Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering adopting a 10 month old male Beagle named Copper. He has not been neutered yet. If we adopt him we plan to neuter him right away. However, we notice that he humps our kids. I have heard that once a dog learns this behaviour that he will continue to do it even after he is neutered. Is this true? I'd be interested in knowing, as this is a factor in our decision on whether or not to adopt him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
One of my first dogs was an unneutered male shepherd who I adopted at about 3 months of age. He never humped anything or anyone. Then, many years later, I adopted Maggie who was a 1 year old spayed female and she humped everything in sight for several months. It was very embarrassing to have friends over! She even tried to hump my girlfriend's unneutered male dog who totally freaked out. Then one day she stopped and has never done it since -- I have no clue why. Not sure that will really help you ...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would say that humping of a human would more be a dominance thing than a sexual thing. We've just rehomed our foster boy, he was neutured 3 days before we got him and he was a notorious humper. He never tried to hump us, but did try to hump our speyed girls. Plus most of the dogs in the dog park. At home he was the bottom of the pack. In the dog park, I think he tried to become top of the pack.

One night my brother in law and nephew came over and he tried to hump them. We immediately hit his nose and took him off and put him in a forced sit between our legs.

With a dog like that, it's hard to say whether it's dominance or sexual. You never know how a dog will change after they are speyed. You would have to be very strict with your pack leadership and show copper that he was the bottom of the pack in order for him to respect your children and not try to exert his dominace above them.

I hope I've had sense.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You might ask your vet and see what he/she says about it. Toby and Lucky both hump sometimes, for dominance, but they haven't tried on people either. I am guessing it is more about dominance, but a vet might be able to tell you more and if neutering will stop it. A dog trainer might be another resource for information on humping people.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I too think that humping is mainly a dominant thing in neutered dogs. I also think that right training/education and being a "true pack leader" (as Cesar say) will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Vinny was fixed when he 8 months. It seems he humps more now than before. It is one of the great mysteries of "dogdom"

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree that it is more "dominance" than "sexual" - my JoJo will "hump" her daughter, Angel, when Angel has something JoJo wants - Bella "humps" her brother Jack for the same reason - it's like "give it up - I'm the boss here". NONE of my dogs try "humping" humans though - but have been around dogs who do try "leg riding" and it's darned annoying!
I'm NOT going to tell you that the "humping" will go away with neutering, because it might not. My girls are just as bad (if not worse) than the boys - one of the worst "humpers" I ever had was a spayed female. Sorry this isn't much help.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The humping may never go away, but you can definitely learn to control it. If you make it clear to the dog that humping humans is not okay, I don't think it will remain a problem. My neutered male occasionally tries to hump other dogs, but he knows humans are off limits. I would recommend a stern correction as soon as he even looks like he's going to hump you (usually 'the nuzzle'), which could be 'No' or a poke in the shoulder combined with no, then immediately remove him, sort of like time out. You could put him in another room away from the family by himself for a few minutes, with no eye contact or talking. He'll get the picture pretty quick that humping gets him absolutely nothing good. Hope this helps. Oh, and refrain from using an open hand to discipline him. This will only make him hand shy. I use a swift poke with my closed fist and my index finger. This really takes them by surprise and isn't scary like being smacked or slapped.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky did not start humping until after he was fixed. He never humps humans because he knows he is not supposed to. He humps to show dominance. He does have a toy he likes to hump and I am not sure if that is dominance or sexual.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When we first rescued Josie she would hump me and my wife when she could, but she was just trying to figure out how she ranked in our pack. Since then she doesn't try anymore except sometimes when I get down on the floor to play with her and her ball, she'll sometimes be trying to get it from me and it will turn into her humping my arm. It's just a dominance thing...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue humps a little even though he has been fixed. It is mostly with Greg when they are playing, and we have noticed he has to have a toy in his mouth when he attempts it. Greg was gone for a week and he didn't try with me or my parents. Greg got home and that was how Blue decided to greet him. Apparently he thinks he needs to show Greg he is dominant, but he learns very quickly that he isn't the big dog!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree that it's a dominance thing. Caesar tried to hump our legs when he was younger but we put an end to it immediatley. Now he humps Emma (our german shepherd) when they're playing and Caesar wants to show her who's boss.

·
Registered
751 Posts
it's dominance, not sexual at all. Once neutered, it will subside. Not right away, but won't take long. Marley used to do it, then did it a few times after being fixed, but has not done it in ages now. Vet said it takes a bit for the remaining hormone to go, but he should stop it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Charlie is just 3 months and tries humping my 4 yr old son's back /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif He does it while they are playing so I'm pretty sure it's a "dominance" thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts