give her another one, then repeat the process. When my dog plays this game, we have to slow him down sometimes because he'll try to run while eating, and we're afraid he might choke. You can also hide treats and toys in a room, and let her sniff them out. If it's cold out we also do some of the dog IQ tests. Not to test his intelligence but because puzzles can tire a dog out too. You can find a lot on google.

The ones I remember off hand are: putting a treat under a cup on the floor, and letting him figure out how to get it, putting a treat in an empty pop bottle, and letting the dog learn how to dump it out, or putting a treat in an empty toilet paper tube, crimping the sides and letting the dog get it out (careful, this last one might result in lots of shredded paper, or eaten paper if your beagle is into that). See a theme here? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Most beagles will work really hard if there's yummy smelling food involved.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Well, I have 2 beagles as well (best decision ever getting the 2nd one) but on rainy days, they just play in the house. if they are getting mbored, I take them into the basemnet and throw the ball for them. They run for a while and get a little tired. I also work on some trainign with them when they are stuck in the house and they usually get a kong with a chicken strip in it to keep them busy. For the most part though, they entertain themselves.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sophie is a little doll. I am surprised that she got through the party without painted nails and at least a little face painting! :evilgrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts