Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our newly adopted 8 year old Beagle, Snickers, is having a difficult time adjusting to our new home. She was very close to her former owner, who is leaving the country and can't take her with her. We have 8 year old twins and no other pets. We've had Snickers three days now, and she still cries quite a bit, and seems to be really sad. She enjoys going on walks, is great with the kids, goes to work with my husband during the day (so is rarely left alone) but would really just rather lie on the couch then play with us in the yard. I am wondering what the activity level usually is for an 8 year old Beagle? She is healthy now, it seems (she's going to the vet on Thursday for a check up), but I am wondering how many years Beagles usually live healthy active lives (barring some unforeseen circumstance.) What are reasonable expectations as far as her activity level in the coming years? She has such a sweet personality and rarely barks, but really lacks much spunk. Her former owner (who had her since she was 2) said that she's never been interested in toys, balls or playing. For now, we have her on a consistent schedule, and are giving her all the love and attention that we can. ALso, I have never in my life had a dog before (although my husband has) and wonder if maybe my expectations may be unrealistic. Any thoughts from owners of older Beagles would be helpful.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My hounds have always been very active, but never playful. My twelve year old still has at least an hour and a half walks a day as did his father who died aged 13 and a half.
I have not had young kids with these two but would think if your twins interact with her she will learn that they are fun to be around.
It is very early days and she must be feeling confused. Let her take things at her own speed and do not pressurise her and I am sure she will be fine.

·
Registered
667 Posts
First of...THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking in an older beagle. How horrible is it that her family of so many years gave her up, Imagine what she is going through, it must be horrible for her!!

Give her some time, I know she will warm up to you guys. Now she is confused, missing her family she had for all those years. Soon, you will become her family, and you will notice change...Dogs are just amazing like that!!

It took my rescue, Snoopy 6 months to even run around or play with a toy...6 months!!! I slept with him on the floor for a week (at that time FI wouldnt let him on the bed and he was crated, and he cried all night long) My hand had to be touching him at all times at night..it was horrible and heart breaking.

Now, the happiest beagle you would ever see, it is amazing.

It is going to take a lot of patience on your part. It is a very traumatic experience to be given up by a family that you lived your life with...personally I dont see how anyone could do that to their dog. We were almost kicked out of our appartment a few years ago when they approved dogs, we got Snoopy, then they said we had to leave a year later b/c of 'policy' changes...I told them I would NEVER give up my dog for where I live...they let us stay.
Then, we wanted to go to Hawaii for 6 months to work as doctors there after residency, we let go of that dream b/c of Snoopy, we thought they would have to quarintene him for 6 months...forget it...sorry, Im just venting a bit

Anyway, please give her some time....she is confused and doesnt know you, she lost her only family she knew, and she has to adjust....she will come around.

Good luck, and thanks again for taking her in

Manda

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
There are many members on the board with rescued dogs. My Calvin was three or four when I adopted him. Be patient with Snickers; dogs grieve their former lives while learning to trust their new ones. It takes about a month for their REAL personalities to peek through.

Calvin didn't play much when I adopted him, but has learned about balls and toys because Maggie taught him. It took about a year.

As for Snickers' age: She is considered a 'senior' dog, so her energy level won't be like a young dog. Give her time, and she will repay your love one hundred times over by doing her best to fit into her new family.

THANK YOU for adopting her. It warms my heart when families rescue a dog!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I think it will take time. Just think she is mourning the loss of her previous loved owner. Ours are both 8. Sadie has more energy than Pooh Bear. Pooh Bear loves to go on walks and loves to lay on the couch and sleep. At 8 they are starting to slow down. Pooh Bear does love to chew on toys, especially the softer Nylabones.

Give her time and it is wonderful that you took this darlin in as your new baby.

Maybe later you could add a playmate for her.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think the idea mentioned in your welcome thread of obedience classes in the future is a good one. It would be an opportunity for the kids to bond with Snickers. As we have discussed, I think in the future you might want to consider another dog. Since Snickers has lived with a dog she might enjoy the companionship.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Bonnie - Ihave ten (count 'em) beagles, ranging from almost 8 down to 1 year. Princess is my oldest, and she's never been very playful (she's much too REGAL to PLAY /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif - she's been with us since she was 8 weeks old. With ten dogs they all have different personalities - some are extremely playful (mostly the kids that are born here) - some not so playful - I have a little rescue who was about 3 when she came here and she didn't know HOW to play - she'd always been a "kennel dog" - and it's a real joy now to see her bounce around and play (tho she still isn't as active as some of the other "kids"). Chloe is 7 and still plays like a puppy - she's my perennial puppy. I don't think there is a "one size fits all" with beagles - as a general rule mine are all active and playful. I do know a little of the background of your little girl - I believe you're the <u>second</u> rescue home she's had - and (this is just my opinion), it's going to take her a little while to get adjusted to another new home - it CAN be done, but will take a little time. I have a friend who adopted a 9 month old beagle, he had been in 3 homes by the time he was 9 months old - she was determined that Toby had found his "forever home" - and it was a long road for her (and Tobes)- he had been abused (I know that Snickers was bonded to her former owner - she's going to be sad for a while - wouldn't you be?) - I think the obedience school is a good idea - Margie took Toby to basic, then advanced obedience school - (admittedly Toby was younger) - eventually he got his Canine Good Citizen Award - and was trained to be a therapy dog - which he and Margie both love!
What I'm saying is that "rescues" have some issues perhaps that puppies don't have - and it takes a little time to get over those issues. From what I understand her former owner loved her and hated to lose her, but is leaving the country and can't take the dog. Give her some time, she'll come around - she may NEVER be as playful as you'd like for her to be - some just aren't /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/alien1.gif And SOME you WISH would calm down a little! Connie had a good idea - a 2nd dog might be just what this little lady needs! Beagles are pack animals, and seem to do much better with playmates. The little guy playing with the football in this picture had been a "working dog" before he came here - and never played - he does now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Again, you've got some good advice. I guess how active an 8 year beagle is depends on the beagle and what routine Snickers has gotten a custom to. My Bagel was between 3 and 5 when I rescued him and that was 10+ years ago. He spends his weekdays patroling the backyard, still get the zoomies a couple times a day and on weekends still goes full steam ahead for hours at a time. I have noticed that now he does like to take a short nap after about 4 hours digging and lizard hunting but 30 minutes later is ready to go again. Bagel is almost twice as old as Snickers and I suspect after the vet confirms it, it will just take some time for Snickers to move on and embrace her new pack as she now misses her old pack. Time and love works everytime with a rescue.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would think you are experiencing several different things going on with Snickers. I bet she is depressed and, just like humans with depression, she may just not feel like doing anything but laying around. Also, Bob made a good point -- her former routine may not have included a lot of activity. I have an almost 13-year old beagle, Maggie, who has always been laid back -- probably because that is how I am. When I adopted Maggie at about 1 year of age, she had absolutely no idea how to play with toys/balls and I spent many hours trying to teach her with no luck. That said, she developed her own games, mostly involving "chase" (or what we on BW call "zoomies"), running around the house being chased by me! I expect that Snickers will start to perk up as she adjusts to your family's routines and you may well see her get involved with games. You can try to entice her but you don't want to force anything on her.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Thank you so much for taking in Snickers. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_exclaim.gif
TIME + PATIENCE is what I think is needed, Snickers will come around.
A little story about Suzanna, she was tied outside all of her life, she was 9 yrs when she came to live with my pack, she didn't know how to play, was afraid of everything...one day I found her playing with one of my slippers, it was a happy day for both of us, but it did take quite awhile for it to happen(a couple months)
We had her for 5 yrs, she was the sweetest. I still have that slipper, whenever I look at it, it just warms my heart /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif
Sorry about my rambling, it just that your sitution reminded me of Suzanna's.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Questions about newly adopted 8 year old Beagl

My Li'l Girl is a rescue who was 1 to 1-1/2 when we adopted her. That was in July, 2000. She didn't know how to play with toys, and she still seldom does. Her play usually consists of rough housing with our youngest dog, Spook. She and I have a game called, "Beagle in the blankie", which she sometimes wants to play. All in all, though, she's just not much for toys, etc.

We have fenced acreage, so her activity level varies with the seasons. During the winter, she snoozes a lot. Now that spring has arrived, she's out for hours at a time. When it gets hot, she won't be as active. I guess I'm saying the activity level varies.

I'm sure Snickers is confused right now, but time and patience should make her realize she has a new loving family.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

We have three rescue beagles and I agree with all the advice you have been given already - especially that I think there are two different things involved and until Snickers gets used to her new surroundings you won't really know for sure which is which.

Firstly, she is definitely needing some time to adjust to her new surroundings. We adopted our three at 3 1/2, 1 1/2 and 8 months of age, and each one adapted differently and at a different speed - I think it just depends on the individual dog and the changes they are going through from their former lives... and it will be a while before Snickers' true personality emerges and you just have to ride it out.

Secondly, though, even amongst our three there is a huge difference in energy levels. Our first and eldest, Booker, sounds very much like Snickers - she has never understood or played with toys, and except for walks, her primary activity during the day is to move her sleeping location from one place in the house to another and adjust the blankets in her bed to provide for the most comfortable sleeping arrangement. But she LOOOOOOVES going for walks, and will prance around and become super animated when she knows something is "apaw"... she also does her happy-dance every night at dinnertime (just like Snoopy). Her energy level was just the same (low to nonexistent) when we got her at 3 1/2 as it is now at 11 - and she was also my first dog and I remember exactly those same thoughts as you are expressing - like surely this can't be normal?!?!

We even adopted our second beagle in part to stimulate Booker so she would actually play a bit and become more active... although Moosie was ready and willing it didn't really work out that way, and eventually we got a third and even younger beagle in part to give Moosie something to do (and it did work that time)!

Good luck and hang in there - and maybe you'll end up in a few years with several beagles just like we did!!

·
Registered
271 Posts

Just like everyone else said, it will just take time. I have an 8 year old beagle, and she sleeps during the day alot (we are at work), but she is a toy lover. My other dogs are not beagles, but they are not toy lovers. She gets the zoomies when we get home.

Molly is not a big "outdoor" dog. She only goes out to do her business and comes back in the doggy door. My lab and JRT on the other hand, love it outside. So, it just depends on the personality of the dog.

I think Snickers has to get used to the change of her life and then her true personality will come out. Just keep giving her love.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts