Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody! I just have a quick question for you all. Has any of your pets (and I know there are some)been on Rimadyl? And if so did they have any side effects and if so what were they.My dog Todd (beagle/basset) sprained his neck on Saturday and the vet put him on this medication last night. I have been coming to Beagle World for a long time and reading about all your beagle's (I feel like I know them all), but I have only posted a couple of times. If you could give me some insight I would be grateful.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry to hear about Todd! My vet does not prescribe Rimadyl and many folks on the Cushings forum that I belong to have talked about negative side effects (bloody stools, CNS problems). Here is a link that might help you decide:

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html

Metacam (which is a liquid med) is one alternative you might want to ask your vet about. There are many others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Judy! I actually did pull that website up this morning. You know when your furbabies are sick it is just as heartbreaking as when your own kids are sick. Sometimes I think it is worse because they can't tell you what is wrong. He looked sooo sad on Sunday evening it looked as if he was going to cry.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I try to stay away from Rimadyl if at all possible since when it first came out I gave it to my Shadow (Rainbow Bridge) and shortly after starting to take it he developed a perforated ulcer and peritonitis. There hadn't been a study of side effects then, but since then, it's been shown to cause digestive problems in some dogs. I'm convinced it's what caused Shadow's terrible illness.

Our Misty is on Dermaxx, and has been for a few years. She's had absolutely no side effects from it.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Hi! My Shiloh is a bagle (beagle/bassett) too!! She has some arthritis in her hips and although my vet put her on Rimadyl for awhile and she didn't experience any side effects, he later put her on Deramaxx because he said there had been fewer reports of side effects. You also might want to look into an OTC supplement called GlycoFlex. My vet recommended it, but you can also get it at a pet food store li Petco, etc. It has glucosamine and ground mussels, which makes it smell very fishy. We call it the stinky fish pill. It has helped Shi's arthritis too, but of course, being a supplement, it doesn't act as quickly as a prescription drug. Poor Todd. I hope he feels better soon. How did he sprain his neck?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've heard about problems with Rimadyl, but have not experienced those with Lucy. She has periodic neck/back problems, and we have used the Rimadyl to get over those flare-ups. Since we have only had to use it for a few days at a time, I have not worried about the effects that mostly appear with long use. Just my two cents; from about 5 years of experience.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had to use it temporarily for my Chopper too, we think he was hit by a car when he got loose. The vet said he just fractured his pelvis though, so it got him thru those first few days of pain. Nothing long term as far as side effects that I can tell, that was over 6 months ago I guess /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Judi and the crew

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My goodness, poor Todd!! Hope he is feeling better quick.

Sadie has taken Rimadyl with no side effects. She took it for about 6 months with a bout of pain from a herniated disk. We were able to get her feeling better with rest and the Rimadyl. I think it is a great medication.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the good news is that Todd seems to be doing much better. I can tell because now he is racing me to get the cat food. No side effects yet (knock on wood). How he sprained his neck is on Saturday my daughter and I took Todd to a dog wash(where you do it yourself) to bath him, and when I turned on the blow dryer he started jerking all around, so I think that is how it might have happened. Todd isn't the real active type so that has to be how he did it. I am just glad he is feeling better. I was scared because I have read all your posts on Beagle World and the problems some of your beagles have had with backs and hips, so I knew it was in their nature to have problems. But my baby is back to his old self!!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
So glad your Todd is feeling better!! :animal18: That's great news! Give him a hug from us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts