Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a radio fence for our dog. She has started escaping out our front door and running away from us and it's really hard to get her back. My concern is that she is a very anxious and scared dog and I'm afraid the radio signal would terrify her. But on the other hand, we live on a busy road and she could be hit by a car if she runs out. We can't get a physical fence on our property right now. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Put a leash on your dog in the house. My dog always has one on at all times. If you need to go out the door you can hold the leash, tie the leash on the knob or secure the dog before opening. Or if you're coming in I recommend keeping the dog in another area like a kitchen that is closed off.
Beagles will run away given the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If there is something exciting to chase (say a squirrel), a dog in drive could easily run through the e-fence line. Just something to consider.

·
Super Moderator
5,163 Posts
I don't trust those fences at all for scent hounds or sight hounds. Beagles are very tough to train recall. It is very possible to teach the dogs that the door is not a place to run out of and you just need to be vigilant in having you whole family be careful. Our beags know that the front and garage doors are leash only. They have to sit and stay (on leash) until they are told told it's okay to go. If you have an e-fence and there is a rabbit or cat out beyond your yard, the dog will most likely run right thru it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts