Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Here is the layout by numbers of all the stuff in the rack and what it all does and or is for:

1) Switches – The top switch is a spare as incase of a failure of the two primary switches you can just change over and fix it on your leisure. A switch is something that takes data packets from one place and transfers it to another computer or network location. When you click on a web page or request data from a server it takes that request and sends it to the proper server. The data is then returned through the proper location to your computer.

2) Neat Bay – this hides the ball of wires used to connect the switches to the patch bay.

3) Patch Bay – This unit is what hooks all the server network cards to a single point as so you can connect the computers or servers to the switches with ease. It is sort of like the old telephone operator’s stations where they manually placed calls to and from your home to another location. As technology got better electronic switches had replaced the telephone-switching operators.

4 and 6) Servers – These specialized computers are designed with many functions and abilities. They have several different server software server packages designed to facilitate your interactions with the internet. Contained are the DNS (Domain Name Service), Web, FTP (File Transfer Protocol), Email, Telnet, and ASP (Active Server Page) Servers.

The DNS servers take a request from your browser and translate it to something your computer recognizes. When you type in a web site location such at http://www.adomainname.com your computer goes to the register authority and then finds out what is the DNS server for that domain name. Your computer then request information from the DNS server such at the server IP address. Now your computer is directed to the proper web server. Once there your computer asks for the page you specified from that domain name. All this takes about 20 milliseconds. The server now sends out the proper information you requested to you.

The web server sends information to your browser per your request. Other aspects of a web server are server side scripting, such as the software on this community. You send a request and the server or community software complies the information instantly and generates the page you see and sends it back to your web browser. Each and every page you see in the BW community is unique to just you and generated just for you. No two pages are exactly the same.

The FTP server allows you to place files on the server or take files from the server and place a copy on your local computer. This is required to update web sites or make backups of web sites with continually changing data such as BW. You can also do other functions with the FTP software but that will only confuse you.

The Email server allows you to send and receive email or other type spam mail through your internet account on the web server. This also allows for email to be sent to you through automated forums such as BW.

The Telnet server allows the server administrator to do things in the server via a command line interface to fix or repair certain problems in the server. No point and click here but only command line text.

The ASP server is more or less for emulating IIS server type .asp pages similar to Perl or PHP type interactive server page generating services.

5) KVM Console – this allows you to interface with the servers running in the rack. KVM is Keyboard Video and Mouse. You need a little server attached to the console. This is located in item 7 in the photo.

7) KVM Server – Described in section 5.

8) Routing Switch – This switch is dedicated to the communications between the rack and head unit. This passes data between the IP Gateway and the rack.

9) Patch Bay – This patch bay is dedicated to the transfer of the data between the switches in the front and of the rack to the headstand.

Unseen here and not added or completed at this time is the PDU (Power Distribution Unit) and UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). These units have not been placed in the rack at this time but will be installed at a later time.

The PDU allows for remote access to the power controls to each server or equipment on a single basis. You can monitor power consumption and if a particular power channel has been drawing more then it was set to draw it will send a message to my cell phone with a problem report. This sill also alert if the power consumption has stopped for that channel indicating that a server or equipment has stopped working in the rack.

The UPS delivers a steady power flow to the PDU and then to each piece of equipment in the rack. If a power interruption or surge this will send the proper voltage out to the equipment taking the brunt of the problem in order to protect the racks equipment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice little unit you have there. I should try to get a pic of the set up at my work. I work for and internet website security company to make sure people are compliant with the payment card industry. We deal with companies all over the US, UK, Europe, and parts of the middle east. They just did an update on our servers that would make this little guy go in the corner and cry!

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm just a little company. The entire rack is built from the ground up by me, Nothing stock in the thing. Everything paid for out of my pocket with no bank loans or partners.

If I were a large corporation I would have tons more and it wouldn't be in my home.

I would love to see your companies equipment though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts