Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Java does NOT bark at all. I guess I should appreciate that, because as far as I know that's not indicative of any medical conditions. He does, however, whine or chirp A LOT. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to limit this with any sort of training? At first, it broke my heart hearing him whine because I associated it with crying, but I now think it's his Hey look at me, bub! sound.

He DOES have some separation anxiety and tends to use this vocalization method, so I know I need to work on that too. Will a packmate/companion help with separation anxiety and will it distract him enough to ease the stress? Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Based on what I've read about dogs and wolves, and how dogs changed as they became domesticated, whining is more of a puppy/lower in the pack type of behavior, and barking is more adult/dominant. How old is Java?

Of course, maybe he's just trying to talk. I've heard of dogs trying to imitate human speech with whining and chirping.

The only idea I have about training would be to school yourself to NEVER react to a whine, and wait for Java to come up with a new way to get your attention. Or, a quiet or hush command could apply to whining as well as to barking.

Sylvia

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is I would say one of the more quiet Beagles. she doesn't just howl at everything, but only at stuff the intimidate her (from some reason), or at big dogs across the street (when they come closer she's fine).
She does whine sometimes, especially during play (ball rolling under the TV table) or when she is bored and just wonders around the apartment doing nothing...

Give Java time. Look at it this way, Sandy's Li'l Girl just started howling not long ago.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two girls didn't bark or bay until they were about a year old. Then they started little by little. Now Jasmine will find something. She will bay and stop and look to see if anyone is coming and if not bay again. She will continue until she gets someones attention. Then I have Maggie (my lemon---Blonde) who bays at nothing. When they are inside and they start, I keep hushing them or tell them to use there inside voices.LOL!!!

I don't know much about the whining and seperation as my two have each other...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mugsy is 4 months old now and he still really doesn't bark much. Sometimes he sees something in someone else's yard that he wants, so he'll bark at it (balls, tiki torches, invisible stuff), or he'll bark at us if we're playing. For the most part though, he still whines a lot. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it is just a puppy thing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you get a playmate for Java without dealing with his separation anxiety, it's likely he could stress his new buddy out with your comings and goings. That being said, a friend might be a good distraction once he's a little more comfortable with being left alone.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel has barked 5 times in the 10 and half years he's been with me. Four times in defense of his pack (me and my friends) and once to alert me the police were chasing a prowler through my backyard at 2:00 in the morning. Some beagles only bark when it is absolutely necessary.

The Bagel does arrooo when he sniffs or finds prey to get me to help. He also arrrooos if he sees a friendly dog while walking and either him or that dog is prevented (<span style="font-style: italic">usually by a leash or fence</span>) from immediately going and greeting his soon to be new friend.

He still whines if he wants me to do something and <span style="font-weight: bold">the stare </span>doesn't convey his message. Example: He needs out to go potty so he goes to the door, jumps up and hits it with his front paws to get my attention and gives me <span style="font-weight: bold">the stare </span>as if to say <span style="font-style: italic">do you understand</span>. If I don't respond properly he will come over to me and whine. He is at least 13 years old, hardly a puppy anymore.

Yes, having a canine buddy would help with separation anxiety and reduce Java's stress. Our beagles use barks, whines, arrooos, and other vocalizations to communicate with us. Sadly it takes us humans much longer to learn to understand beagle than it takes our beagles to learn to understand necessary human phrases.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy whines to me more than barks or bays, but she has found her voice and uses it very well if it involves the cat. Since Daisy is gated to certain rooms it drives her crazy to see the cat in an area where she can't get to her and that's when she barks or bays. Otherwise, she does still whine a lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The first week Hailey would bark when I put her in her crate (I have the wire type) and a couple sprays to the face with a squirt bottle of water quickly put that to rest.

Now, she whines two times. The first is when she really needs to go potty and she's in her crate and the other is when I leave the house (but this is only occassionaly for some reason).

I know she has SA also because if I'm away from the house for over 2 hours she will piddle her crate; which she shouldn't because she should technically be able to hold it for 3-4 hours being 3mo old (that and she can hold it longer if i'm actually home). I have yet to hear an aroo...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the fantastic insight, folks!

Java's only about 9.5 months old, so he still has time to find his inner beagle. So as Sylvia mention, I think this could be due to his puppyhood or his pack status (he is just naturally omega and always feels the need to be a clown).

He could definitely use the company of another dog, but I don't want him to stress out the other dog if that could happen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Quiet beagles? and separation anxiety question

Mine doesn't bark or arooo much in the house, only if she's trying to warn me about something very important (you know, something really scary like a horse going past
) but she does whine when she wants to go out in the garden or occasionally to get my attention, and she also tends to squeak (!) a lot too when she's running round with a sock or a bone in her mouth! If anyone knows what that's about I'd love to hear it...

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Re: Quiet beagles? and separation anxiety question

I soooooo envy all of you with beagles that don't bark much. My previous beagle Molly was not much of a barker, but Maggie is another story. She barks incessantly at any little sound, especially at night when it's dark. She also barks when she wants to play, or if she's bored, and when she's on a barking roll, she's been known to bark continously for over an hour. Talk about getting on your nerves!

Add that to the fact that she's six months old and not potty trained, and that she chews a path of destruction through my house on a daily basis, and it's a wonder the Maggster still has a home! LOL

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks to my darling human sons, both of our beagles learned to arooo by the time they were 6 months old. Now it is just something that Cobi does. The boys would sit them both down, and say a very quiet woof.... and soon both four legged sons were voicing their opinions without being asked. That's one of the endearing qualities we love about beagles...and the neighbors don't complain, because NO ONE is coming into our neighborhood without Cobi knowing about it and alerting the other 24 dogs about it. Truly, 24 assorted breeds in a two square block area.

Cathy J

I've been flagged --- twice!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Scout really didn't bark until she started playing with other dogs. Actually she got most of her behavior from other dogs. She lays on the tile when she is hot because she saw her friend do it. She barks at other dogs to play with her because that's how another dog wanted her to play with it. She barks at me to play too when I chase her around and then stop. The one thing that she does do is bark at things on the other side of our fence. Its a wood fence so she can't see but if someone is walking on the sidewalk and she hears it she will bark at them. I guess its more of a protection thing which on one hand is nice to know, on the other I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

The funniest bark is when she is chasing another dog and isn't fast enough. Its like a hey slow down, I can't keep up!.

We used to think she wouldn't be a barker, of course we also thought she didn't shed. Put down wrong for both of those.

On a side note, anyone know of a good way to curb barking. We haven't had any complaints but I am always conscious of it especially when its past 9:00pm or before 9:00am and am quick to try to get her inside.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our present two bark if they see another dog, horse or animal pass by the garden. Or out on a walk. Occasionally they both go mad in the night and we take it some animal was outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At first, my Scooby wasn't much of a talker. He did not have a great first owner and does have some separation anxiety issues. However, since coming to live with us he has found his arooo. But, he doesn't use it very much. The only time he uses it around the house is if he is frustrated with the cats (they pick on him the bullies) or if we take and hide his squeak-squeak (aren't we mean??!!). When we go to the dog park he is pretty quiet unless another Beagle gets him going. Then it is hilarious!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts