Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get on the boards at all yesterday - work was too crazy. Monday night we went out to dinner to celebrate our oldest DD passing her State boards (esthitician - I think I spelled that wrong). Anyway, when we got home I took his pain patch off and then let everybody out in the yard. When he was done, I put Buster back in the playpen. I remembered that he had not had his Rimadyl yet so I went to get it. When I came back he was flat out on his side panting heavily and pooping. I got him cleaned up and called the vet. Luckily our vet is open 24/7. They said it sounded like he was in pain and to give him the Rimadyl, and then another codeine at midnight. I ended up pushing the Rimadyl down because he made no effort to chew. He continued pooping. I told my husband I was taking him in now. We wrapped him in a towel and took off. The vet is only about 5 min from our house. When we got there the assistant took him from me to get his vitals and he threw up. The girl behind the desk said it was white and foamy and I looked and said no it's cottage cheese (his dinner). Apparently he continued throwing up in the back. Turns out to be a reaction to the codeine. I am glad I did not wait and then give him another one. He ended up staying the night and I picked him up yesterday morning. He was so eager to go home that he was even putting weight on the surgery side to go a little faster. I took off his cone in the car and when we got home he went right into his pen and took a big drink of water - YAY - and then a big nap. I put his inflatible collar back on and I saw him drink more water last night. So just a brief scare and a few more gray hairs for Mom.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Oh my!! how scary and frightening for you. Glad that they were able to figure out what the problem was so quickly and that he is OK now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh my gosh, poor Buster! You must have been scared out of your mind. So glad that you took him in and found out what the culprit was. Give him gentle hugs from all of us. Hope he feels better today.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
What a relief that he is back home and feeling a bit better.

And a vet opened 24/7, five minutes away from the house? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif How lucky can that be?

Denise

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I always think we suffer more than our fur kids when they are sick!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif Thank goodness Buster is okay! Always trust your instincts -- you know your pup better than anyone. Believe me, I know what it's like to have one thing after another.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh my goodness, how scary! I'm glad to hear that Buster is OK though. Poor little guy. Give him some extra belly rubs from me and Jersey! I hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally Posted By: Li'l Maggie...did they replace the Codeine with a different pain medication?
No, he is just on Rimadyl now. When he came home with the codeine the bottle instructions said "as needed", so I asked the vet the day after the surgery when they called to see how he was doing how long I should continue to give it and they said for a couple more days. I had thought to myself Monday when I got his dinner ready that since he seemed to be doing so much better I would stop the pills the next day and then two hours later we were on our way to the vet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts