Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!! As it has been raining, and plans to rain, all week here in the Northeast...I was wondering if anyone had any fun rainy day activities with their pups?!?! I have her toys to throw and retrieve. We play tug with some of her toys. Just not sure what else to do?!!? Any ideas would be so appreciated!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
WE normally do the same things, my boys and I. But you know we are hounds, and on a cold rainy day, we like to curl up under the blankies and read a good book.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I take a handful of kibble and hide it then have them all seek. That keeps them busy. Or I take a bunch of cookies and run up and down the hall, make them stay, release them from the stay for treats, and repeat. Its fun to get them all into a stay and they seem to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie and I sometimes take a short walk in the rain. After that she is happy to cuddle up in her blanket for a nap. She doesn't seem to mind rain unless it is a heavy downpour.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Northeastern here with the same issues! R loves to play find it. I take a slice of deli meat or cheese and cut it to small pieces. I place a piece in his kong and have him wait while I hide it. Sometimes it's upstairs, sometimes just under a chair, maybe in the next room. One never knows!

I give the find it command, he runs to find it and must bring the kong back to me and drop it - and then he gets treated again! We can play this for at least 30-45 minutes. I think it's a great mentally stimulating game for him - plus enforces the stay/wait command, drop it, etc.

Also a great time to just work on standard obedience training...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do some obedience work and the find it trick as well. Although Henry is finally starting to understand how great it feels to be lazy on rainy days!

·
Registered
511 Posts
We do a couple things with Murphy. There is a squeak toy (looks like a rubber lion) that we toss down the hall. He loves to chase after it and bring it back. We can do that for 20-30 minutes and it's probably as good as a mile walk for Murphy.

I also will hide a few treats (not just on rainy days). I've always felt it helps with mental stimulation and gives them something to find.

We try to work on his obedience daily-he's doing great with sit, stay, shake, roll over, dance, etc. Rainy days we probably do a bit more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben has not yet discovered that rainy days are meant for being lazy.

We play fetch in the kitchen, or get a good game of monkey in the middle going (Ben is always the monkey. lol!). He also likes to play wrestle with daddy and play ministicks hockey in the basement.

If it is not raining too hard we usually still go for a walk.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
A good thing about beagles is that they are small! Molly uses the house like a race track and tears around until she reaches exhaustion. My greyhounds can't really do that, so they get more cabin fever than Moll does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys! Thanks for the suggestions. Zoe isn't as small as a normal beagle since she is part lab
We don't really let her aroudn the whole house yet either seeing that she gets into everything and likes to chew it. When she is supervised, though, we do talk walks around the house so she can sniff around and lay down wherever she wants. I will try to do the find it command and game. The thing with throwing her toy back and forth and playing fetch - she gets bored of it after 10 min tops!! She really needs to be more stimulated. Even on nice days when I throw the ball in the backyard, she loves to run around for about 10 min. tops. Ha! I will try to use more yummy treats if she is doing training in the other parts of the house!! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
put on your rain gear and take er for walk.
if she is with you, she wont care if she's wet!!
C.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
He, he, we used to try to drum up things for our pups to do when they were young. Ours love Nylabones. Sadie and Pooh Bear are 9 years old now and love to curl up with a banket and a movie. One advantage of having senior Beagles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts